Education - Just Marks/Grades or Acquiring Real Knowledge?

^ Yes, it is. The grading system was introduced in WBBSE (West Bengal Board of Secondary Education) in 2007 I think, and now the other two boards we have in the country (CBSE and ICSE) are planning its implementation as well.

CBSE has done it.ICSE will never do it.

CISCE gives a firm 'No' to making ICSE exams optional, Today News - By Indiaedunews.net

IIRC the ICSE CEO had come to our school once.When someone asked about grading system.He called it a 'ridiculous' concept.In ICSE we have both grades and marks.

HRD Ministry has proposed a plan in which selection for IIT will be based on 70% XII Board Marks and 30% Aptitude test.

Absolutely crap! Those hardworking students will lag behind those less-knowledge crammers if this system is implemented.
IIT requires extra knowledge, not just XII knowledge.:(

And that is the bloody problem, it shouldn't require extra knowledge if it just wants to test a candidates brain! Aptitude tests only ARE the way to go!

:confused:
I mean only those who know more than what is taught in XII deserve to go in IIT. I am not against aptituse tests but am against 70% weightage to XII boards.

varun_rustagi added 0 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Give us a link please.
Thankfully they have only proposed,not implemented.:)

Read that in newspaper.:)

:confused:
I mean only those who know more than what is taught in XII deserve to go in IIT. I am not against aptituse tests but am against 70% weightage to XII boards.

varun_rustagi added 0 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Read that in newspaper.:)
Dude, that is rubbish. How do you expect them to know more than what is taught in XII?

Dude, that is rubbish. How do you expect them to know more than what is taught in XII?

Ummm.... I think you are misunderstanding me.
By saying all this, I mean that IIT students surely compete with other students at international level.
Now, the level of science students of XII class in western countries is much more than XII in our country.
In India, an average XI starter doesn't even know how to calculate pH.:facepalm
So, we cannot determine IITians on the basis of XII marks.
(You yourself have prepared for IIT, you know what is the difference between extra knowledge and XII knowledge.)

varun_rustagi said:
By saying all this, I mean that IIT students surely compete with other students at international level.
They don't until they pass out of IIT. Its IITs' job to hone them, once they know they have the brains.

varun_rustagi said:
Now, the level of science students of XII class in western countries is much more than XII in our country.
In India, an average XI starter doesn't even know how to calculate pH.
Absolute rubbish, infact our syllabus, for example in math, is far advanced than what our counterparts in the west learn at our age. And an XI starter isn't supposed to know how to calculate pH, he's taught in XI. Where else would he learn, other than school?

varun_rustagi said:
So, we cannot determine IITians on the basis of XII marks.
No we can't, no one is debating on that. I'm rather debating your point about needing "extra knowledge" and knowing "more" to be the basis of getting into IIT's or any other reputed college for that matter.

varun_rustagi said:
(You yourself have prepared for IIT, you know what is the difference between extra knowledge and XII knowledge.)
Yes I do, which is exactly why I'm standing against it. Its rubbish. Its not needed. Testing a candidates brain doesn't necessarily mean testing him on stuff far beyond his syllabus, and I'm not talking difficulty here, I'm talking actual concepts and theory.

I am getting your point now.:)
You seem correct in your way.
Do you agree that 70% weightage to XII Boards should be there ?

varun_rustugi said:
Do you agree that 70% weightage to XII Boards should be there ?

Maybe not 70% which I agree is going too far, but there should be some weightage to board exams at least. I personally would vouch for an uniform aptitude/evaluation test for each stream where students would be tested in an innovative manner on the basis of what they already know and not 'extra' knowledge far beyond their syllabus. Here's the link:

Panel suggests 70% weight for Class 12 marks in IIT entry - India - The Times of India

In what may mark a major shift away from the current scheme of admission to the country's bluechip engineering institutions, an HRD ministry panel has recommended 70% weightage to class XII marks and 30% for performance in an aptitude test to be conducted more than once a year, for the IIT-Joint Entrance Examination.

A cut-off list on the basis of the class XII result and the aptitude test will be prepared in the month of June every year and the top 40,000 will have to take the additional test for IITs. Right now, more than four lakh students appear for IIT-JEE in a single test.

However, the best score in the aptitude test -- which will have questions on reasoning, numerical ability and communication skills -- should be taken into account. It is only the add-on test for the top students that will have questions on physics, mathematics and chemistry. However, the panel has put a restriction on the number of times the add-on test can be taken.

Also, unlike the present system, right at the beginning, students will have to give their choice of IIT or other institutes -- like Indian Institute of Science Education & Research -- whose admission test is conducted through JEE. Students will also have to spell out their choice of branch of engineering or stream of pure science.

Sure, the proposal has its own limitations and won't exactly change the scenario much as the aspirants would still have to sit for an entrance exam which would test their skills in Physics, Chemistry and Maths but by and large it's an okay plan and is somewhat better than the present method of admission into the IITs we have, especially that bit where those who would appear for the exam will be allowed to choose a stream of their own choice.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the very thing we need. And now kids will grind their noses to death, mug up all the books, and it'll be who mugs up books best. So the next thing we know the requirement for getting into IIT's is your capability to cram books.

Kapil Sibal is saying that he's trying to release the pressure on students. Believe me, I'm in 9th and I have to submit a bloody project every week along with a bloody weekly test. But the thing which infuriates me the most is that if you win a prize in some competition your grades will be increased. Thats really sad since the guys who study work hard to get A1 grade and the other guys play all day, study before the exams and get A1. That process allows even DUFFERS to pass.

Who according to you is a duffer? The one who cannot be a bookworm? If yes, then you're wrong. This is where we lack. We fail to recognize what talent one has. What we consider is only that the student scores above 90 or not.

Who according to you is a duffer? The one who cannot be a bookworm? If yes, then you're wrong. This is where we lack. We fail to recognize what talent one has. What we consider is only that the student scores above 90 or not.

By duffers I do not mean one who is a bookworm, I mean one who doesn't have the simple ability to understand whats happening around him, God help those kind of people in college. There are also some type of people who cat-whistle in classes, make fun of teachers etc. Tell me, do these people deserve to pass?

Users who are viewing this thread