Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
College, Full-time. At the moment I go in on a Monday morning as the rest have key skills (not for me as I'm 18+) it gives me a chance to do work. So Monday is normally 10-6, Tuesday 9-4, Wednesday 9-4:30 and Thursday is 10-3.

It's based on 18 units, 10 in 1st year, 8 in 2nd year. All based on assignments and some assessments, like in Food Services, a unit I am about to finish, I was head waiter and the tutor gave an observation record to go in my assignment, which I finished today. We then get 6 weeks of work experience in April/May.

I presume you know about UCAS points. You can get 18pts for a Distinction, 12 for a merit and 6 for a pass. This years units are:

Food Services Operation (we work in the college restaurant a day a week, next week is final session)
Marketing
Hospitality Industry
Contemporary Cuisine
Team Leadership & Supervison
Customer Care
Hospitality Business Operations (Costing unit, like Accounting side of Hospitality industry.
Health & Safety (Though we've had about 3 lessons as the Head of Department is tutor and is busy, we start it properly post-Christmas.

Highly rated course, because of a lack of qualifications with the industry, when I pass the course - possibly going on to Uni - I will be in the top 15-20% of the industry workforce based on qualifications.

Good effort Nigel. I did a random BTEC in something weird like leadership, strength and fitness (something like that), with the army forcing me to do it :p I got a pass but I wasn't really focusing on that, wanted to get my A Levels ;)

What you wanna do at uni?

Something like Hospitality Management, not really looked at all my options tbh. Depends on me and how work goes this summer, I'll be 22 at the end of the course, not sure if I want to go out and work in the industry first. Uni isn't deadset, it's an option.

Last edited:
So your are still young (despite what I say :p) Uni is really a cracking experience, I would really recommend it to anyone. You have a great time plus you set your life up, perfectly, with a degree.

Had a maths test the other week. On the Non-Calculator paper I got 54/70 which is 77%. On the Calculator paper I got 48/62 which is also 77%. Don't know what the grades are yet. Pretty solid scores :D.

Had the test for our first ISA in Physics today. It was pretty easy. Having said that, I probably won't do as well I think I have.

Had a fight, battered Year 8, girl attempted suicide in toliets.

Kinda eventful day.

Should I do my coursework for tomorrow or not. Why is it I am always knackered hwne I have work to do. Still have another 100 words to write up. and a maths assignment. Then 2 mocks next week and a media coursework deadline. omg my school is not in the xmas spirit at all.

Whats it like going to college but being over 18 nigel?

Has its advantages and disadvantages. Advantages being, that now I know what I want to do, some people see college as a place to have a laugh, having experienced the real world and having to pay for the course, it means I put in a lot more effort than I may have done had I done college post-school. Generally, I'm expected to be more responsible, which is easy, a lot of people in my group (who were schoolers last year) really do see tutors as teachers, still have the mentality of school kids. Really get fed up of their lack of respect for some tutors though. I suppose it helps that I have mates who have tutored, be it lectures or school teaching. A lot of my evening classes last year had teachers or people gaining qualifications to become teachers.

Disadvantages. At times it really is noticeable how young 16/17 year olds can be, I'll be 22 when I finish the course, if I do Uni, I'll be 25, now, that isn't old. But it's a big factor.

Definitely more pros than cons though, and it's so easy in the country to do adult education.

Had a maths test the other week. On the Non-Calculator paper I got 54/70 which is 77%. On the Calculator paper I got 48/62 which is also 77%. Don't know what the grades are yet. Pretty solid scores :D.

Had the test for our first ISA in Physics today. It was pretty easy. Having said that, I probably won't do as well I think I have.

Got a 7b in my most recent Science test where we got the results yesterday and in my most recent maths test I got a 7b, a few marks off a 7a. Also got an overall C grade for my R.E assessment. Got 45/50 in my drama assessment today and got the second best for performance. :)

I got a 4c in Art :boxing.

Meh, mostly 5/6s. I don't really care about KS3 levels anyway.

I'll be 22 when I finish the course, if I do Uni, I'll be 25, now, that isn't old. But it's a big factor.

Got a mate who I reguarly go drinking with who is 29 and I even have a friend from my history tutorial who is 68 and I have lunch with on Friday's. He is an ex-Sergeant from the Marines, got some good banter and cracking war stories ;)

Loads of mature students at uni, even in Halls of Res

Users who are viewing this thread