Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
For the info of the Aussies who were asking, year 6 in England is the 7th year of school as the first year is called reception (then year 1 etc).
Scotland is the same as Australia; we start at Primary 1 and go up to Primary 7 (P7), then into Secondary 1 (S1) at 12ish.

For the info of the Aussies who were asking, year 6 in England is the 7th year of school as the first year is called reception (then year 1 etc).
Scotland is the same as Australia; we start at Primary 1 and go up to Primary 7 (P7), then into Secondary 1 (S1) at 12ish.

We go;

Primary School

Prep - Age 6
Grade 1 - Age 7
Grade 2 - Age 8
Grade 3 - Age 9
Grade 4 - Age 10
Grade 5 - Age 11
Grade 6 - Age 12

High School

Year 7 - Age 13
Year 8 - Age 14
Year 9 - Age 15
Year 10 - Age 16
Year 11 - Age 17
Year 12 - Age 18

I think reception is the same as prep.

Last edited:
Possibly you start later then.
In England they do GSCE's in year 11 and A levels in year 13. Anyhow we should really discuss this in the education thread.

Possibly you start later then.
In England they do GSCE's in year 11 and A levels in year 13. Anyhow we should really discuss this in the education thread.

I added the ages to help you figure it out. That's the age most students turn in that year.

I think Queensland dont have prep, but they go to Year 13.

Meh, im in Uni now..:happy

Yeah, just a different name. Then grade 1 would be prep.

But wouldn't uni be heaps harder and more demanding?

I did it like this:

First School

Reception
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3

Middle School

Year 4
Year 5
Year 6
Year 7

High School

Year 8
Year 9
Year 10
Year 11

Sixth Form

Year 12
Year 13

You have middle school? Do you have to go to a different school for that?

I did. It's changed now though.

Primary School

Reception
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6

High School

Year 7
Year 8
Year 9
Year 10
Year 11

Sixth Form

Year 12
Year 13

That's how it is now.

We have
Primary:
reception, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, although reception,1 and 2 are called infants here and just in seperate part ofthe school and never mix with the other years
then we have 7,8,9 at high school
then 10,11 and sixth form at my current school.

reception was quality, biscuits and orange juice

But wouldn't uni be heaps harder and more demanding?
It is, but its something i really enjoy (for others that don't know im doing a degree in Business Management in the music industry, and another degree in Commerce)

I figure you'll put so much effort into something you enjoy, I made the mistake in my final year of High School picking hard subjects instead of picking ones I'd enjoy! And of course the consequences were I had a really tough year!

What do you want to do after getting the degree ?

Sorry, managed to miss that :p I'd love to go into physics research (I'm going to CERN the week before half term as the prize for a competition that a group I was in won) but there's a lot of competition for that. That's the advantage of physics though, I can go into anything with a physics degree. I'm likely to get headhunted towards the end of my degree (apparently) so I'll have a look what's on offer.

We have
Primary:
reception, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, although reception,1 and 2 are called infants here and just in seperate part ofthe school and never mix with the other years
then we have 7,8,9 at high school
then 10,11 and sixth form at my current school.

reception was quality, biscuits and orange juice

Cookies and milk.

Users who are viewing this thread