Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Well I am in kinda college right now, 2 years i'm in Uni.. I'm doing IB programme.

basically I have to make a choice for the last 2 years of "real IB", as the first year I did was introductory.

IB programme?

You said about choosing one of those Science subjects, is this for a uni course?

right, it's or the start of International Baccalaureate (not Uni)..

I am having dificulties choosing from one of the science section (from Physics Bio and chem).. because non are off my interest, but one might help me later, so..

Group 1: Language A - English
Group 2: Language B - Swedish/French
Group 3: History/Geo
Group 4: Physics/Bio/Chem
Group 5: Maths high/ Maths Methods/ Maths standard
Group 6: Social studies (wtf is this) /G2/G2/G3 (Geo) extras

you see, pick one from each group, so i am still to decide group 4.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Ibhex.JPG

Last edited:
Group 4 is the toughest one to pick. Most students in my IB school took Biology because it is supposed to be the easiest and essentially features memorization. Seeing that you don't like math I would go with Bio or Chem, although as far as I remember IB Physics did not have calculus--that may have changed. No clue about chemistry--I've taken 2 semesters of Chemistry in my life and both were in High School.

What is this IB? Can anyone tell me what its Australian equivalent is? Is it like VCE (Year 11 and 12)? Or is it just your final year (Year 12).

Higer?
I think you mean higher. :p

Nah, mate Higer. It's a cross between a Tiger and a Hyena. Means they are very agressive examination's. Got to eat a plate of haggis in under 1 minute and then wrestle a drunk Scot straight afterwards. Pretty damn tricky and very hard to revise for :mad:

First time in a while that I haven't had homework. I'm so happy.

I don't wanna do a language in year 11-12, but my French teacher says you have to do one to get an enter score of 90 or above (something like that).

What is this IB? Can anyone tell me what its Australian equivalent is? Is it like VCE (Year 11 and 12)? Or is it just your final year (Year 12).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Baccalaureate

It would take a while to explain because there are a variety of factors you have to consider.

This is what I'm going to be doing next year.

Group 1: English A1 HL
Group 2: Spanish AB Initio
Group 3: Economics HL
Group 4: Biology SL
Group 5: Mathematics SL
Group 6: Visual Arts HL

Basically, you have to choose 3 higher level courses and 3 standard level courses. One of your languages must be A1 but you do not have to take it in Higher Level.

Your IB grades are out of 45. Since there are 6 subjects you can get a maximum of 42 from your 6 subjects. However, the 3 extra points come from the Extended Essay, CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) and TOK (Theory of Knowledge). However, you must receive a minimum score of 24 to pass.

Just as a sidenote: I went to the school where the IB was first started (way back in 1924). I was not alive at the time, of course :p.

Last edited:
You can do the IB in Australia instead of the VCE.

First time in a while that I haven't had homework. I'm so happy.

I don't wanna do a language in year 11-12, but my French teacher says you have to do one to get an enter score of 90 or above (something like that).

No thats false. I have a few friends who scored in the 90's that didnt do a language. Its just when you do a language it gets marked up quite alot!

But i stress you guys pick subjects you'll enjoy. I made the mistake of picking ones which were hard and were going to get marked up. It turned out i really didnt enjoy some and was stuggling to keep motivated.

No thats false. I have a few friends who scored in the 90's that didnt do a language. Its just when you do a language it gets marked up quite alot!

But i stress you guys pick subjects you'll enjoy. I made the mistake of picking ones which were hard and were going to get marked up. It turned out i really didnt enjoy some and was stuggling to keep motivated.

Yeah, totally agree. Obviously the systems are different, but I did Chemistry and Biology last year because they are some of the hardest exams you can sit.I spent a year of absolute hell, not understanding any of it and finding it so boring I actually managed to complete every single game on my phone. Do what you enjoy, is my only advice for those who are deciding what to choose.

Had my French oral today. Went ok I think, the presentation went well and the role-play cards weren't too bad. The conversation turned to football and I must have spent about 2 minutes talking about United last Saturday in French, after the teacher asked me what the score was and who we were against.

Had my French oral today. Went ok I think, the presentation went well and the role-play cards weren't too bad. The conversation turned to football and I must have spent about 2 minutes talking about United last Saturday in French, after the teacher asked me what the score was and who we were against.

2 mins?!

How much is there to say?

Users who are viewing this thread