Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
It totally helps. Mostly because you can't help but throw yourself into the election, which then leads on your interest to the rest of American politics. Also helps that the current political and economic climate means that whilst Obama may well be unproven the world cannot risk having another fiscal conservative in charge of the States.

Just to make me feel even more old I had a 15-year-old shadowing me last week for work experience!

Phew, just did my IOP today. For those of you who don't know, it's an Internal Oral Presentation in the IB. I did mine on a 'Blindness' by Jose Saramango. It's a really good book and I recommend the rest of you to read it as well. It won the Nobel Prize for Literature if that means anything to you.

Schools been terrible so far. I've got three B's! Argh. I have until January to get the 84's into 90's...

And the workload is immense. Too much, I have a life you stupid teachers.

Here are my grades so far

English A1 (HL): A
French B (SL): A
Economics (HL): A-
Visual Arts (HL): B+
Biology (SL): B+
Mathematics (SL): B-

I would say I'm doing fairly well so far seeing as that A- in Economics and B+ in Visual Arts will almost definitely become A's next term.

Last edited:
Just to make me feel even more old I had a 15-year-old shadowing me last week for work experience!

Nah, he was stalking you mate. I told you Slateford is rough :p

Schools been terrible so far. I've got three B's! Argh. I have until January to get the 84's into 90's...

And the workload is immense. Too much, I have a life you stupid teachers.

Here are my grades so far

English- A
French- A
Economics- A-
Visual Arts- B+
Biology- B+
Mathematics- B-

I would say I'm doing fairly well so far seeing as that A- in Economics and B+ in Visual Arts will almost definitely become A's next term.

Swats :p

What's a swat? I'm presuming a nerd, geek etc. I'm not. English comes easily to me. French, last year I had a C+, so this is a massive improvement. Mathematics gives me the shivers. I'm lucky to have a B-. I expect it to go down to a C+ soon enough. Math is just too hard. Art, I started off with a C+ this year and had a C+ last year. After my last piece, it went all the way down to a B because I got an A on the project. So I guess if I can do that again, I'm all set. Biology is all memorization. If you can do that, you're good. Economics can be a little hard at first but once you drill in those basic theories before you go into more depth, it becomes a lot easier.

Last edited:
Spanish 2 - 111 - A+
AP Statistics - 96 - A+
AP Chemistry - 84 - B+ (Accelerated scale) :(
AP Biology - 89 - B+ :( :(
AP US History - 79 - C+ :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I swear to god my US history teacher is terrible. All we do is go through two slides in an entire class period basically. She'll start talking on how there was a Vice President or something and then talk about Sarah Palin for a good hour and a half. I mean for crying out loud just teach me the god damn material lady. Then she assigns like a hundred pages of reading where the font is literally Times New Roman 8 in a text book that's about 1,500 pages long. And the tests are absolute mother-dogs as well.

I hate life.

If these guys are 'Swats', I wonder what you would make of the Grades Manee, Rhys, Adarsh and myself got :p

School's tough, but I'm surviving so far. Doing Calculus in Maths, and tons of work for Psychology, but I've handled it so far. Dissapointed I'm not getting to do the self-study I want to, but we are learning tons anyways, so it's okay so far. Can do the work over the hols.

Doing A2 American Politics in the same year/timescale of an American Election is absolutely fantastic. Really shows up the fickle nature of American politics and how undemocratic but practical our political system is here in the UK. Helps that the elections on my birthday as well.

Edexcel? Im currently doing an AS in politics studying the UK democratic system. Its pretty damn tasty.

In our Costings unit (actually called Hospitality Business Operations iirc) I've actually remembered some of the stuff I did in work experience, all of 6/7 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread