Marsh 59
Anderson 3/53 (24.3)

England XI 5/356 (88.0)
Cook 106 ret. out
Strauss 88
Joyce 73
Read 59 n.o.
Heal 2/61 (20.0)

It would seem like a victory for Anderson, Read and to a lesser extent Panesar or Mahmood, though in fairness, if Harmison's place in the side is assured, then this is pretty much a non sequitur.

Last edited:
Read shows he can handle the bat, Jones golden duck will put even more pressure on him although him being in the senior group should secure his position still :)
Good to see Heal continue his good start to this season.

Read was rather circumspect so he can show to the selectors that he can be more than capable to build an innings and rescue the team if they were in trouble.

Giles stats:
Giles, AF 8.0 0 33 0
1 dropped catch (simple catch at slip)
Giles, AF c:Rogers b:Edmondson 4 22 15

Monty stats:
Panesar, MS 25.0 6 69 1
(Had numerous LBW's turned down and a missed stumping)
1 runout, direct him from mid wicket :D

Will that be enough to convince Fletcher and the skipper to select Monty ahead of Giles??

kodos said:
Read was rather circumspect so he can show to the selectors that he can be more than capable to build an innings and rescue the team if they were in trouble.

Giles stats:
Giles, AF 8.0 0 33 0
1 dropped catch (simple catch at slip)
Giles, AF c:Rogers b:Edmondson 4 22 15

Monty stats:
Panesar, MS 25.0 6 69 1
(Had numerous LBW's turned down and a missed stumping)
1 runout, direct him from mid wicket :D

Will that be enough to convince Fletcher and the skipper to select Monty ahead of Giles??

Should have been convinced after their loss in Adelaide that Giles isn't going to win you matches that a Monty could. Surely they will pick him this time round.

You have to give Monty a chance soon. Like one of the commentators said (Bill Lawry), he noted that his confidence isn't being helped at all by not being selected and he does have a point :p.

He got to spend a day in the field didn't he Stevie? Fairly important, and the players in squad needed the batting more than him in fairness.

Gotta laugh really, or is it cry, I'm just not sure really. Giles and Jones both useless yet again, Read, Mahood, Panesar all out performing players they should probably be starting ahead of.

Annoyingly Anderson has yet another good tour game, but has so far been unable to translate that to the test matches. Harmison on the other hand has been possibly the least effective bowler throughout this tour, yet still I feel he has to play, as we really can't beat Australia without him, and he needs to step his game up massively.

puddleduck said:
He got to spend a day in the field didn't he Stevie? Fairly important, and the players in squad needed the batting more than him in fairness.

It's a fair point. But it makes me laugh because Fletcher says there isn't enough cricket between now and the 3rd, 4th and 5th tests for him to get fit. But there we go! I don't think he should play until he has some real cricket under his belt, just seemed abit odd!

Great to see Strauss and Cook get big scores, and Joyce and Read will be pushing for test places now.

IloveGilly said:
You have to give Monty a chance soon. Like one of the commentators said (Bill Lawry), he noted that his confidence isn't being helped at all by not being selected and he does have a point :p.

I don't think confidence will affect Monty, as soon as he gets that ball in his hand he's a bit like KP with the bat.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Geraint Jones made a golden a duck and Chris Read made a slowish 59 not out.

Rather a slowish half century (although 60 per 100 isn't bad) than a golden duck.

Still Sureshot, if you're being kept out by Giles, your confidence is bound to take a pasting! Knowing that he get's in the England team ahead of me, has destroyed me as a bowler :p

Is it me or is Monty's batting not that bad? His scores have been:

9, 0, 0*, 3*, 0*, 0*, 0*, 26(!), 0*, 3*, 5*, 5*, 0.
Not too bad for someone dubbed a walking wicket.

Users who are viewing this thread