England in Australia

It's funny because I actually think that his new action has improved him as a bowler. Hopefully he'll come good in the VB series or maybe he can even repeat his World Cup heroics of last time around.

yep i would agree with that, if he can bowl like he did in the world cup we could actually win a few OD matches

gambino said:
this match just proved that england should go in with a bowling line up of

mahmood
hoggard
anderson
panesar

but we all know thick dunc wont drop giles

Not a bad lineup, I would still go with Harmison over Anderson just cause of what Harmison can do if he gets his stuff together.
Mahmood looked quite good in the Champions trophy against us so worth a shot there.

aussie1st said:
Mahmood looked quite good in the Champions trophy against us so worth a shot there.
Yea but would he be as effective at test level? ODI's are a different bowling game. Bracken plays ODI's but not tests and stuff like that

Well you're never know until you try him. Bracken should have been given more of a go in the Test arena for mind. Symonds of the other hand is what you call a ODI player.

Feelin Blue? said:
Yea but would he be as effective at test level? ODI's are a different bowling game. Bracken plays ODI's but not tests and stuff like that

Mahmood has been far more successful in the Test Arena than the Odi arena in his short career so far. Not saying that means he will be successful, but he is far suited to the longer format of the game.

aussie1st said:
Well you're never know until you try him. Bracken should have been given more of a go in the Test arena for mind. Symonds of the other hand is what you call a ODI player.

Every test match ive seen Bracken take part he looks out of place. I dont think he'll play many more tests for the rest of his career given the emergence of Johnson and now Hilfenhaus.

Yea probably not, hes a good asset on those flat pitches like in Adelaide as his cutters would have added another bow to his string. Johnson still yet to prove himself in Pura, I'd have Hilfenhaus before him.

puddleduck said:
Mahmood has been far more successful in the Test Arena than the Odi arena in his short career so far. Not saying that means he will be successful, but he is far suited to the longer format of the game.
Really?, i didn't think he played much test cricket though. Well you juust proved me wrong.. LOL

aussie1st said:
Yea probably not, hes a good asset on those flat pitches like in Adelaide as his cutters would have added another bow to his string. Johnson still yet to prove himself in Pura, I'd have Hilfenhaus before him.

Yeh got to agree there, Bracken's variations make him more than capable i guess. I'd have Hilfy before Johnson too ;)...my early tip for Bradman Young Cricketer 2006/07: Ben Hilfenhaus :D

Mahmood is just inexperienced. I think potentially he's the best young pace bowler England has had since Anderson first hit the scene about five years ago. He can be a bit wayward, but that's because of his pace and the fact that he's not used to bowling lots of overs. I think he's the type of player who would benefit from playing more County games and getting in 30-40 overs in a match.

genghis_khan said:
Every test match ive seen Bracken take part he looks out of place. I dont think he'll play many more tests for the rest of his career given the emergence of Johnson and now Hilfenhaus.

Hard to look in place when half the chances you created get dropped. Bracken is the least appreciated bowler in Australia.

On Mahmood I don't get why when Fletcher is preaching the need for a long tail, he never picked Mahmood before Anderson. Mahmood is no bunny and lets face it sometimes I wonder if Anderson knows how to hold a cricket bat.

MUFC1987 said:
Mahmood is just inexperienced. I think potentially he's the best young pace bowler England has had since Anderson first hit the scene about five years ago. He can be a bit wayward, but that's because of his pace and the fact that he's not used to bowling lots of overs. I think he's the type of player who would benefit from playing more County games and getting in 30-40 overs in a match.

He shows good variation even if it doesn't show off in the ODIs, although saying that comparing after the SL series his eco rate would've been about 9 and now it's about 6.3 he's improving in that aspect. He's got a 94 in FC cricket too. He can be a very good player for England in the future, because he's a strongish fielder (no Jonty but no Monty), got a rifle of an arm and can get good runs (63 in 5 inns in Tests so far).

You also feel he can take a wicket at any time, something we've lacked this series.

mahmood won the match for england against pakistan this year

when england collapsed chasing 150 something

the 5th match

he was the man of the match

he also won them a test match where he took 4 quick wickets 3rd test i think

he deserves at least 1 test match this ashes series

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread