England in Australia

I don't see KP as having form though, he's just one of those rare players who hits a big score then goes quiet for a while, then it goes again.

Sureshot said:
I don't see KP as having form though, he's just one of those rare players who hits a big score then goes quiet for a while, then it goes again.
Yea, me too. It's like form has no effect on him...
And how could Monty have Asian traditions of spin and stuff? He was raised as a child in Englan, unless he got to see footage of Bishan Singh Bedi and wanted to be and Indian spinner, then he is a pure English Spinner.

Thats what I'm saying Monty could be thought of as England's Bishan Bedi.

Looks like he did see videos of Bedi he taking 5 wickets a piece and nothing less. Nothing like Giles, if he truly English he would be getting tossed around for 2-3 a over and gettign 30s in batting and people talking of how accurate he is. Lolocaust.

While India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka spinners have evolved since the days of Bedi into players like Murali, Kaneria and Harbhajan.

Last edited:
Turbanation said:
Give Old Man Giles a few months and you'll hear

Giles Announces Shock Retirement
The problem is he's still a shoe-in for the World Cup, even though Blackwell showed he was a better One Day bowler.

Turbanation said:
Thats what I'm saying Monty could be thought of as England's Bishan Bedi.
Or, we could just look at him as England's Monty Panesar. Yeah, I like that better. :rolleyes:

Turbanation said:
Darlyample
+
Monty
=
Lethal Combination
Why Dalrymple? That quality of Finger spinner are 10 a penny, or is it just because he can bat? I'd rather see Loudon play for England over Dalrymple and especially Yardy.

Turbanation said:
I mean Panesar as England's Monty Panesar by the way. Why does he have to be compared to somebody else?

MUFC1987 said:
I mean Panesar as England's Monty Panesar by the way. Why does he have to be compared to somebody else?

I agree. He's a pretty indivdual type of a bowler, as he bowls it very quickly for a spinner and doesn't really try to do anything different. He'll float the odd one up there, but most of the time he bowls his stock ball.

i just get this feeling that monty can be easily countered if anyone attacks him

like symonds today

it was like monty is just another normal county bowler

its only when the batsmen get defensive against him that he gets them out on the crease

pakistan used this tactic very succesfully against harhajan and kumble in 2006 tes series

well, least afridi did

Yeh Pakistan played Monty so well this summer, they clearly showed you just have to attack him...

As for being another normal county bowler, pfft.

Monty doesn't have a great degree of variation but not many spinners do at such a young age (he hasn't been playing Cricket alot as his Uni studies stopped him playing a lot of Cricket at a young age.

Symonds had one very good over then got out to a long hop does that mean Symonds can easily be countered by bowling bad balls?

Monty creates good pressure despite not having loads of variation and from the tests he's played so far I'd hardly say he can easily be countered by attacking him.

monty is great new find for england i think he showed today why so many people want him playing. He showed great character when symonds was smashing him about to carry on bowling and persist and get the wicket.

I thought harmison has bowled well and hopefully he can start firing again and be back to the best,like when we played the windies.

Strauss also showed signs of intent today.
Tomorrow will be the deciding day

It's certainly a big day, shame I'll miss most of the final session. I'd be happy if we could bat the whole day one of Strauss, colly or Kp need a big one though.

Ah Gambino I think you should try watching some of Monty's bowling for his last 12 test matches.

Symonds tried to attack him, and you see this wasn't a ODI, this was a test match, and 19 runs later he was out. That may be all well and dandy in a ODI where some quick runs are needed, but in a test match you want to bat all day so all that showed was if you try to attack him, you can get out. Monty showed it all today. He didn't by any standards bowl brilliantly, but he bowled well. He got left handers out, right handers out, he got settled batsman and he got new batsman to the crease out. Can't really ask for more.

To say if you attack him is just plainly misinformed. Batsman keep trying to attack him, especially Aussies, it's how they play, he just has incredible control and dip for a young spinner which makes him very difficult to get away. Considering this was a first day pitch it was a quite remarkable effort. On a 4th or 5th dayer he showed us what he can do against Pakistan, afterall not many people have bowled Yousef and Younis beaten in the flight and turn.

Also Sureshot, the long hop seems almost a variation from Monty. He's picked up a few wickets with balls there, I think his extra bounce makes it that bit harder to get away, coupled with just a little turn it's a useful ball. The difference between someone like Gilo and Monty sticking one there is that Montys comes rarely and normally after he's created some pressure, whilst Giles is just more easy pickings.

Users who are viewing this thread