England in Australia

thats probably likely to happen .. i dont mean England winning... i mean Monty having a blinder and getting dropped..

i'll try not to ruffle too many feathers since this is only my third post..but I'm sure the following comments will
1.The aussie press saying that steve harmison is back...do they mean his confidence is back?.. because that i would agree with...surely they don't mean he is back in form because that pitch reminded me of some of the uneven mats i used to play on in junior cricket( some of those laid out mats were probably better even the ones witch had big holes in them)

2.still on about harmo...the stat sheet shows 4/48 bwl figures...but even my mum(whos english btw!) said they cant say harmisons back in form considering the state of the pitch...2 maybe 3 of his 4 wickets you could attribute to his form..i said maybe 3 cos everyone knows clark is very hit or miss in regards to batting

3.Please don't get me wrong and start thinking I'm just being another biased aussie...cos thats not the case... i thinks harmo is a legend.....i just hate all the hype in the press(cos you know they'll build him up just to crap all over him when he gets no wickets or 1 wicket on a flat pitch)

plympilgrim said:
yeah he has batted well and kept well. I think we are actually seeing what he can do at his best with the bat and behind the stumps. His batting could be better but he has to start somewhere

^^About Jones:

Yeah leave the poor guy alone!!! Everyones being calling for him to be dropped but why? hes kept well and hasnt had any dropped catches! He kept good enough to Panesar taking 2 catches...So why is there need for a change? :rolleyes:

Agreed. He took two good catches behind the stumps - particuarly the one he got with Symonds on the second grab.

Hes done well so far and hasn't offered any reason to drop him yet. Still yet to show his worth with the bat though so if he continues to fail he may get dropped for lack of form with the bat.

I think that is a bad idea. Do you think Shane Warne would get dropped if didn't score many runs? Obviously not. Even though it is a bonus to have a wicketkeeper that can bat I think that is poor from England if they are going to drop a keeper who is inform but isn't scoring runs.

sifter132 said:
I disagree strongly. Do you know what overrated means? Being called overrated doesn't mean you aren't a good player. It just means you're not as good as people say you are. From the way England fans and media go on about Panesar I was expecting a Murali like bowler, but really I saw a guy who at present is only a little bit better than Giles. Yes he has a lot of potential as he is only starting out, but lets not crown him until he turns into a real class bowler. At present, as an Aussie fan I would much rather see our batters face Monty than Daniel Vettori for example.

To prove I'm not just an English hater, Australia's overrated players would be Symonds and Lee. Just cause you can hit big and bowl fast doesn't make you great. Yet talk to some of our fans and these 2 are "our best players". That's what too much ODI cricket does. Symonds in particular, people make excuses for him all the time. I mean he had 5 years (!) to cement his spot in the ODI team and this is like is 4th call up into the Test team.

Yesterday's effort brought up some great examples. 1) He was unlucky with his dismissal - rubbish, it was all ego. It was a poor ball and he just tried to smash the crap out of it cause he got carried away with his 2 sixers and trying to dominate Monty. 2) Making quick 20s was all he was picked for, he can make up for it with the ball and in the field - rubbish again, you might as well bat at 8 if quick 20s is all you can do. And if I were the England batters, I'd be hoping to see the ball is Symonds hands a lot today - that's just taking overs from Clark and Warne.

Oh c'mon how can you say that he is only "slightly" better than Giles when you have only seen him bowl one innings?? I don't think you've seen how well Monty bowled against Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home and against India in his debut test who are all very good at playing against spin. Your statement that you'd expect him to be like a Murali is your own opinion but I don't recall the press or any one else label him in the same class of a Murali or Warne. Monty is undoubtedly England's best spinner and there has been high regards for Monty in the press because England have not had a decent spinner that troubles oppositions for at least a decade.

The ball to Symonds can be considered rubbish but to me was good variation. The previous balls were pitched up balls and didn't concede any runs. Monty then bowled one that was slightly shorter, wider and more flghted knowing that Symonds would attack since it is in his nature to and full credits to Flintoff for keeping Monty on. MacGill often does the same, he tosses one wide outside off to make the batsman play a cut shot which eventually results in an edge, I've seen plenty of times where this has happened.

Also did anyone catch a glimpse of Giles reactions after Monty took the first wicket, it was a classic! :D

Left_Hander said:
I think that is a bad idea. Do you think Shane Warne would get dropped if didn't score many runs? Obviously not. Even though it is a bonus to have a wicketkeeper that can bat I think that is poor from England if they are going to drop a keeper who is inform but isn't scoring runs.

Shane Warne is in the side for his bowling not his batting. Jones on the other hand is in the side for his batting, that is fact! Adam Gilchrist has revolutionized the way we pick keepers, do you honestly believe we will pick a keeper that can't bat?
Also they have dropped a keeper that didn't perform with the bat, his name is Chris Read.

Typical English :) Blame the umpire not us, they thought they heard something so they have every right to appeal, if the umpires then gives it out well, well done Aussies.

Symonds just got Flintoff, don't know how he keeps getting wickets with his bowling but he got one.

surely thats it for Jones Read should be in the next test he had his chance to do something that was needed and failed again

as I predected poms would be out under 200

adthomp said:
surely thats it for Jones Read should be in the next test he had his chance to do something that was needed and failed again

as I predected poms would be out under 200

Not out yet ;)
Poor shot by Jones as that ball by Symonds didn't do anything amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread