England in Australia

Just been looking at the averages of the Aussies, Clarke below 10 bowling average has ballooned to 16, he should have told Ponting he didn't want to bowl anymore!
Clark's is floating about the 18 mark.

Flintoff Rocks said:
Wow, Panesar and Harmison made the game respectable with their partnership. Aussies only lead by 29, it all comes down to England's bowling now. COME ON MONTY! Have a 10 wicket mach!

Nah Monty's done enough ;) Doesn't need a 10 wicket haul, 5 will do for him :D

Got to admire Monty, he's done everything right since his selection. Bowled well and now batted well. I can't see how Monty can bat an no.11 with a solid technique he has, perhaps he should be elevated above Jones. Like the commentators said earlier, Monty is a likable character whether you support England or not.

aussie1st said:
Just been looking at the averages of the Aussies, Clarke below 10 bowling average has ballooned to 16, he should have told Ponting he didn't want to bowl anymore!
Clark's is floating about the 18 mark.
Spot on, he was probably faking that back injury to stop ricky from bowling him for as long as he could :p ;)

could you check up Montys batting average now? like i said earlier probably gone up to the 12-14 mark

Feelin Blue? said:
didn't we have them 7-120 and like 8-140, from 8-140 should have got the last 2 wickets for 15 runs

Well KP was still in so he could have done a lot more damage, he left at 175 so 40 odd runs from this pair which is very valuable. Our lead is nothing now when it could have been 50+.

Flintoff Rocks said:
Come on, be fair with Jones, he took 2 great catches in the first innings.
Were only bagging his money not his keeping, i dont think you should drop him for read he did excellent with those gloves that look exactly like the bails :p But 2 ducks, maybe they should go Mahmood, Panasear, Jones, Hoggard then Harmison, cuz Jones then could also be Mr Fix it and hang around with Hoggard

Warne also dropped one in the slips, it's starting to become a trend for him, hopefully he doesn't drop KP again!
McGrath's catch well it was a tough one as he had to dive a bit but you would expect him to take it.

Flintoff Rocks said:
Yes, but Australia prefer him as a batsman and he needs to do more with the bat if he wants to play in Melbourne.
No way, we have him as a bowler too, and be fair blasted a good 30 odd, got 2 wickets and save bout 30 runs in the Field and took the catch of Pieterson in the outfield

kodos said:
Oh c'mon how can you say that he is only "slightly" better than Giles when you have only seen him bowl one innings?? I don't think you've seen how well Monty bowled against Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home and against India in his debut test who are all very good at playing against spin. Your statement that you'd expect him to be like a Murali is your own opinion but I don't recall the press or any one else label him in the same class of a Murali or Warne. Monty is undoubtedly England's best spinner and there has been high regards for Monty in the press because England have not had a decent spinner that troubles oppositions for at least a decade.

The ball to Symonds can be considered rubbish but to me was good variation. The previous balls were pitched up balls and didn't concede any runs. Monty then bowled one that was slightly shorter, wider and more flghted knowing that Symonds would attack since it is in his nature to and full credits to Flintoff for keeping Monty on. MacGill often does the same, he tosses one wide outside off to make the batsman play a cut shot which eventually results in an edge, I've seen plenty of times where this has happened.

Also did anyone catch a glimpse of Giles reactions after Monty took the first wicket, it was a classic! :D

Yeah, but he's still overrated :D

You're right I do need to see more of him before I can completely judge his efforts, I'm just going on what I've seen so far. Most of the time I go out of my way to find faults in players the press hypes - see my Symonds and Lee comments. There are always 2 sides to the coin and thats what these forums are for I guess. That's also why some see Monty's ball to Symonds as good bowling, while others (and me) consider it an error by him and a bad ball .

aussie1st said:
Warne also dropped one in the slips, it's starting to become a trend for him, hopefully he doesn't drop KP again!
McGrath's catch well it was a tough one as he had to dive a bit but you would expect him to take it.
McGrath's was a toughy but you got it right he should have taken it
Warnies wasn;t to hard i dont think, pretty regulation, he got 2 hands on it too

Users who are viewing this thread