England in Australia

wfdu_ben91 said:
He only made 30 odd didn't he? Phil Jaques is much better.

He would be a fine choice indeed. He has already stated that he can bat anywhere in the order and he plays in the middle order for his county team. They should give him a go.

he and Daniel Smith put on bout a 60 partenship and lasted bout an hour after a mini collapse, the Poms couldn't even get park cricketers out, i was gonna say Jaques cuz im a fan of him.

IloveGilly said:
He's more of a bowler IMO. :rolleyes:

Bowling all rounder perfect :D
Symonds will continue to be our number 6 for the rest of this series as the selectors won't drop him cause they want to give him time to shine.
If Mark Cosgrove was performing with the bat I wouldn't mind giving him a go, hes been handy with the ball too ;) But first of Voges will be given a go if we do drop Symonds.

Cant believe they still refuse to pick Jaques.
He is at the age where cricketers are at there best 26 - 32 hes been the most dominant player in our domestic series so play the guy.
He also scored a 100 in a 50 over match against the poms then another 100 in a 3 day match against them.
Yet they put Voges in the team a guy whos only played about 20 matches in first class craicket and is 27.

Still think Cosgrove has the talent to be in the team but hes in poor form at the moment and they wont pick him until he loses alot more weight.

Jaques and Cosgrove will probably play in the future. I mean the end is nearing for Hayden and Langer.

Jaques + Cosgrove = :D

Chris Rogers seems to be quite underrated, been consistent for the past few years and is top run scorer this season. Hes the form batsmen this season so the selectors can't use the form issue on him.

Hodge is too old hes only got about 2 years left in him we need to be replacing old guys with guys under 30.
Otherwise when all the old farts retire we are going to have to replace them with inexperienced players at this level.

If they wanted a west aussie i would pick Rogers and North ahead of Voges

I see Watson is making some 2nd innings runs against SA, wonder if he has a runner?

I think long term, Watson will be the perfect replacement for Warne in a way. Say our replacement for Warne is a guy like Dan Cullen. He wouldn't be able to hold up an end like Warne did and wouldn't have the same impact on the opposition. Therefore, we would probably need to play an extra bowler - a bit like England currently does. So having a batting allrounder that can bowl 10 maybe 15 overs a day will be much more important in future than it is at present for Australia. If a batting allrounder who bowls spin is needed Cameron the White could be the guy in future - especially if his batting continues to develop. I haven't been real impressed with his bowling but hopefully that can improve in time as well to a point where he could bowl 10 decent overs a day in a Test.

So currently, it seems pretty pointless picking a guy cause he is an allrounder (Symonds) when he's only going to need to bowl a couple of overs per innings - all he does is make our middle order brittle with his lack of application. Pick a batter, and let Warney play out his career.

Trouble is I'm convinced the selectors are looking for a right handed batter (how else would Voges have risen to the top of the pecking order?) - and all the top prospects are lefties like Jaques, Rogers, North, Cosgrove, Katich. Hodge is the obvious right handed candidate, but no one was impressed with the way he kept getting out caught behind the wicket in his most recent Test innings, reaching for the cover drive. Maybe the selectors are gonna keep looking past him, as the injury that apparently kept him out of the selectors minds this time was not that serious. He could have played this Test.

Yea, if we bring in Hodge, he will retire with the others, and we will have only a couple of younger players.

sifter132 said:
I see Watson is making some 2nd innings runs against SA, wonder if he has a runner?

I think long term, Watson will be the perfect replacement for Warne in a way. Say our replacement for Warne is a guy like Dan Cullen. He wouldn't be able to hold up an end like Warne did and wouldn't have the same impact on the opposition. Therefore, we would probably need to play an extra bowler - a bit like England currently does. So having a batting allrounder that can bowl 10 maybe 15 overs a day will be much more important in future than it is at present for Australia. If a batting allrounder who bowls spin is needed Cameron the White could be the guy in future - especially if his batting continues to develop. I haven't been real impressed with his bowling but hopefully that can improve in time as well to a point where he could bowl 10 decent overs a day in a Test.

So currently, it seems pretty pointless picking a guy cause he is an allrounder (Symonds) when he's only going to need to bowl a couple of overs per innings - all he does is make our middle order brittle with his lack of application. Pick a batter, and let Warney play out his career.

Trouble is I'm convinced the selectors are looking for a right handed batter (how else would Voges have risen to the top of the pecking order?) - and all the top prospects are lefties like Jaques, Rogers, North, Cosgrove, Katich. H.
Dominic Thornely, then after bring in Cameron White, then when there done its Moises Henruquies

Users who are viewing this thread