England in Australia

aussie1st said:
Hehe more umpiring luck for the Aussies in particular Hayden. Obviously if Rudi wasn't giving the first one no way he would have given the 2nd one.

Yeah it looked tough to get an LBW yesterday. I counted 6 that could have been given: only Clark to Bell was given.

Of those other 5, 3 of them were definitely out (going off Hawkeye) - Hoggard to Hayden twice, and Symonds got Collingwood on the back pad - I think they were all Rudi's decisions. Hayden obviously has gotten into Rudi's head that he is batting outside his crease and that seemingly any shout is useless.

The other 2 for those interested: Strauss had one from Lee that Hawkeye thought may have hit the very top of leg, and Collingwood had one from Clark which Hawkeye said would have hit the very top of middle. I didn't mind those being not out, as it's a low scoring game.

Also, the 50 by Strauss was a real battle. It's not often that a guy has to fight all the way to 50, but he never really looked in - despite a couple of nice shots. It was nearly an ugly innings. Not sure if he can blame the pitch for that, he just seems very out of sorts at present.

You can't really give them out even if it's just clipping bail. There might have been a problem with the bounce with Clark but Hayden's LBW was one where you were almost certain it was going to hit the stumps.

It's certainly going to be a battle out there today, and Australia shouldn't start thinking about the big total straight away.

TBH Strauss isn't in all that bad form, a few dodgy calls have stopped him in the 40s but hes been getting to the 40s with ease. The pitch was quite slow and low bounce where not even the Great KP looked settled so Strauss did mighty well.

When the ball was moving like it was it is hard to get yourself in. But Strauss played some wonderful shots yesterday. He has just been extremely unlucky. Collingwood looked completely out of sorts yesterday. I mean really when you're being made to look like a hack by Symonds medium pacers you know it's not your day. Even if the wicket was seaming around a fair bit.

A well deserved wicket for England and it just shows what rewards you can get when bowling well. Build up pressure, bowl more dot balls, join the dots and you get wickets. If we'd have done that yesterday evening we could have had a few more wickets and Australia a few less runs. But I digress, come on England, get Hussey quickly and your right back in the match.

I can see why, can't get an LBW and then he sees the umpire checking the footmarks on the pitch. That would really hack him off.

Ah brilliant from Hoggard; Such a reliable performer and that wicket of Hussey gives us a glimour of hope. I can see Clarke, Symonds, Gilchrist or Hayden getting Australia well out of trouble here though.

Well he had to fail sooner or later, too bad it came with Ponting failing. Another chance for Clarke to show again how much he has improved.

Please Harmison, be your 2004 self and not the one we saw at Brisbane. Don't give the initiative back to Australia.

EDIT: Yay! :)

Hmmmm, Harmy strikes and it's the big wicket of Clarke. I'm not expecting much from Symonds with this much movement.

Users who are viewing this thread