Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Sehwag is a match winner and should be kept in the side. Although I agree that his failures are rather aggravating because if he applied himself a bit early in his innings, he could be so devastating as he's shown in the past.

To drop Sehwag now would be a bad move with Tendulkar out of the team. That would leave a big hole in the batting.

Also I know that I was against picking Harbhajan in the ODI team, but I gracefully accept that maybe I made an error of judgement. His 5-31 is certainly a special effort. But I still state that his Test form is what really counts if he wants a place in the Indian team... In a ODI game, it's the batsmen who sometimes make it easier for bowlers to pick wickets.

I will suspend my judgment on Harbhajan for now, but I will be seeing how well he performs in the next Test series. Test cricket is the ultimate judge of a spinner's talent.

Wow, those statistics show quite a thing! Perhaps it is because so much cricket is being played these days that one confuses test cricket and ODI cricket. Harbhajan has also been an instrumental ODI bowler in India's limited-overs comeback, although the performances don't match up in test matches.

ronny_kingsley said:
India deserves to loose. I would be heartbroken if they win cos it would lead to continuation of this ideotic selection policy.

Dravid expects his batsman to play 2-3 days in Test cricket but needs 5 batsman to play out 50 overs (they couldnnt do it either) in an ODI.

Harbhajan still playing in the XI cant get more irritating than this after Powar's bowling in the practice match.

Many guys here believed Raina was the future of Indian batting , seeeing him bat today was embarrassing to say the least.Get someone like Badani in please.

RP Singh's last bowling performance hinted how ineffective he is but he still is in the team.
Good selection has to be said. Get in Agarkar for God sake.

Finally Sehwag's form or the lack of it . Kick him right now thats what can be said.

I want England to win this match by 10 or 8 wickets with 10 overs to spare.

Even after yesterday's performance I would stand by my words.

It wasnt as if India won the match on thier merit instead England lost it. Even Bangladesh wouldnt have lost it after that partnership between Flintoff and Pieterson.

Of all the wickets that the "great" Harbhajan took none (except for Jones maybe) was deserved.It was just that both India and Harbhajan got lucky.

Now I seem to pity with Ganguly,if he cant play on the basis of performance,fitness and attitude then surely Sehwag cant as well.Even after continous failures he still maintains he is in form and just an innings away from form of late.Unfittest of all in the Indian team now what is he doing in the team even after 34 innings without a century and no worthwile performance in over an year.

Next match India should go in with 5 bowlers maybe even two offspinners.

Hope Dravid learns from the Delhi match .

ronny_kingsley said:
Even Bangladesh wouldnt have lost it after that partnership between Flintoff and Pieterson.

What with their world class spinnners, oh of course.

Are you a pipeline coming out of a cesspit?

I think Sehwag should indeed be given a break.I mean,come on, that guy always gets out inside the first 5 overs and we are always on the backfoot!
If you cant score then you cant be in the team.Sehwag has been given a number of opportunities but he has failed to click.Surely, this cant go on.We need to give a chance to players like robin utthapa,shikhar dhawan,etc.Or bring a certain guy from my home town,Kolkata. ;) :cool:

ronny_kingsley said:
It wasnt as if India won the match on thier merit instead England lost it. Even Bangladesh wouldnt have lost it after that partnership between Flintoff and Pieterson.

Of all the wickets that the "great" Harbhajan took none (except for Jones maybe) was deserved.It was just that both India and Harbhajan got lucky.
Bangladesh wouldnt have made even 164 :p
As for Harbhajan,all his wickets were deserved.He bowled well in Mumbai and has proved again that he is a match-winning bowler.The only lucky break for India was Peiterson's wicket.India thoroughly deserved to win.It isnt their fault if England blew it.

I wish we could see India play against the Australians in the current ODI form. It will be a treat :D

I also feel that Greg Chappel, and the Indian selectors are not at all being proffessional and instead being too personal about selecting players. I still believe Ganguly should have got the chance in the team, as Sachin is out of the squad. India certainly needed some experience without Sachin, I mean they wouldnt have been all out for 203 atleast.

Last edited:
ronny_kingsley said:
Even after yesterday's performance I would stand by my words.

Now I seem to pity with Ganguly,if he cant play on the basis of performance,fitness and attitude then surely Sehwag cant as well.Even after continous failures he still maintains he is in form and just an innings away from form of late.Unfittest of all in the Indian team now what is he doing in the team even after 34 innings without a century and no worthwile performance in over an year.

Next match India should go in with 5 bowlers maybe even two offspinners.

Hope Dravid learns from the Delhi match .

Bangladesh wouldnt have got to 164 in the first place on such a pitch with the Indian bowlers who know how to bowl on such wickets!

If India go in with 5 bowlers, positive move. But it depends on the wicket. If the wicket is flat, we need 5 bowlers. But if we get a wicket similar to the one in Delhi, the same team (except for Munaf coming in for RP Singh) should do the job well enough (even better than how they did in Game I)

saisrini80 said:
Bangladesh wouldnt have got to 164 in the first place on such a pitch with the Indian bowlers who know how to bowl on such wickets!

Start watching matches other than India then if you think Bangladesh wouldnt have made 164.Those guys are doing very well nowadays especially with thier batting.

They have prooven against India,England,Australia,Sri Lanka that they are a good side.

The same Indian bowlers who fared exceddingly well in the similar Mumbai conditions.

How many here believe (and be true to your heart) that Indians deserved last 8 wickets with thier bowling and if yes how many?????????????

For me just Jones that too because of the pressure and his extra agressiveness.

What do other guys think ?????

saisrini80 said:
If India go in with 5 bowlers, positive move. But it depends on the wicket.
A bit too positive.We should always remember that one day cricket is a batsman's game.So, more often than not,its the batsmen who win you games.
Again,considering the next game at faridabad which is a small city, the pitch is expected to be slow and low.So,the present combination would perfectly fit in.

I think super-sub rule was favouring India bcoz they can go with five bowlers.But now when it's over the effect will show on our team lineup seeing the last few months performance.

@ronny
So you are giving no credit to the Indian bowlers for taking English wickets, but are you giving credit to the English bowlers for taking the Indian wickets? If I remember correctly, apart from Dravid, all the Indian wickets were gifted away too. So what makes you say that England deserve to win the match more? India gave up their wickets, England gave up their wickets. But India made more.

Gyaan_Guru said:
A bit too positive.We should always remember that one day cricket is a batsman's game.So, more often than not,its the batsmen who win you games.
Again,considering the next game at faridabad which is a small city, the pitch is expected to be slow and low.So,the present combination would perfectly fit in.

In the ODI's which is a batsman's game, the pitch, conditions, short boundary ropes all favor the batsman to score big. In such a scenario, what difference is a 6th batsman gonna make? If 5 guys (excluding our great wicket keeper and Irfan) cannot score you runs, then the team is not a good ODI side.

Also if you notice our performance in this season so far, it has been our lower order that has scored the runs for us. That includes our bowlers Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh. And Sreesanth also scored some vital runs in that test match in Mumbai against England. So we really do not need a 6th batsman if the wicket is really flat. We can go in with an extra bowler who can bat a bit (Ramesh Powar is the ideal choice) and thus it strengthens our lower order even more and gives us the 5th bowling option!

If you take a closer look at the last two series played by India - 6-1 win against SL and 4-1 thrashing of pak, India didn't use their super sub at all! In most of the matches India played with 4 bowlers and used to chase, with bowler as their super sub. And the super sub never made it to the team most of the time. The real reason for India's emergence is Pathan & Dhoni's good showing as they have added depth to the Indian batting lineup.

gaurav_indian said:
I think super-sub rule was favouring India bcoz they can go with five bowlers.But now when it's over the effect will show on our team lineup seeing the last few months performance.

Off course Indian bowlers deserved the wickets! After all they bowled well enough to put pressure on Eng batsmen, which resulted in Eng lineup imploding spectacularly. Defending 204 was a great effort by the Indians and they deserved to win the match.

ronny_kingsley said:
Start watching matches other than India then if you think Bangladesh wouldnt have made 164.Those guys are doing very well nowadays especially with thier batting.

They have prooven against India,England,Australia,Sri Lanka that they are a good side.

The same Indian bowlers who fared exceddingly well in the similar Mumbai conditions.

How many here believe (and be true to your heart) that Indians deserved last 8 wickets with thier bowling and if yes how many?????????????

For me just Jones that too because of the pressure and his extra agressiveness.

What do other guys think ?????

sohummisra said:
@ronny
So you are giving no credit to the Indian bowlers for taking English wickets, but are you giving credit to the English bowlers for taking the Indian wickets? If I remember correctly, apart from Dravid, all the Indian wickets were gifted away too. So what makes you say that England deserve to win the match more? India gave up their wickets, England gave up their wickets. But India made more.

Dravid's too wasnt a great delivery. It was more of an "error of judgement" from Dravid that led to his downfall after scoring 34 valuable runs (even though he should have been out for a duck had Shah held onto that catch)!

alfa_beta said:
If you take a closer look at the last two series played by India - 6-1 win against SL and 4-1 thrashing of pak, India didn't use their super sub at all! In most of the matches India played with 4 bowlers and used to chase, with bowler as their super sub. And the super sub never made it to the team most of the time. The real reason for India's emergence is Pathan & Dhoni's good showing as they have added depth to the Indian batting lineup.

Off course Indian bowlers deserved the wickets! After all they bowled well enough to put pressure on Eng batsmen, which resulted in Eng lineup imploding spectacularly. Defending 204 was a great effort by the Indians and they deserved to win the match.

And one more thing was that, until Flintoff and Pietersen carted the Indian bowlers, the pitch didnt look that tough for batting. They were batting as if it was a flat wicket. So I would credit the Indian bowlers along with our captain for the victory!

Users who are viewing this thread