Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
"it was personal reasons and would like to be left alone"
Agreed.

But why he has to retract it later with the stomach bug thing, lack of sleep etc etc.. It only contradicts his stance that he'd like to be left alone.

I think it is very sad that people are criticising Trescothick for leaving India, the bug seems to be really badand wasn't eating, drinmking or sleeping. He has been a very loyal servant to England down the years and now he's a villain who has left England. TRESCO FOREVER!!

vizard said:
OK Sureshot maybe we aren't the best ODI side at present but that's your opinion..and that wasn't the post was all about anyways, but you convinietly chose to ignore the main issue there . Nevermind.

The main issue being the English attitude against ODIs?

I'm against them too, they suck compared to Tests.

3 Tests and 7 ODIs, only do it like that for the money.

vizard said:
Agreed.

But why he has to retract it later with the stomach bug thing, lack of sleep etc etc.. It only contradicts his stance that he'd like to be left alone.

Part of the reason was apparently family as well. He missed them, and being ill saw it as a good chance to spend his recovery time with them. As he pointed out most cricketers if an international, spend up to 300 days a year either travelling around England with their county or around the World with their country.

When you think that he has done that without a break for 4 years, I think he deserves to go home, spend time with his family, especially when he has a stomach bug and hasn't been eating or sleeping.

Tresco is a private person, perhaps him and the management decided at the time that it was best to keep the focus on Team England, rather than on one individual. End of the day, whatever he decided, we have to respect his decision, as it was his to make, noone elses.

If it was a family problem, he should have quit before the series, giving the team enough time to gel together with a new combination.

andrew_nixon said:
Continuing the game on the reserve day is obviously the best solution, as it gives more chance of getting a full game in.
It is perhaps obvious to you, but you do need to come out of your bubble, once in a while. Match situations change, weather conditions change. Apart from the fact that you completely alter the momentum generated by either team, which makes a huge difference in cricket matches.

Sureshot said:
The main issue being the English attitude against ODIs?

I'm against them too, they suck compared to Tests.

3 Tests and 7 ODIs, only do it like that for the money.
Why are you against ODIs, compared to Tests? Do you perhaps think that England's ODI form has anything to do with it? Nooo, of course not. As for 7 ODIs, it is a bit much, but it gives a chance for cricket to go to the lesser-visited stadia in India, and gives more people the chance to watch cricket. And like it or not, the average cricket fan in India will prefer ODI cricket to Test cricket. So you are not only chasing the money, but giving people what they want. But of course, the BCCI cannot do anything right.

sohummisra said:
It is perhaps obvious to you, but you do need to come out of your bubble, once in a while. Match situations change, weather conditions change. Apart from the fact that you completely alter the momentum generated by either team, which makes a huge difference in cricket matches.
So you think the best solution is the one that reduces the chance of getting a full match in?

Trescothick's bug was quite mysterious, but all this fatigued talk makes me wonder if he has symptoms of CFS/ME, which basically means that you get extremely fatigued and incredibly ill, some people can't even move around the house they are so ill.

Anybody with CFS/ME want to add on that? I know this as my sister has it.

Adarsh said:
Tresco explains his absence
I know you may think I'm an idiot who doesn't care about others well being, etc., BUT I think it's a very poor excuse to miss the tests and the ODIs. A stomach bug and home sickness. Hmm..., I'd have forgiven him if the rumours about his family had been true but this excuse is simply not good enough IMO. If Tendulkar had done this, imagine the media response.
Nothing much would have happened considering his not so good current form!

And also whether a player makes himself available or not should be entirely his own decision. you cannot force anyone to play just for the sake of it.

Last edited:
andrew_nixon said:
So you think the best solution is the one that reduces the chance of getting a full match in?
If that comes at the expense of getting a fair game in, yes. I don't believe we should sacrifice the intricacies of a game just to have a complete game.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,8-1218448,00.html

Bob Willis the Senseless one:- Referring to Blackwell.

And how can you say he is only effective on the sub continent? Is that a bad thing?
Dear god, sooner sky kick him to the OAP registrar the better.

sohummisra said:
Why are you against ODIs, compared to Tests? Do you perhaps think that England's ODI form has anything to do with it? Nooo, of course not. As for 7 ODIs, it is a bit much, but it gives a chance for cricket to go to the lesser-visited stadia in India, and gives more people the chance to watch cricket. And like it or not, the average cricket fan in India will prefer ODI cricket to Test cricket. So you are not only chasing the money, but giving people what they want. But of course, the BCCI cannot do anything right.

I'm against ODIs because Tests ARE the pinnacle of Cricket, And I find ODIs repetitive.

I couldn't care less about our form and anyway, I've never experienced good England ODI form in my 6 years of watching them.

Sureshot said:
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,8-1218448,00.html
I'm against ODIs because Tests ARE the pinnacle of Cricket, And I find ODIs repetitive.
Tests may be the purest form of cricket, but as an international sport, they're a joke. Only 10 teams can play them, whereas over 90 teams have the chance to play ODIs.

Give me a World Cup win, where you're the best out of more than 90 teams, over top of the test rankings, where you're the best out of just 10 teams, or an Ashes win, where you're the best out of just two teams, anytime.

thats you...but there are people out there (including me) who believe that 1/10 for tests is always worth more than that 1/90 for ODIs.

cricket_lover said:
thats you...but there are people out there (including me) who believe that 1/10 for tests is always worth more than that 1/90 for ODIs.
Fair enough, but number one in tests is not number one in an international sport.

Sureshot said:

I couldn't care less about our form and anyway, I've never experienced good England ODI form in my 6 years of watching them.
What if England's cricket resurrection came through winning the 2003 World Cup and not being a very good test team? What if England were thumped in all their test outings, but thumped their opposition in all the ODI outings, in the last few years.

I think we can all try to be idealistic, but I think almost everyone, including myself, only sing the song that has a good tune. But then, you could be the one needle in the haystack.

Users who are viewing this thread