England in New Zealand

Anderson may have been poor at times but you cannot say he is one of the worst players to ever put on a white for England.

Hoggard has a fairly poor record of late (and under Moore, that's the key thing). He's not quite the same as he was.

We need to move on from the 05 Ashes. Maybe dropping men who only play one discipline and who haven't been good enough is the way forward.

James Anderson is a quality bowler, when he gets it right. On a swinging, bouncy wicket he's a real handful, and his aggression offers something different to Hoggard, who as mentioned by Sureshot has been in fairly average form. Jimmy deserves another chance, i hope he comes good, he's one of my favourite England players tbh. Broad's a good selection aswell, i feel he's a little over-rated, but still a very good bowler, and a wicket-taker aswell. What i've also noticed from him is that he takes wickets with bad balls, and doesnt just get carted around. The young detirmination that Broad and Anderson will offer should help us win this game i think. I also have full faith in the batting being completely transformed, i think we'll win this game comfortably.

The guy averages 3 wickets a test, i dont think we need someone to come in who will get a whole 3 wickets this test, fantastic isnt it? Hoggy is a solid performer who's average under moores will be higher than it should be because he was playing injured in the summer. Moores has set the team into a state of regression. Bring back the players that are past their best, lose team morale and inspire great bowling and batting performances. The only positive i can think of his performance as coach is Ryan Sidebottom. He's managed to ruin Ravi Bopara. He's let the pressure get to KP and managed to stop him playing his natural game.

Bring back Butcher, Thorpe, Caddick and even Alec Stewart into the team im starting to think of a situation where the poor man might actually do this. At the international level he is clueless.

Well England batting in overcast condition...As an English team's fan I am nervous.England need to bat well and need to build good total..I am not worried about result..I just want good total from England in 1st inning..Backing very strongly Strauss....He has point to prove..Returns of Broad will be another point to follow..Hope they do well..

59/0, why are we bowling first? DOesn't sound like our bowlers fronted up well either. I don't think we had enough days in between games for bowlers to recover. 3 days isn't enough. We arn't used to this. Not making excuses though. They should be able to perform still. Both teams are at that disadvantage.

Ha ha..But really surprised to me..Why Vettori has elected bowl..Not because England have started well but NZ batted first in last Match and they were successful..Now on this point of series NZ should be comfortable.Its England who wants to get back in series so indirectly NZ won't mind draw..NZ should had bat first.I don't see anything in Pitch for bowlers..Mills is curving the ball but He can do that at any day!!!

Okay, Now I can see why we bowled first ;) The bowlers have finally found their lines. Brilliant come back boys.

Ya Thats the typical English team collapse which I am watching from past month at3:00 clock night...
At last KP brought his average under 50 in tests also..England batting under serious question??NZ on top...Now its absurd to expect something from Broad and company..England in lots trouble..

In reference to Hoggard and Harmison, Australia could have been saying similar things in the 2005 Ashes, but the truth is that the time was up for those bowlers, no matter how good they were at their best.

Harmison has looked awful for a while now and in truth his peak wasn't so flash that he simply had to have this sort of tenure. He was effective for 100 wickets and still worthwhile for 80 more, but he now doesn't remotely look like the guy you'd pull out of a domestic game for a call up. He's tall, pretty fast and not yet 30, but he's a player who has hung around because of that body and not because of the head.

Hoggard might have a bit more to go, but his fitness is a worry. If he has come into this series with full fitness, then he's looking a good five years older than he really is. I'd hope that he's just underdone.

I don't know so much about Anderson being the future, but Broad has plenty of good moments for a young guy. I'd suggest they need to think harder about how they pick bowlers, but Sidebottom was a selection that suggests they do know how to do the right thing, so I'm not so sure. England supporters talk about Moores' involvement in selections in a very different aspect to what I'm used to; does he get the final say? There might be better arguments for transparency and division of power, but I'm not seeing an example of why the coach should be the dictator.

In terms of the batting, there's not a lot of reason to drop any of them on paper. They're all accomplished enough, just not performing. I would say that in a team game, sometimes a loser's malaise can hurt players who are otherwise fine (and maybe bad bowling weakens batting resolve and so forth), but apart from that there is no obvious answer to their woes. It's just a general lack of intensity.

To be fair to the batsmen, this isn't a huge lack of intensity, either. It's just very noticeable. They're still playing well enough to give a 4 or 5 day contest.

Last edited:
NZ hasn't been as good with the ball lately, bowling crap to Ambrose, though he's looking the best batter thus far. Collingwood continues batting negatively, I hope he gets out again.

Well the Boy from Sussex has surprised me..Ambrose shifting the momentum toward England again..Hope KP is watching How He would had bat on this Pitch..
Thats very good impact from 25 years young wicket keeper..He has been looks like very promising throughout his innings..
Hope He and Colly will sail the England to safe..
Another interesting point was Vettori who introduced him self so late....But hes captainship has been watchful till now..

James Anderson is a quality bowler, when he gets it right. On a swinging, bouncy wicket he's a real handful, and his aggression offers something different to Hoggard, who as mentioned by Sureshot has been in fairly average form. Jimmy deserves another chance, i hope he comes good, he's one of my favourite England players tbh.
An average of 40 after so many games perhaps suggests his not cut out for Test Cricket?

*Cough* Ashley Giles *Cough*

I remember you Englishmen saying Hoggard was your most consistant bowler and you drop him after 1 game?

Nevertheless, I think NZ will crumble after this English comeback regardless of whoevers bowling. Great batting by Ambrose.

Ya Ambrose doing wonderful job there..I just found out that He was borne in New South Wales,Australia...

Ambrose has batted well, though we've bowled some trash to him and he edged a few over the slips. He's put it away well though found the gaps on every occasion.

This last session has been disgusting bowling. I'd say the bowlers are pretty tired. I think the pitch is going to be flat as from now on, we needed one more wicket by the end of the second session. We shouldn't have bowled first, we should have been confident and batted, but on the other hand, we got the most assistance from the pitch that it will provide. So I guess it didn't matter a lot.

I can see us losing this game.

I think NZ will lose the game, I see allot of teams crumble when they go out to bat after having a team 5 down for not many and then a comeback from the latter half of the batsman.

I wouldn't say NZ have bowled poorly. Oram's got it nipping around everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread