England in New Zealand

Harmison and Hoggard axed

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/nzveng/content/story/342058.html

"It was a very tough call," said Vaughan, "but we had a gut feeling that we needed to make a change. The attack needed a bit of a shake-up and it's a great opportunity for Jimmy and Broady to establish themselves at this level, and stamp their authority on Test cricket. I also hope that Matthew Hoggard and Steve Harmison really fight and try to take their places back because that will create a healthy environment."
England's two most senior bowlers, Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard, have paid the price for their poor performances in last week's 189-run defeat against New Zealand at Hamilton. Both men have both been dropped for Thursday's second Test at Wellington, with Stuart Broad and James Anderson coming into the side at their expense.

2nd Test XIs :-

N.Z-J. How,M. Bell,S. Fleming,M. Sinclair,R. Taylor,J. Oram,B. McCullum - V.C/W.K,D. Vettori-Capt.,K. Mills,J. Patel,C. Martin.12th:M. Gillespie,G. Elliot.

Eng.-A. Cook,M. Vaughan-Capt.,A. Strauss[a horrendous #3],K. Pietersen,I. Bell[should be at #3 or #6],P. Collingwood - V.C [demoted to #6 unnecessarily],T. Ambrose - W.K,S. Broad [handy at #8],R. Sidebottom,J. Anderson,M. Panesar.

So we keep the same batting line up that collapsed under pressure, AGAIN. Shah should have come in. Hoggard shouldn't have been dropped, Anderson didn't exactly do anything in the domestic game and Hoggys our best bowler even if he is out of form and probably not match fit yet.

2nd Test XIs :-

N.Z-J. How,M. Bell,S. Fleming,M. Sinclair,R. Taylor,J. Oram,B. McCullum - V.C/W.K,D. Vettori-Capt.,K. Mills,J. Patel,C. Martin.12th:M. Gillespie,G. Elliot.

Eng.-A. Cook,M. Vaughan-Capt.,A. Strauss[a horrendous #3],K. Pietersen,I. Bell[should be at #3 or #6],P. Collingwood - V.C [demoted to #6 unnecessarily],T. Ambrose - W.K,S. Broad [handy at #8],R. Sidebottom,J. Anderson,M. Panesar.

Official Black Caps team:

1. How
2. Bell
3. Fleming
4. Sinclair
5. Taylor
6. Oram
7. Vettori
8. McCullum
9. Mills
10. Gillespie
11. Martin

Patel is gone, it's a seaming wicket. This would have probably suited Hoggards and Harmison if they had been selected. Sidebottom will have a field day on this green wicket. Expect low scores.

Well this ground is not so lucky for NZ'ers, NZ'ers have to play very well to beat England again. England has better chance of winning is what I feel. Though this year till now has been wierd with full of upsets. .I don't know if NZ beating 3-0 England will be upset or not, perhaps yes :-|

Really isnt surprising.

Harmison 1-121 and Hoggard 1-122, not good enough for test cricket level. Lets hope Anderson and Broad can perform better!

Absolutely stupid.

I would've kept Hoggard in the side and brought in Broad.

Would've kept Harmison & Anderson on the sidelines.

No, you misread what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

His the sort of bowler who just runs in and bowls. Pretty basic & simple. Nothing overally special about him.

Except he takes wickets. As proven in his ODI role and for his county teams. He's got energy and enthusiasm. May not be bowling skills but they are very important for bowlers.

Interesting choice to drop Hoggard and Harmison. Not qualms about Harmison going. Dropping Hoggard? Well his record has been quite poor. Average of 36 in the last 9 tests. He's had injury problems so probably isn't 100% and only 1 five wicket haul in his last 16 tests.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/14236.html?class=1;template=results;type=bowling

He did bowl well on his last tour of New Zealand.

The fielding should be good. Anderson and Broad are very good fielders. So it's only Sidebottom and Panesar who are poor fielders. Both have fairly safe hands, but not that agile.

Overall, thumbs up from me. Though the Hoggard dropping is a risk, Harmison dropping isn't.

I personally think It is going to be better without Hoggard and Harmison.

Yes Hoggard can swing it, and Harmy can whip it in with a bit of pace, but the first test performance was horrible.

Well deserved change IMO.

Well It don't make any sense If England gonna go with same batting line up..Why the hell Strauss playing at number 3???I know If gonna get out then It can happen in opening also but Give him the slot where he has played his whole career..
Why Vaughn can't play at number 3???He has batted there for long at No.3..
I am very nervous about today's Match..Specially because I know this change won't gonna help until England wont bat like English batsman!!!Finger crossed..Another disappointment from here and they can loose them lots of fans...

As proven in his ODI role and for his county teams.

It's still team for now :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p

I like the idea of dropping Hoggy to kee everyone on their toes but he's not going to get any more match practice by being dropped, him and Harmy should go and play some NZ cricket like Jimmy did.

At the end of the day the batsmen are just as responsible if not more so for the defeat so they've got to be on last chances.

Wow we've dropped one of our most consistant bowlers we've had for a long time to accomodate one of the worst players to every put on the english whites. Since Moores has come in he's certainly changed the side.

The dropping of hoggard leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, im starting to get a feeling of enjoyment watching the reigime fail much as i did when steve mclaren was incharge of the football side. Come on England...

Users who are viewing this thread