England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

lancashire666

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
With regards to Patel I feel that if he bats 4 for Notts he ought to be able to stick around against an attack that isn't massively threatening. We need to make sure we're bowled out in this innings not giving wickets away.
Obviously Trott is the key. If he stays in England win.
New ball due soon so we'll have a better idea in 10/15 overs time.

Thats exactly what Patel just did

I really dont get that choice of shot.

There are massive gaps in the field and singles for the taking, really easy singles which have worked for England all day, yet Patel decided the best option was to smash a shot against the spin to an area where there is a catcher :facepalm

I just really dont understand how at any point he could decide that was a sensible option.

Owzat

International Coach
We just make it so easy for them. Giving away wickets rather than supporting the in batsman.
The lower order need to play sensibly and support Trott.

I fear Trott may feel compelled to take charge and do something silly.

If England want to draw positives from this, as is their wont, then I guess it is the highest 4th innings score at Galle. And I'm not happy that Rohit has jinxed us.

Broad and Swann need to hang around and see 50-60 more runs added minimum, if England look at it like that then they might still do it. Trott staying the course is now the key. Shame he was let down by the 2 Ps which is what they should get paid for their respective letting England down

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well good effort to be honest. I've said all along they wouldn't chase it. This game was lost in the first innings.
Hugely frustrating that this is only a 2 match series as I feel we're the better team.

Owzat

International Coach
He needed to get back to his briyani.

I vaguely recall him making a statement he was aiming at playing Test cricket, well he got his way but won't get many if he doesn't wise up. Maybe he should stick to ODIs and county cricket.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Game over. Credit to England as they got a lot closer than I thought they would. All thanks to the snooze-fest that is Trott :thumbs Brilliant innings.

Owzat

International Coach
He's an Indian fan. It doesn't count.

Sorry, you've misread my meaning. I mean I'm not happy that we might not win as some have alluded to before, or that I might prove him wrong.

Sadly England don't like making me eat my own words, bar Trott and other instances of batting like they should, England haven't done much this winter. If runs aren't easy to come by they hide behind their career averages, it's the ones that stand up and be counted when it matters that are the real stars - like Trott has here. Where was the rest of the order?

lancashire666

International Coach
Wasnt expecting England to get anywhere near the target, but to get into such a great position, and to end it with such poor shot selection is even more disappointing that getting steamrolled by Pakistan somehow.

Great innings by Trott, was exactly what England needed, if more players could have played a sensible innings rather than throwing away there wicket then this game would of been over by now.

So England's bowlers playing well, England's batsman letting them down again, time to drop a bowler again England!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I hate being right in these situations but I have said a few times England will get 250ish, there will be a cluster of wickets falling together and we will continue to get ourselves out to poor shots to spin bowling.

Owzat

International Coach
Only cos there are 10 scheduled breaks in a match for kebabs, samosas and cake.

:lol

Unfortunately Trottsky is out and bye bye our chances of winning. What odds England mention said "record" 4th innings total at Galle in their attempt to excuse a defeat, assuming miracles don't happen?

UAE/Sri Lanka tours

Trott 285 runs @ 35.63
Strauss 203 runs @ 25.38
Cook 173 runs @ 21.63
Bell 116 runs @ 14.50
Pietersen 100 runs @ 12.50

Good job their career averages are great and they beat the beatable sides or else we might have to drop them :rolleyes and risk, I dunno, winning matches :rolleyes

Morgan 82 runs @ 13.67
Patel 12 runs @ 6.00

Weren't Morgan and Patel supposed to be master players of spin? Ah well, next Test same line-up same result same excuses

Users who are viewing this thread