Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
If Sidebottom was "finished," it'd be much like the Hoggard scenario. Muchly unjustified. What has Sidebottom done wrong?

I'm not a fan. Feel he was never good enough for England. Just a county pro who could be useful on the right wicket. Just too slow and limited to be a serious threat at test level.

I can see us winning comfortably at home, we did it last time West Indies came to England, with a team very similar to this one, so I can see us doing it again. We're certainly a better team than the result and the bowling figures indicate.

Hey you guys were saying that about this series too :p

Also the team that played England in England was much different both in personnel and the team spirit.

Sarwan got injured, Ganga took over as captain.

Here are the players that were in England that arent playing in this series:

Samuels, Rampaul, Collymore, Ganga, Sammy, Sylvester Joseph a good amount of players.

I just would have preferred them to win 3-1 or 2-1 or even 4-0 so there were actually some results in these matches.
The thing is though, like I said earlier, the last time West Indies won a series against non-Bangladeshi opposition was in 2003. They don't win very often at all. Therefore any win is a brilliant win for them, and I think these tactics are understandable.

A strong WI is good for cricket. I'm just not sure a WI side characterised by 3 pure bowlers and spinners bowling 60% of the overs, with batsmen batting at strike rates of 30 (Shiv, Nash, Devon Smith) is that good. Gayle, Edwards, Taylor, Sarwan, Bravo are still around though. I guess the Calypso magic will just be in smaller doses from now...

Jimmy finally gets a well deserved wicket. Ramdin gone LBW, and he walks instead of referring. Good to see for Jimmy, looked fantastic today, going to be seriously dangerous in England! West Indies and Australia beware!

Well done Anderson! Finally gets the wicket he deserves, he's been the best bowler this series for England and his stats don't do justice.

I'm not a fan. Feel he was never good enough for England. Just a county pro who could be useful on the right wicket. Just too slow and limited to be a serious threat at test level.

See, thats a very "Fletcher'ed" mind-set. He can swing a ball, and his lack of pace could be a contributing factor to why he's so good. Also, he's a left arm'er, not as rare, but still fairly rare.

Its kinda why I feel sorry for medium-fast bowlers, they're never ever going to get close to 10 caps for England if the mind-set is kept like this. Hoggard, has lost pace, and also lost his place. Sidebottom, never had vast amounts of place, and people say he's crap for it.

Don't be Fletcher :p Pace isn't everything in the International game.

Congratulations Jimmy Anderson for one of the most well deserved wickets one will ever see.

See, thats a very "Fletcher'ed" mind-set. He can swing a ball, and his lack of pace could be a contributing factor to why he's so good. Also, he's a left arm'er, not as rare, but still fairly rare.

Its kinda why I feel sorry for medium-fast bowlers, they're never ever going to get close to 10 caps for England if the mind-set is kept like this. Hoggard, has lost pace, and also lost his place. Sidebottom, never had vast amounts of place, and people say he's crap for it.

Meh. I'm probably biased having read his autobio last year but hard not to like the coach who delivered the Ashes.

It's not a pace thing for me, it's effectiveness. The guy I want to come in is very Sidebottom/Hoggard pace, but actually takes wickets. Mark Davies, he's a far better option. Sidebottom's not effective enough anymore, and will never be 100% fit again, so won't ever be good enough to get back into the England XI. Harmison's got more chance of getting back in, he'll go back to Durham and get a bagful and be bowling genuinely fast again, like he did last year.

Deserved wicket for Anderson, worked his ass off for that wicket.

Ladies and gentlemen here comes the Gayle show, after tea that is.

Sidebottom's finished, there are better options. Jones, Davies, Amjad, Harmison, Hoggard, Ali and Bresnan are all better. Sidebottom had 2 good series where he dominated a poor Kiwi batting line-up, since then his record has been poor. He was unlucky in Sri Lanka, but even so, his record there finished up poor. I'd move on from him and get Davies in, at least Davies looks capable of getting wickets, his County record is astonishing.

I can see us winning comfortably at home, we did it last time West Indies came to England, with a team very similar to this one, so I can see us doing it again. We're certainly a better team than the result and the bowling figures indicate.

Davies, judging by his county record indeed deserves a shot but unless Jones gets fit & Harmison retrieves his rhythm for Durham like last summer, I wouldn't choose any other of those ahead of Sidebottom tbh.

And though I think we should win at home, I think West Indies have shown more than enough fight to show it oughn't be comfortable.

Glad Jimmy's got a wicket though, bowled very well today.

I've never been a true fan of Harmison, lacks pride for England I think, especially by his constant moaning about hating touring. Man-up, it his job, a privileged one at that.

Good wicket for Anderson, just need a few more now.......

Users who are viewing this thread