Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Also brilliant to note we select him on a pitch thats turning big considering how early it is into the game and will only get worse ahead of one of the best players of spin at our disposale whom also got a ton in a warm up game. Wow.

Wasn't a pressure situation though, he got out when the pressure had gone and he was set. He coped well with the pressure early but then succumbed once he'd got in!

I would say that was the most important partnership, so was a pressure situation. Now we don't look in a very good position with 3 wicket down

England choose to persevere with Broad who has been given far too many opportunities to prove himself with the ball, none of which he has taken. Maybe he'll take a few wickets today, I'm sure that'll secure his place until he retires with a Test bowling average of 50. The omission of Jimmy Anderson, in favour of Broad is perplexing indeed, Gayle has stated in interviews that he is scared of Anderson's swing (as if his performance against Chaminda Vaas was not telling enough) and yet he stays out of the side.

I agree Anderson is unlucky but Harmison should have made way not Broad imo. Broad's much better than his bowling average might suggest.

And I can't imagine how exasperated Shah must feel.

The morning session might have acted as a sign to those who have been thinking England will steamroll the West Indies. It won't be that easy, the Windies are a fast improving team.

Then again, you expect it to be a bit edgy on the first morning of a Test match. Strauss and Cook will find form, in my opinion they will do so in the second innings of this game. Collingwood will fight, and Pietersen has looked good, so if they can handle the spinners we should be on for a good total still.

I don't know much about Jaggernauth but Benn has been a good inclusion so far. He has caused problems, especially to Pietersen who doesn't like left arm spinners. As has been said on commentary, it is a freak for there to be so much spin on the first morning of a Test match in Jamaica.

So far it has been edgy but if things go as they should England will steady the ship (like I thought Bell and Pietersen were doing) and a good total will be on. If the West Indies pick up a wicket or two, we will be into the tail before tea on day one. Vital session coming up.

I agree Anderson is unlucky but Harmison should have made way not Broad imo. Broad's much better than his bowling average might suggest.

Explain how you justify that? He has had a shot at Test cricket and has not proved himself; on what basis does he keep his place? At least Harmison has the strong record in the West Indies going for him, Broad has little, not even a good FC record.

time for Gayle to bring on a quick. maybe Edwards to see if he can reverse the ball a bit.

edit: and collingwood is out, Benn finally gets a wicket after plenty of chances. keep em coming boys.

Explain how you justify that? He has had a shot at Test cricket and has not proved himself; on what basis does he keep his place? At least Harmison has the strong record in the West Indies going for him, Broad has little, not even a good FC record.

Broad's first class average is 30.65 which is hardly shabby. He's only had 10 tests and at 22 he's only going to get better.

Whereas Harmison averaged 57.33 last year and looked disinterested in India. And considering Hussain described the pitch as "subcontinental" I really don't expect him to do anything but haemorrhage runs.

Oh dear, Colly gone and now its raining but I suspect it will be a quick shower they normally are just quick breaks in the West Indies.

Cannot fathom how such a placid pitch is spinning so much Benn has looked a very good player so far despite me having seen him bowl filth in other matches.
Can't wait to see Monty on this pitch either he played well in the warm up and this pitch offers everything he likes spin and bounce, if he fails in this match bring in Swann!

Yeh, if Panesar fails to take wickets on this he'll have to be ditched. The pitch is already breaking up, so by the time we're bowling it should be perfect for Panesar!

Broad's first class average is 30.65 which is hardly shabby. He's only had 10 tests and at 22 he's only going to get better.

Ten Tests is a long time considering his poor Test record. Moreover, the FC average of 30.65 is not really 'good', moreso average.

Whereas Harmison averaged 57.33 last year and looked disinterested in India. And considering Hussain described the pitch as "subcontinental" I really don't expect him to do anything but haemorrhage runs.

Harmison did look disinterested in India. Personally, Anderson and Swann to come in for Harmison and Broad would be ideal considering the slow nature of the track, the success of the spinners so far and the general success of spinners in West Indian domestic cricket. However, Swann's poor performance in the warm up game may have convinced England against this plan. Harmison does have the Sabina Park and West Indies record to his positive, but he has a lot going against him, I won't argue with you there.

Haven't seen you around too much before, welcome to planetcricket.

Users who are viewing this thread