Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Plunkett never performed in County Cricket though, which should be the initial criteria for international selection. In 10 First Class seasons, he has averaged under 30 once, 19 wickets in 2006 at 27.15...

One Day cricket is a slightly more promising story, as he performed strongly in the CB Series a little while back and had a strong 2007. This being said, he had a poor season this year.

As a result he hasn't always been in Durham's team and considered moving to Yorkshire at the end of the season although he has signed a new contract with Durham now.

Well I didn't know wether to post this here or in the India vs England thread but thought it can go both ways, Read this article on cricinfo and would like to quote one paragraph from it.
cricinfo said:
Vaughan and Middlesex batsman Owais Shah could be competing to take the place of under-pressure Ian Bell, who has managed only one half-century in his last ten Test innings. Shah was England's highest run-getter, making 236 runs at a strike-rate of 102, in their 5-0 one-day series loss to India.

"We left out Owais Shah for the two Tests after doing very well in the one-dayers and is pushing very hard for his Test place," Moores said. "So we have to look at that and pick what we think is the best squad to go to the West Indies and following the West Indies away and at home we've got the big Ashes coming up."

They have quite clearly just stated they know that shah is in a fine vain of form and that bell was struggling and they still didn't pick him! I don't see where the logic comes in that? Playing shah probably would have been the best move as he got 80 odd in his test debut in India last time and has is a very class player. Should really been given a go in the next two series as he could be put to good use in The Ashes!

The people that select the England starting eleven haven't got a clue. How could Shah be left out of the test side?

Right well looks like Vaughan is set to be recalled. and what has he done. Jack all! The press never really seem to be wrong and are normally given the inside information first. Bell looks like he's gonna get dropped frrom the Test squad but not the ODI squad with Denly set to be called up;

These are the cricinfo predicted squads;
Possible Test squad Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Michael Vaughan, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Ambrose (wk), Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Monty Panesar.

Possible one-day squad Joe Denly, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior (wk), Samit Patel, Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Amjad Khan, Steve Harmison.

Gonna have to feel sorry for Ambrose because unless Prior gets an injury he's not really going to get selected. Tomorrow we will find it is it runs or reputation that matter to the selectors.

These are the cricinfo predicted squads;
Possible Test squad Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Michael Vaughan, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Ambrose (wk), Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Monty Panesar.

Possible one-day squad Joe Denly, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior (wk), Samit Patel, Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Amjad Khan, Steve Harmison.

I think Bell will make the test squad and it will be a battle between Vaughan and Shah to whom the last place goes to. Then we'll see during warm up matches who gets into the final XI. I'll be interested to see which of the bowlers gets into the side as well as the seamers will be battling for the 3 places in the side and Panesar will be battling Swann for the spin place.

Bell should play in the West Indies, the wickets will suit his game far more than those in the sub-continent. Still don't see why Ambrose gets in the squad, same with Sidebottom, he's not going to be fit, just a waste of a squad place. I'd have Shah, Bopara, Tremlett and Davies in the Test Squad in place of Ambrose, Sidebottom and Vaughan. What Vaughan's done to warrant a squad place is beyond me.

No Vaughan, Rashid called up for the tests and Davies and Mascarenhas come into the ODI team in place of Ambrose and Cook.

holdenator added 10 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

England's 3 squads; Test, ODI and Lions squads.

England Test squad for tour to West Indies: Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire, capt), Tim Ambrose (Warwickshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Alastair Cook (Essex), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire), Steve Harmison (Durham), Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), Matt Prior (Sussex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), Andrew Strauss (Middlesex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire).

England one-day squad for tour to West Indies:
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire, capt), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Steven Davies (Worcestershire), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire), Steve Harmison (Durham), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire), Matt Prior (Sussex), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire).

England Lions squad to tour New Zealand: Robert Key (Kent, capt), Gareth Batty (Worcestershire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Mark Davies (Durham), Steven Davies (Worcestershire)*, Joe Denly (Kent), Amjad Khan (Kent), Sajid Mahmood (Lancashire), Stephen Moore (Worcestershire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Durham), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Luke Wright (Sussex).

* Tim Ambrose will replace Stephen Davies in the Lions squad after the Test series in the West Indies.

following the conclusion of the Test Series in West Indies.

Thank god that they dodn't bring back Vaughan which almost certainly means that Shah will be in the team for the first test in place of Bell. Interesting decision will have to be made regarding the spinner selection, we all know Monty is probably the better bowler but he hasn't shown it in India and Swann easily outbowled him plus can field and bat a bit aswell. Still don't see why Tim Ambrose has kept his place in the Test squad he's done nothing since getting dropped while people like James Foster are repeatedly ignored.

Fair enough. Vaughan has had no cricket and Shah should be their instead. Last chance for Bell IMO, either he scores runs in this series or be dropped for the Ashes. Rashid is a surprise since the only way I thought he would be added is if Monty was dropped, although I don't see him getting a game.

Great to see Davies in the ODI team. Has batted well opening the batting for Worcestershire in OD cricket last season and for me must open with Bopara. I would prefer Napier instead of Mascerenhas since he's a much better bowler.
Still don't know why Denly hasn't been given a go. He's certainly proved what a good player he is this season and England are struggling for opening batsmen.

Rashid is a surprise since the only way I thought he would be added is if Monty was dropped, although I don't see him getting a game.
I'm not surprised, of late they seem to select someone for a tour, not play them at all then drop them for someone else when the next tour starts, not play them and drop them...................

3 tests? Plan is probably to win the first two then give Rashid a debut at the 3rd. Though he'd probably do as good a job as Monty, plus he can bat at about 6/7.

Yeah I agree with Kev. Its just like they are there making up the numbers

holdenator added 1 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Sureshot surely he would bat about 9 though? With the team looking a tad like this;

Strauss
Cook
Bell/Shah
Pietersen
Colly
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Rashid
Anderson
Harmy

Surely you wouldnt put rashid above prior and broad?

Playing Rashid and Broad in the same team is madness.

I'm not saying that is our actual team, I'm saying it as to what sureshot was saying.

Users who are viewing this thread