England National football team thread

Lee1981

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Biggest problem with our game is the poor coaching

Now I'm no coach never claimed to be, however in the past 3 months I've took on running my boys under 7 team,

Now for the particular club we play for at this age group we have 2 Saturday teams and my Sunday team.

And in all honesty the 2 Saturday teams have much better players at this stage, not being harsh just stating fact.

In case you don't know, at ages of 6-8 the kids play a 5v5 match for 40mins, they do not play in any leagues there is NO competitive matches at all, just friendlies, so there is no record of results, goals orders, league tables, this is to keep the game fun and make the kids learn and not play under pressure, not sure I agree with this yet, I'm still undecided to be fair, I see both sides

Now they play this non competitive football now until they are 11 I believe although it will eventually go to 7v7 and finally 11v11, another rule now up to under 10 is that when there is a goal kick (from the ground) the opposing team has to retreat behind the halfway line until the ball is kicked, this is obviously designed to allow play from the back, which I for one think it is great.

Now back to club and how I teach my boys, I can already see out of my 8-9 boys who has what certain strengths, this is not say they are set in any position, just for now I have to work from the strengths, we try and play from the back keep the ball wide and give the boy in possession an option, of course this works probably 20% of the time! however I'm determined this season to keep this going! and my target for the boys come the end of the season is gain a much clearer understanding of the game and of course to have had a great time

Now the the 2 Saturday teams as I said have better players and have qualified coaches, well one has the other is his ally and in all honesty one of the biggest pricks I've met, that have a different philosophy, well the pricks team do, they have 2 very good players, both capable of dribbling around the whole opposition team, so their basic strategy Is keeper passes to kid A and then he passes long to the fast kid B and he scores, that's it, really that is it! And you know why?

Result,, wanting to win at all costs, even there as I said before no league table, results, scores, NOTHING, so he basically has 4-5 other boys on if them one of my boys best friends playing second fiddle , they have there way to win and that's it, and it is just wrong, so wrong

Last Saturday I spoke with the prick after his game and that drew 7-7, and all he could say was that if his 2 best players were there then they would have won, not well the other boys stepped up played well, learned anything.

Now as you may realise I do not hide my feelings well and like to say my piece do had to let him know I do not agree with his methods at all, there is no issue between us I just think he is doing things wrong and his kids will learn nothing like this, and I'm sure this happens everywhere still in our country

His team would smash my team up right now, no doubt, however wait 1-2 years then we will see, my kids will be passing his boys off the pitch.

That is my way and it's the way I hope our game goes, after all it really isn't that hard a game, we just seem to never take a step in the right direction.

Rant over

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Dunno about you guys, but I want to see Januzaj (spelling?) in an England squad ASAP before one of the other countries he's eligible for snaps him up - there are quite a few!

A very insightful post from Lee. :)

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Dunno about you guys, but I want to see Januzaj (spelling?) in an England squad ASAP before one of the other countries he's eligible for snaps him up - there are quite a few!

A very insightful post from Lee. :)

ASAP in this case is 2 and a half years.

Auwais

International Coach
Good God, no. Keep him as far away from the England setup as possible.

Lee1981

International Coach
^^

Great contribution Sir Lee. More stuff like that from you in the future would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The game at the age I coach now has changed so much in the 25 years since I started out playing, and don't know about you guys but i still remember them days as 5-6 years old starting out

It has to be fun yes, but also I feel you have to start drumming in the right habits as early as possible, pass the ball to a team mate as it is your best option, not because you don't want the ball, if there is no pass then keep possession, if your a midfield/striker take the ball on and go at the defender, do not be afraid to try something

As we all see with the national team once a player goes past 18/19 they start to suffer with the that pressure, look at Rooney at 18 in 2004 euros, no fear.

Now forward on the last 9 years, he is arguably, technically a better player, however I prefer the Rooney who ran at the French defence and tore them a new arse hole.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Cheers

The game at the age I coach now has changed so much in the 25 years since I started out playing, and don't know about you guys but i still remember them days as 5-6 years old starting out

It has to be fun yes, but also I feel you have to start drumming in the right habits as early as possible, pass the ball to a team mate as it is your best option, not because you don't want the ball, if there is no pass then keep possession, if your a midfield/striker take the ball on and go at the defender, do not be afraid to try something

As we all see with the national team once a player goes past 18/19 they start to suffer with the that pressure, look at Rooney at 18 in 2004 euros, no fear.

Now forward on the last 9 years, he is arguably, technically a better player, however I prefer the Rooney who ran at the French defence and tore them a new arse hole.

That is the key IMO. You have to tell that to the children, or else they will hold onto it and lose the ball while trying to run through the entire opposition team. One thing that wasn't taught to kids at my level when I was younger, when I was around 15 that stayed in a lot of the players' games and they never ever passed which was a big problem.

War

Chairman of Selectors

thedon5

Panel of Selectors

Auwais

International Coach
Wait, what's Januzaj got to do with this? Do people other than ill-informed journalists actually think he's contemplating playing for England?

The real reason for his stalling over national football is the situation with the Kosovo side.

Wilshere just comes across as a cock, tbh. If England want to go down the Senna route, they're entitled to. Some of their players might benefit from playing with more quality, whether English-born or foreign.

Users who are viewing this thread