England Team Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Rob Key is now Managing Director.

On a serious note. I'd love to know what qualifications are looked for beyond just being a former cricketer, which is apparently the most important thing. Seems like the list of people who didn't want this job is longer than those that did. Key almost seems to be the last man standing rather than someone who has come through a field of exceptional individuals.

Also, Key has also been working at Sky for several years, so I'm especially skeptical about all this cross over between ECB and what is, basically, it's main source of funding.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It's hard to think it would be anyone but Stokes. Yes he is injury prone but as the skipper, he will be in position to manage his workload, no?
I think the concern is that all rounders or bowlers are the sort of players that think they are the only ones who can change the game when the game is going against them. Therefore they will run themselves into the ground.

He's always been managed fairly well, he rarely plays T20i and will often be rested in ODI.

I would very much be in favour of playing Woakes as the all rounder at seven and just having Stokes play as a batter.

Tfiwssirhc

#bemore
ENG....
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Vince is a proven failure, being a crap batsman doesn't make you a good captain.
I agree,Vince would be a terrible decision.I can't see past Stokes,he's the only one with leadership qualities.
I wonder,now that Root has lost the job,will we see Anderson and Broad back in the team?

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
On a serious note. I'd love to know what qualifications are looked for beyond just being a former cricketer, which is apparently the most important thing. Seems like the list of people who didn't want this job is longer than those that did. Key almost seems to be the last man standing rather than someone who has come through a field of exceptional individuals.
It's literally just being one of the boys, ideally with (a) a strong background of going to private school and (b) a strong platform from which people get to hear your ideas.

Key ticks all the boxes.

Also, Key has also been working at Sky for several years, so I'm especially skeptical about all this cross over between ECB and what is, basically, it's main source of funding.
This really ties into Point B above - when Ed Smith was made a selector it was off the back of a strong season for TMS so it's an established pattern. Same way Darren Gough got the Yorkshire job via Talksport.

I would have loved someone left-field like Jarrod Kimber, even though it'd likely be disastrous

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Returning to a point made a bit earlier in this thread - if Ben Compton does not walk out to open the batting for England in the first Test this summer, someone is on crack

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Stokes as captain might be good. Since there has been a substantial overhaul in English cricket, I wouldn't put it past the ECB to instate Stokes as full time captain across formats. (Morgan's place too is under scrutiny)The only concern here would be Stokes' mental readiness and injury management/workload. Even if they do this, I doubt it would be a long term solution; fear Stokes might burn out earlier and that may not bode well for the English.

The other options (Test) I see are Broad/ Anderson or Moeen Ali. In case they want to groom a leader, they might ask either of Broad/Anderson to take up the Test captaincy mantle. Akin to what is happening in India. Moeen Ali, is my choice though. I personally think he fits into the side well and has done enough to warrant the top job.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Stokes as captain might be good. Since there has been a substantial overhaul in English cricket, I wouldn't put it past the ECB to instate Stokes as full time captain across formats. (Morgan's place too is under scrutiny)The only concern here would be Stokes' mental readiness and injury management/workload. Even if they do this, I doubt it would be a long term solution; fear Stokes might burn out earlier and that may not bode well for the English.

The other options (Test) I see are Broad/ Anderson or Moeen Ali. In case they want to groom a leader, they might ask either of Broad/Anderson to take up the Test captaincy mantle. Akin to what is happening in India. Moeen Ali, is my choice though. I personally think he fits into the side well and has done enough to warrant the top job.
Moeen Ali is retired.

Users who are viewing this thread