England tour of South Africa 09/10

You do talk some rubbish don't you KP. Performances on TV are not the be-all and end-all of the selection for England.

South Africa win the toss and bowl first. Not suprised really, bowl well upfront then suffocate the batsmen.

England side:
1 Alastair Cook, 2 Joe Denly, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Paul Collingwood (capt), 5 Eoin Morgan, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Luke Wright, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Sajid Mahmood, 11 James Anderson

Last edited:
I still don't see what's so special about Joe Denly. Completely average so far.

You are having a laugh. It swung, but that seemed to hit him and pitch miles outside leg.

Hmm, yeah, it pitched just outside leg, but that did not look out live. Big decision from the umpire. Trott time!

Bad decision, was it the south african umpire by any chance?

That's interesting, McLaren and Langeveldt getting the new ball ahead of Steyn. You'd have thought Steyn would be incredibly dangerous in these swinging, bouncy conditions.

Lee. I thought it was pretty obvious that runs on Sky almost inevitably lead to International call-up. Check Joe Denly and Eoin Morgan, both have pretty average domestic records but scored runs on TV. There's no way Denly or Morgan should have been picked ahead of Trott in ODi's.

That's interesting, McLaren and Langeveldt getting the new ball ahead of Steyn. You'd have thought Steyn would be incredibly dangerous in these swinging, bouncy conditions.

Lee. I thought it was pretty obvious that runs on Sky almost inevitably lead to International call-up. Check Joe Denly and Eoin Morgan, both have pretty average domestic records but scored runs on TV. There's no way Denly or Morgan should have been picked ahead of Trott in ODi's.
Runs on TV (not Sky) are indeed a factor in selection, but that's only right, but they certainly aren't what swings it for a player.

Trott is trotting along nicely here. Speaking of Trots, i expect Dale will have the trots after that over.

Runs on TV (not Sky) are indeed a factor in selection, but that's only right, but they certainly aren't what swings it for a player.

How else do you explain Denly's selection ahead of Trott?

Best fast bowler in the world? Not a problem for Trotty =D What a player.

That's annoying. Trott's gone. We've lost.

Last edited:
How else do you explain Denly's selection ahead of Trott?

Best fast bowler in the world? Not a problem for Trotty =D What a player.
You were going on about Denly long before he was picked for England. And I don't recall seeing any stand-out innings by him on TV before he was selected.

You were going on about Denly long before he was picked for England. And I don't recall seeing any stand-out innings by him on TV before he was selected.

Always thought he was a player of potential, and better than the guys we had, but we've had the likes of Mustard, Prior, Cook, Wright etc opening. I've been calling for Trott's selection for a long time, certainly more so than Denly.

You've obviously not watched many Kent games on TV then. I've seen Denly make 3 or 4 hundreds/big scores on Sky and then a good few contributions in T20's as well. He always seems to make runs on TV, but his overall record indicates he probably isn't good enough, and certainly shouldn't have been picked in ODi's before Trott, who after KP is the best OD batsman in the country. Same for Eoin Morgan, although his selection has now been justified, with good performances in the CT.

As a Kent fan I agree with Dan. Denly needs another season or two of county cricket. He has been one of the few players in county cricket that I have been following, as whilst he could become a great player for England, he won't right now. Then again, exposing him to international cricket, won't exactly harm him as he'll get more experience of what is needed.

I gotta link for the game is anybody needs it, pm me :p

Params7 added 1 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Holy **** out of the stadium O__O

Users who are viewing this thread