Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Hey guys I just noticed that I have made some typing errors in the posts regarding the 3rd test. I have mentioned quite a few times that the test match is being played at Durban, whereas the venue is actually Cape Town.

Inconvenience regretted.

Match Summary (Day 4, 2:12 PM)
South Africa (2nd Innings) 239 all out

G. Smith 54(108) A. Flintoff 3-67
A. De Villiers 48(60) A. Giles 2-5
B. Dippenaar 36(94) J. Anderson 2-27

South Africa (1st Innings) 267 all out
A. Hall 119(119) S. Harmison 4-50
J. Kallis 41(117) A. Giles 3-49

England (1st Innings) 561-8 declared
M. Butcher 194(446) M. Ntini 3-111
M. Vaughan 126(212) A. Nel 2-54
M. Trescothick 33(71)

England win by an innings and 55 runs
England lead 5 match series 2-0 (2 remaining)

Man of the Match: Mark Butcher

Highlights

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 94
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
England have won the third test against South Africa in the MTN Castle Lager Test Series, to gain an
unbeatable 2-0 lead.

South Africa had a near impossible task of saving this match, when they resumed batting on the fourth day, needing another 158 runs just to make England bat again.
However, Smith and Dippenaar gave the Proteas some hope, building up a decent partnership between them. But then Smith was caught by Strauss off Hoggard for 54. Dippenaar also was looking good, before Anderson had him bowled for 36. The lower order were unable to do much, as England bowled out the Proteas for 239. Flintoff was the pick of the England bowlers with figures of 3-67, while Anderson and Giles each picked up 2 wickets.

Mark Butcher was named Man of the Match for his fantastic innings of 194.

The teams now head to Johannesburg for the 4th test, where the Proteas have to win, to save this series.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 80
England claim innings victory over South Africa
engcelebrate37me.jpg

Giles and his England teammates celebrate the end of South Africa's 2nd innings with the fall of Ntini.

England have beaten South Africa in the 3rd Test of the MTN Castle Lager Test Series by an innings and 55 runs, after the hosts were bowled out in their second innings for 239. With this, England now have an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the series.
engcelebrate23gp.jpg

Flintoff was the pick of the England bowlers in the second innings with 3-67

South Africa resumed their overnight score of 136-4, with Smith and Dippenaar at the crease. A win was out of the cards for the Proteas, and even the draw looked highly unlikely, especially as there was no rain predicted for the next two days.

Smith and Dippenaar gave the Proteas some hope with a decent partnership. But once the partnership was broken there was no resistance from the South African lower order.

Graeme Smith was the first to go, as he edged an outswinging delivery from Hoggard to Strauss at 3rd slip. Mark Boucher soon followed him, spending just two balls in the middle. Giles then had Pollock bowled round his legs for 13, before James Anderson produced another one of his magic deliveries to rattle Dippenaar's stumps.

The end was near for Smith's men, and Anderson and Giles dint keep the England fans waiting for too long, as they dismissed Nel and Ntini respectively, both for ducks.

So at the end, a richly deserved and comprehensive win for Michael Vaughan's team as they enjoy a comfortable position in the series, and one which will be tough to throw away.

"We played well, and fully deserve this victory. We performed well right from day 1, and the best thing in this victory, is that, the entire team played well, and it was not just a few performances that won us the match. This according to me is great.", said the England captain.

graemesmith8hv.jpg

Graeme Smith scored 54 in the 2nd innings.

His opposite number, Graeme Smith congratulated England on a first class win, but said that his team had every chance to draw this series level.

"We were outplayed in every department and from the very beginning of this test match. We know we can play better than we have, and now it will be a real test of character for our boys, to bounce back from this position and level the series. I have full confidence in the team.", said Smith.

Both teams now head to Johannesburg for the fourth test, where a win for England will hand them the series.

Last edited:
barmyarmy said:
That is one massive 6. Why can I never do that? Assuming the Nel wicket was a yorker.

It wasnt a yorker, but looks like one from the angle in which the replay was saved. It was a overpitched delivery @ 88 mph.

4th Test - Johannesburg

MTN Castle Lager Test Series
South Africa vs England
4th Test
Johannesburg, South Africa

England leads series 2-0

A very warm welcome to everyone. We are in Johannesburg for the 4th test between South Africa and England in the MTN Castle Lager Test Series.

England are two up in the series, after a comprehensive innings win at Cape Town. A win here will hand England the series, which will be great achievement from Michael Vaughan and his men.

So lets get started with the match. First let us have a look at the pitch and conditions.

Well, we have overcast skies above us, and there is a good chance of rain. It is pretty hot and humid though, and it could be a very sticky and sweaty day.
As far as the pitch is concerned, it is pretty dry, with some assist form the slower and swing bowlers, as well as some help for the spinners, when the pitch dries up and cracks as the match progresses.

Attachments

• pitch.jpg
    pitch.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 66
The Toss: Graeme Smith won the toss, and surprisingly, he decided to bat first, despite having overcast conditions, which would help the bowlers. Maybe he is worried that the pitch might break open, and batting last on it, wouldnt be the best thing to do.

Teams: Despite that humiliating defeat at Cape Town, South Africa have named an unchanged side for this test.
When asked about this, the Proteas captain Graeme Smith has this to say:
"Well, we dint play well as a team in the previous match. No one was individually at fault. I have full confidence in my team, and I am pretty certain we will do well in this match".
England for the fourth match running, have kept the same side.

Attachments

• safrica.jpg
    safrica.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 66
  • england.jpg
    england.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 61
At Stumps on Day 1
South Africa (1st Innings) 375-6

G. Smith 122*(176) S. Harmison 3-53
J. Kallis 107(141) M. Hoggard 2-71
B. Dippenaar 32(55)

Highlights:

Hoggard finds the edge of Gibbs' bat, and the ball finds the safe hands of Andrew Strauss.

Hoggard strikes again to dismiss the dangerous Andrew Hall for just 12.

Kallis dispatches Giles for a huge six.

Yet another test hundred for the great allrounder.

Last edited:

The South African captain with a perfect cut shot for four.

The big man Harmison provides England with a massive breakthrough, dismissing Kallis.

Another classy shot from Smith, and another boundary.

The South African captain becomes the second centurian of the innings.

Boucher plays the ball onto his own stumps!

Last edited:
South Africa in commanding position
South Africa will definately be the happier of the two teams at the end of the first days play, scoring 375-6. This after losing both the openers, Gibbs and De Villiers early. The main highlights of the day were the two centurions, Kallis and Smith. Kallis scored a fine 107 before being dismissed LBW by Steve Harmison, while Smith is still unbeaten on 122. Boeta Dippenaar yet again gets out in the 30s, but I guess due to the fact that South Africa have batted well, Dippenaar wont feel that much of a pressure on him this time.

For England, Steve Harmison picked up three wickets, Hoggard two, and Anderson one.

South Africa will want to ensure they make good use of this good position that they are in, and not throw it away. A score of 500 is very much in the cards.

sascr4ep.jpg

sabat6ta.jpg

engbowl7oy.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Users who are viewing this thread