Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Take your time vaughun.You must be bored.

M Vaughan what an amazing story. I've just read the entire thread and not got bored once. It's like watching cricket!

Excellent story thread!

Excellent Sir (m_vaughan)!! May be I should get some valuable tips from you on writing stories!! Your story so far has been awesome!! Keep it up!! I am writing a story thread too and it is stalled in between due to some technical problems. In the meanwhile, I can get tips from you so that I can also stake claim for that Best Young Member/story Award that is now present with you!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Your feedbacks are very important for me. As far as tips are concerned, I dont think you can actually give any advice or tips. I've been writing stories for some time now, and have learned a lot in the process. It also comes to place with time. Slowly and steadily increase the difficulty of the patches, and dont get ****ed off with defeats/draws and times when the CPU dominates you for long periods.

Good advice their, ive not been writing for that long but have learned a lot about layout etc from just having a go, i always enjoy reading a good story, especially one as involving as this, keep up the good work Vaugnie.

MTN CASTLE LAGER TEST SERIES - 3rd Test - Cape Town

MTN CASTLE LAGER TEST SERIES
South Africa vs England
3rd Test
Cape Town, South Africa

England leads 5 match series 1-0

Hello and welcome to Cape Town for the 3rd Test between South Africa and England in the MTN CASTLE LAGER Test Series. England come here with a 1-0 lead, after winning the previous test at Durban. The pitch was the centre of attention in that test, as the match ended in under three days. Lets see how the pitch here at Cape Town is.

Well the pitch here is very hard, and hence once can expect a lot of bounce, especially in the first few days. We have clear skies, very much unlike what we had at Durban. You would definately want to win the toss and bowl first on this pitch and make most use of the bounce.

Okay, now lets see who won the toss.

South African captain Graeme Smith won the toss and elected to field first.

Attachments

• vac1.jpg
    vac1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 116
Now let us have a look at the two teams for this match. England are playing the same side that played in the first two games, while South Africa have made two changes. Out of form Jacques Rudolph and Charl Langeveldt have been replaced by Andrew Hall and Andre Nel respectively.

Attachments

• vac2.jpg
    vac2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 113
  • vac3.jpg
    vac3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 107
Day 1

At Stumps on Day 1
England (1st Innings) 313-2

M. Butcher 106*(259) N. Boje 1-19
M. Vaughan 101*(164) M. Ntini 1-72

Highlights

Attachments

• vac1.jpg
    vac1.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 103
Well it was definately England's day despite having lost the toss, and having being put in to bat first by Graeme Smith.

As expected there was a lot bounce generated by this hard Durban pitch, and infact there were so many high bouncers, that South Africa actually conceded 60 runs just in byes, and all of them were byes resulting in fours.

England lost Strauss early, trying to cut, only managing to edge a simple catch to Mark Boucher of Makhaya Ntini. Trescothick looked good in his innings of 33 before falling to the spin of Boje. But since then, it was only England and England. Mark Butcher, who many believe should be replaced by a younger player like Bell, Collingwood or Pieterson, was under a lot of pressure to score runs. And he did just that. A fine hundred to silence his critics and justify his selection in the England side, and whats more, he was unbeaten on 106 at the end of the days play. He was more than well supported by his captain Michael Vaughan, who himself was unbeaten on 101 at stumps.

South Africa suffered a big blow early on when Andre Nel injured himself while fielding and was out of action for most of the day. He only managed to return during the final session of play and managed to bowl just five overs in the day.

So England definately have the upper hand at the end of day 1 but can they keep it going on day 2. Join us tomorrow for all the action from this third test between South Africa and England in the MTN CASTLE LAGER Test Series.

Attachments

• vac2.jpg
    vac2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Good centurys from both Vaughan and Butcher, its nice to see Vaughan returning to form.

S_Harmison said:
Good centurys from both Vaughan and Butcher, its nice to see Vaughan returning to form.

Yes Vaughan did not do well in the 2nd test, but again, very few batsman played well in that test.

Vaughan if u remember scored a hundred in both innings in the 1st test, so this is one is his 3rd century in five innings.

Butcher and Vaughan put England on top

Butcher and Vaughan put England on top

wallongong6vy.png

Butcher and Vaughan star for England on day 1

A 237 run unbeaten partnership for the 2nd wicket between Mark Butcher and Michael Vaughan has put England in a good position after the first days play in the 3rd test against South Africa.

Having won the toss, Graeme Smith put England in to bat first on a hard and bouncy Durban wicket. Makhaya Ntini made good use of the bounce, dismissing Andrew Strauss early on for just 6. Trescothick and Butcher then were involved in a small partnership, but just when it looked good for England, Boje came in and got the wicket of Trescothick.

But that was more of a blessing in disguise for England, as since then they took total control of the game. Slowly but steadily, Mark Butcher and Michael Vaughan piled on the runs and frustated the South African bowlers. To add insult to injury, Graeme Smith was not able to use Andre Nel for most of the game, as the latter suffered a injury while fielding.

Both Butcher (106) and Vaughan(101) ended up with unbeaten centuries at stumps. For Butcher this of prime importance, as he was under a lot of pressure to score runs, due to the emergence of promising youngsters like Bell, Key, Pieterson and Collingwood.

"Its a great feeling for me having scored this hundred. Ive not had the best of times in recent matches, and now with all the competition for places in the England side, it is very important for every player to perform.", said Butcher.

Many critics have called for Butcher and Thorpe to retire and make way for youngsters like Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pieterson and Robert Key.

Speaking on this matter, the Surrey batsman added:"Its great to see so many options for the England selectors, which was not the case a few years back. This can only improve the team, and force the players to perform well in all matches and take absolutely nothing for granted. But I think myself and Thorpie have a lot of experience, and in test matches, experience is as important as young talent. It is very important that we maintain a balance between the two. And at this moment I think the balance of the side is close to perfect, if not perfect."

Last edited:
Planetcricket bags rights for video files of England matches

Planetcricket have won the rights to publish and post video files from matches involving England. This means starting from day 3 of the 3rd test between South Africa and England, I will be posting one video file per day.

At Stumps on Day 2
South Africa (1st Innings) 84-2

A. Hall 43*(51) S. Harmison 2-24
H. Gibbs 12(28)

England (1st Innings) 561-8 declared
M. Butcher 194(446) M. Ntini 3-111
M. Vaughan 126(212) A. Nel 2-54
M. Trescothick 33(71)

South Africa trail by 477 runs, 278 runs to avoid a follow on

Highlights

Attachments

• vac1.jpg
    vac1.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 74
  • vac2.jpg
    vac2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Despite some aggressive batting by the Proteas, England will still be the happier of the two teams at the end of the 2nd days play in this 3rd MTN Castle Lager Test. Resuming on 313-2, Vaughan and Butcher carried on from where they had left on day 1. Vaughan scored a fine 126 before being trapped LBW by Jacques Kallis. Graham Thorpe then played an effective role in supporting Butcher in the middle, but only managed to score 21, before missing a straight full pitched delivery from Andrew Hall. Thorpe has had a pretty disappointing tour so far, and could feel the pressure, if does not score runs soon. Following the departure of Thorpe, Flintoff and Butcher started to play more aggressively and try and increase the run rate. Flintoff played some superb shots, but perished soon, scoring 32 off just 27 balls. Jones spent some time in the middle, while Giles came and went. On the other side, Butcher was closing in on a double century. Butcher played almost every shot in the book, and frustated the South African bowlers. Finally a superb slower ball from Andre Nel, which Butcher failed to pick, proved to be the breakthrough ball. Butcher failed to pick the slower ball, and ended up skying it, and Kallis made no mistakes in taking the catch. Hoggard played some aggressive shots in his short innings, and hit the only six of the England innings. He was actually unbeaten when Vaughan declared the England innings at 561-8.

Attachments

• vac3.jpg
    vac3.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread