Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Good Work Mick. Will you be changing the weather at all during this game?
Looks liky you have yourself into a good position, to get a nice 1st innings lead.

The_gas said:
Good Work Mick. Will you be changing the weather at all during this game?
Looks liky you have yourself into a good position, to get a nice 1st innings lead.

I will be changing the weather (as I always have been.)

trinidevil69 said:
one question.... how r yu managing to bowl down so many of the comp batsmen....all my wickets r ct and lbw

Well I think the trick here is the variation in the pace. A fast bouncer should be followed by a slow yorker.

At Stumps on Day 2
South Africa (2nd Innings) 119 all out

H. Gibbs 34(61) M. Hoggard 4-25
G. Smith 25(65) S. Harmison 3-19

England (1st Innings) 191 all out
M. Trescothick 100(175) J. Kallis 5-34
A. Strauss 28(58) N. Boje 2-12

South Africa (1st Innings) 211 all out
G. Smith 45(99) M. Hoggard 7-76
H. Gibbs 43(103) A. Flintoff 2-43
B. Dippenaar 30(52)

England need 140 runs to win

Highlights

Attachments

• va1.jpg
    va1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 102
  • va2.jpg
    va2.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 96
On Day 2 we again had overcast skies and every chance of rain. England resumed their innings,
with the score at 33-0. England got off to a good start with Trescothick and Strauss building
up a good partnership. However once the wickets started falling, England failed to get any useful partnerships
going, and noone was able to stick in the middle for much time. England at the end were bowled out for 191, 20 runs
behind SA's 1st Innings score of 211.

England Bowlers' however well compensated for their poor batting display, dismissing South
Africa for just 119, with Hoggard picking up 4 wickets, and Harmison 3. For South Africa,
once again it was Gibbs and Smith who top scored with 34 and 25 respectively.

England now just need 140 runs to win and three full days left. However, this pitch is proving
to be a nightmare for the batsman, so England must not take anything for granted.

Attachments

• va3.jpg
    va3.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 89
Sounds like batting can be a real struggle with that patch!

I like the number of LBWs and Bowleds though.

End of Match (1:14 PM, Day 3)
England (2nd Innings) 141-6

A. Strauss 58*(74) C. Langeveldt 3-28
M. Butcher 17(40)

South Africa (2nd Innings) 119 all out
H. Gibbs 34(61) M. Hoggard 4-25
G. Smith 25(65) S. Harmison 3-19

England (1st Innings) 191 all out
M. Trescothick 100(175) J. Kallis 5-34
A. Strauss 28(58) N. Boje 2-12

South Africa (1st Innings) 211 all out
G. Smith 45(99) M. Hoggard 7-76
H. Gibbs 43(103) A. Flintoff 2-43
B. Dippenaar 30(52)

England win by 4 wickets
England lead series 1-0 (3 matches left)

Man of the Match: Matthew Hoggard

It was definately not a comfortable victory for England, as they lost six wickets in their way to score the 140 they needed to win the test match. But a win is a win, and we have to give credit to Vaughan and his boys for bouncing back they way they did after being bowled out for 191 in the 1st innings. South Africa on the other hand will be very disappointed with their performance.

The next match is at Cape Town, and England will go there with a comforting 1-0 lead. A win there would give England an unbeatable 2-0 lead, while South Africa will be looking to level the series.

Highlights and Stats

Attachments

• va4.jpg
    va4.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 78
  • va5.jpg
    va5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Both teams criticise Durban pitch

bounce8zm.jpg

The Durban wicket was a nightmare for the batsman

Both South Africa and England have been highly critical about the pitch at Durban, after the 2nd test match between the two teams got over in under 3 days. The average score per team per inning in the test match was as low as 165, and only South Africa in their 1st innings managed to score above 200.

"The wicket was very fast, with variable and at times pretty dangerous bounce. Suddenly the ball would rise and come right at your face, without you having any time to adjust. Its a shame for us to have prepared such a pitch for a test match as important as this.", said South African captain Graeme Smith.

His opposite number too expressed his disappointment over the pitch.

"Apart from maybe the first day and the morning session on the second day, it was a horrible turf for batting. One of the worst wickets that I have played on, and I just hope we dont see anything like it again in the remaining matches. Its really sad to see a test match between two big teams, get over on just the 3rd day.", said Vaughan.

Even the ICC has been reported to have expressed concern about the pitch to the UCB, and has asked the latter to ensure that nothing like this repeated again.

England, who won that test match by 4 wickets at the end, have a 1-0 lead in the 5 match series. The third test will be held at Cape Town.

A good battling win there by the England boys, the pitch sounded a bit tough to bat and bowl on, very realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread