Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Ian Botham: Welcome back. Lets now have a look at the pitch for today. And I am sorry to say this, but it is not at all impressive. Its still pretty wet out here, and the pitch is also pretty soggy despite all the covers. Though I must agree its a lot better than what it was about an hour back when we had pools of water all over the ground.

Now as we take a close look at the pitch, just notice how soft the ground is, which means low and unpredictable bounce. The moist conditions will favour the swing bowlers no doubt. So all in all a tough time for the batsmen.

Whats your opinion, Bob?

Bob Willis: The same as yours Ian. I dont think its ideal conditons for cricket, but thats what happens when we have a heavy shower overnight. Will be tough playing, and lets just hope it doesnt rain anymore.

Ian Botham: Well its a very dull day as you can see and there is a good chance of rain. Lets hope for the sake of cricket, that it doesnt rain today.
Now its back to the studio with David and company.

Attachments

• new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 68
David Gower: Welcome back. Well the players are walking onto the field so lets have a quick look at the two teams' lineups for today's match.

Attachments

• new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 66
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 51
Harmison picks up two wickets - but SA fight back well

Match update- The umpires have called for drinks, as South Africa reach 77-2 after 15 overs.

This match is a 35 over a side match caused due a rain delay.
Each bowler will be allowed a maximum of 7 overs.

South Africa 77-2 (15 Overs)
H. Gibbs 43*(45) S. Harmison 2-16
A. Bacher 25*(44)

Current Run Rate: 5.13

David Gower: Well the players are having drinks at the moment so lets just go through the first 15 overs.

Well South Africa lost an early wicket, that of captain Graeme Smith for 2. He was caught by Ian Bell off Steve Harmison.

Steve Harmison then had Jacques Kallis out bowled in the very next ball. South Africa at this stage were 15-2, and it was clearly visible how tough it was for the batsmen to play.

Nasser Hussain: Absolutely David. England got off to a great start picking up those two wickets. But we always knew it was going to a day for the bowlers today as the pitch, outfield and conditions all were in favour of the bowlers.
But since those two wickets have fallen, South Africa have batted brilliantly. Once again Herschelle Gibbs proves to be main troublemaker for England. He has already scored 42, and I think from England's point of view, it is absolutely necessary that they get rid off him as soon as possible.

David Gower: Yes Nasser. I think Gibbs and Bacher are really playing well, and a score of 77-2 on a wicket like this is really amazing. Gibbs has been aggressive from the very first ball going after all the bowlers.
Well the drinks car is going off the field and we are ready for play to start.
Its Alex Wharf bowling to Herschelle Gibbs.

Attachments

• new6.jpg
    new6.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 97
  • new7.jpg
    new7.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 95
  • new8.jpg
    new8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
Well i dont know what has happened to this Eng team rocked throught the test series, now really finding it hard, I think this a big tour and it has drained them completely.

I think the one thing missing is a inspirational innings from the captain himself, Mr.Vaughnie time to pull up ur socks

Rain interrupts play!

David Gower: Rain has interrupted the 4th ODI between South Africa and England. We already had a delayed start due to an overnight shower, losing about 2 hours of play. So we dont know how much more time will be lost due to this current rain.

Nasser Hussain: Well it is raining heavily at the moment. Lets just hope it doesnt rain for long, and that we dont lose too much time for the match to be called off. South Africa were really playing well despite playing on pretty pathetic conditions.

Ian Botham: Well its not the best conditions to play in, and I guess it will be even worse after this rain, which shows no sign of stopping at the moment.

David Gower: Well the news from the middle is that there will be a pitch inspection after the rain has stopped, and a decision will only be made after that.

Attachments

• raincricket.jpg
    raincricket.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 87
  • raine.bmp
    45.4 KB · Views: 45
  • sarain.jpg
    sarain.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 83
Match abandoned

Cape Town One Day International has been abandoned due to rain

South Africa 85-2 (17 Overs)
H. Gibbs 45*(51) S. Harmison 2-16
A. Bacher 28*(52)

Match abandoned
South Africa lead 7 match series 2-0 (3 remaining)

David Gower: So there we have it. The match has officially been called off. Its already 2.30, and its still raining outside. As per the regulations of the ICC, we must have atleast 20 overs per side for the match to be considered as an official match. Disappointing isnt it David?

David Lyold: Very disappointing. This is an important match for both teams, and it was nicely poised. But the rain decided to play spoilsport.

David Gower: Well we did have some play today after a delayed start which reduced the match to a 35 overs per side. South Africa lost two early wickets, thanks to a fiery first spell by Steve Harmison. But then Herschelle Gibbs and Adam Bacher put South Africa in top with a 70 run partnership. Gibbs was unbeaten on 45 and Bacher on 28, before the rains came again, and stopped play for the last and final time.

Lets have a look at the stats for today.
ihnp-349836.jpg

ihnp-349849.jpg

ihnp-349862.jpg

Well the good point, David, for England is Harmison back picking up wickets.

David Lyold: Oh definately. It was a strange that a man who has picked up 30 wickets in the 5 test match series, had got just one wicket in the 3 one day international matches that immediately followed the test series. But today Harmison bowled brilliantly, infact he was the only England bowler who bowled well, and I guess deserves those two wickets.

David Gower: Yes Indeed David, he surely was looking fit today.
Anyways thats all we have today from here at Cape Town. Unfortunately the match has been called off due to rain.
There are now three matches left in this series, with South Africa in a really healthy 2-0 lead. Another win will hand the home side this series.
Dont forget to join us for the fifth ODI between South Africa and England in this Standard Bank One Day Internationals Series, LIVE from East London. That will be a day and night match.
Till then on behalf of the entire Sky Sports crew here in Cape Town, its goodbye!

Would be interesting to see England's gameplay from now on.

I wish England tries to gain some confidence from somewere or else, this series is slipping out of their hands!! The SA batsmen are in great form. As Sriram (The_Champ) said, the captain Vaughan needs to inspire the team!!!

Fantastic series! Amazing to have a tie...and the now the rain! Thanks for the great pics and story.

Keep it up SA!!!

Users who are viewing this thread