Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Go SA! We need a series win! :happy

I must say although you are close to loosing a third match, this is much better than seeing all the crushing wins against the CPU. I'm not great at the game and loose from time to time, but I think it makes everything more enjoyable if every game is not a total walk-over.

Johann said:
Go SA! We need a series win! :happy

I must say although you are close to loosing a third match, this is much better than seeing all the crushing wins against the CPU. I'm not great at the game and loose from time to time, but I think it makes everything more enjoyable if every game is not a total walk-over.

Agree with you on this!! I love to see matches where the CPU gives the human players a run for their money!

Well thanks for all your comments, especially Johann, The Champ, and sai.

I have just completed the match, but I wont disclose the result just as yet, in order to maintain the suspense!

Match ends in a tie!!

England 323-8 (50 Overs)
K. Pieterson 104*(79) N. Boje 3-70
M. Trescothick 89(87) M. Ntini 2-45

South Africa 323-6 (50 Overs)
H. Gibbs 107(140) P. Collingwood 2-49
J. Kemp 79*(51) J. Anderson 2-50
A. Bacher 42(42)

Match Tied
South Africa lead 7 match series 2-0, 4 remaining.

Man of the Match: Justin Kemp (SAF)

David Gower: What a match. Who would have predicted this?? Both teams tied up at
323!

Geoff Boycott: I have to say that I aint seen anything like this in my life. This
was simply awesome stuff. What a superb batting performance by Kevin Pieterson. For a person
just into international cricket, it was fantastic.

David Gower: Absolutely. Well I still cant believe this has actually happened. It was
a sensational run chase that almost clicked. As Geoffery said a fine performance from Kevin
Pieterson. But also a very important innings at the end from Ashley Giles that probably took
England so close to victory. Then there was Trescothick's 89 at the top, which set the base for
that late charge to happen. What do you think Ian?

Ian Botham: Well fantastic stuff, David. I have to say I havent seen anything like this
before. Pieterson's innings was an absolute gem, I absolutely loved it. He looks a good prospect
for England. As for South Africa, I think Kemp is really proving to be a quality allrounder.
Both Kemp and Pieterson are very similar, though I think Kemp is a better bowler while
Pieterson has the edge in batting.

ihnp-347299.jpg

ihnp-347301.jpg

ihnp-347304.jpg

ihnp-347307.jpg

ihnp-347309.jpg

I think this is amazing since in the actual ODI series between these two teams, there was one tied game!!. Remember the heroics of Kabir Ali in the 2nd ODI???

David Gower: Well lets now have a look at the stats.

ihnp-347311.jpg

ihnp-347314.jpg

ihnp-347315.jpg

ihnp-347319.jpg

ihnp-347326.jpg

Ian Botham: Good bowling by Ntini. He got the early breakthroughs and maintained a tight line throughout. Pollock on the other hand was disappointing.
For England, Kevin Pieterson played a brilliant innings. Also Trescothick's 89 set the
platform early on.

David Gower: Yes Ian, and also from the worm you can see how close this match throughout. England obviously lost more wickets, and hence it was looking difficult from them. But otherwise the worms just seem to coincide. Superb stuff!!

Well we'll take a short break now, but do stay with us for the match presentation with
Michael Holding.

Absolutely terrific result!! I knew the game would be really close but not this close to be a tie!!

Brilliant batting from England. Congrats m_vaughan! Fabulous read!!

David Gower: Welcome back. Lets now head to the ground for the presentation with Sky Sport's Michael Holding.

Michael Holding: Thank you David and a warm welcome to all the viewers for the match presentation ceremony. Well first of all a big vote of thanks to all the fans who came here to watch this game, you guys were really awesome today.

I would also like to thank today's awarding commitee.

Without any furthur delay, lets start with the presentation. First I would like to call up the visiting team captain, Michael Vaughan.

How do you feel Michael after that game?

Michael Vaughan: Cant be expressed in words, Mike. It was one of those games you can keep watching again and again.

Michael Holding: But you really could have won this game. Are you disappointed you couldnt pull of a win?

Michael Vaughan: Yes, but I guess if you had given the option of drawing the match at the start of the innings, then I would have taken it. To score 323, batting second under lights, is really difficult, but we've managed to do it. Well played by the lads.

Michael Holding: What about Pieterson's century?

Michael Vaughan: One word, Brilliant. For a newbie in international cricket, this was just awesome. The way he paced his innings is really praiseworthy. But it wasnt just him. Trescothick played well, then Giles at the end was involved in a crucial partnership with Kev. Probably a bit disappointed with the fact some of the batsmen got off to good starts but then got dismissed in the 20s. Something we can work upon for the remaining matches.

Michael Holding: Thanks, Michael and good luck for the rest of the series.

Michael Vaughan: Cheers mate.

Michael Holding: Now the home side captain, Graeme Smith.

Graeme, not a bad game of cricket, eh?

Graeme Smith: No it was a classic match. One for the record books. But I think we had a good chance to win this one. We had them down to 180-5 at one stage, but we could not contain them, as they had a healthy run rate throughout the innings.

Michael Holding: But I guess you must be happy with the perfomances of Kemp and Gibbs.

Graeme Smith: Yes, both of them played well. But I think the entire team, once again played well as a whole. Adam Bacher batted well and was involved in a crucial partnership with Gibbs.

Michael Holding: Thanks a lot Graeme and best of luck for the rest of the series.

Well now its time for the man of the match.
A lot of contenders. Gibbs, Kemp, Bacher, Ntini, and Boje for South Africa. While Pieterson, Trescothick and Giles for England.

But at the end the commentators of Sky Sports have gone for Justin Kemp for his allround perfomance.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a warm applause for Justin Kemp of South Africa.

Justin, congratulations. Satisfied with your performances for South Africa in this series?

Justin Kemp: Yes very much. I have had a good time in all three matches so far. Ive batted well, but I guess I can improve on my bowling and pick up more wickets as well as concede less runs.

Michael Holding: What about today's match? Your innings of 79 was as good as Pieterson's 104, and it came at similar times in the innings.

Justin Kemp: Yup I was happy to have been there till the end. It always a good feeling to be there till the end. But I must say Pieterson's innings was superb. The way he batted was mind blowing. Its very difficult to bat when you are chasing, but he seemed so confident and batted really well.

Michael Holding: Thanks a lot Justin. Please collect your award and thats all we have from the presentation ceremony. Its back to the studio with David and the rest.

David Gower: Thanks Michael. So that was the match presentation.
Well thats brings us to the end of this broadcast. Hope you have enjoyed this match. Be sure to join us for the fourth ODI in this Standard Bank Series between these two sides, LIVE from Cape Town.
Till then on behalf of me and the rest of the team, its goodbye.

saisrini80 said:
Absolutely terrific result!! I knew the game would be really close but not this close to be a tie!!

Brilliant batting from England. Congrats m_vaughan! Fabulous read!!

Well the last 10 overs were so nerve racking, I couldnt stop the game and post updates. It was really very exciting to play. But I must say the CPU had pretty ordinary field settings in the final 10 overs. Something that I am going to work upon using the Field Editor.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! What a match and what an innings by pietorson.

Great Game of Cricket.

Well one more things guys well this my 500th post in just over 2 month and 3 days and I was wishing that I should post it in a good one.

And what a match i am posting it in a tied one. vey happy indeed

Thanks all members of planet cricket for their encouragement.

England in tie with South Africa

England in tie with South Africa

trescrop41919ta.jpg

Trescothick's 89 set the base for England's late run blitz

England hit 85 runs off the last 10 overs to tie with South Africa in the 3rd ODI.

Andrew Hall bowled the final over with nine needed, but a four from Harmison and four singles saw England score eight and hence tie the match.

Kevin Pietersen hit his maiden century but his team were on the backfoot for most of the match.

40811931kempgetty3008dh.jpg

Kemp hit seven sixes in his innings of 79

Herschelle Gibbs (78) and Adam Bacher (42) shared a partnership of 109 earlier on, while Justin Kemp smashed an unbeaten 79 from 51 balls, to take South Africa to an impressive 323-6.

For England, Collingwood, Anderson and Giles each picked up two wickets, while Wharf once again was the most economical bowler.

pietersencrop42632be.jpg

Pieterson scored his maiden one day century in just his 7th appearance.

For England Trescothick got back to form in style with a witty 89. However the star of the show for England was Kevin Pieterson with his unbeaten 104 that took England from the jaws of defeat to a sensational tie with South Africa.

South Africa's Justin Kemp who also picked up two wickets, was declared Man of the Match

The result, only England's third ever tie, means South Africa dont get a 3-0 lead in the 7 match series.

The next match will be held at Cape Town day after tomorrow.

The Champ said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! What a match and what an innings by pietorson.

Great Game of Cricket.

Well one more things guys well this my 500th post in just over 2 month and 3 days and I was wishing that I should post it in a good one.

And what a match i am posting it in a tied one. vey happy indeed

Thanks all members of planet cricket for their encouragement.

Congratulations on your 500th post!

--------------------------------------------------
Rain delays start of play

The 4th ODI between South Africa and England has been delayed due to rain. There will a pitch inspection at 11.30 AM South Africa time, and we hope the match starts soon after.

choppercrop42584ve.jpg

All attempts being made to dry up the ground quickly

The Champ said:
Well to me looks really grey Vaughnie. What does the weather report really says?
Overcast conditions with a good chance of rain again.

Pitch Inspection at 11.30AM

David Gower: Welcome back. Lets now head to the ground where our commentator Ian Botham has both the umpires with him.

Ian Botham: Thanks David. I have with me the two umpires for today's match, Steve Bucknor of the West Indies, and Billy Bowden of New Zealand.

Now gentlemen, what have you concluded from your pitch inspection?

Steve Bucknor: Well Ian, its still pretty wet out here. There are some puddles present in one part of the ground, and plus the area near the pitch also looks pretty wet to me. However I have spoken to the groundsman, he expects the ground will dry up in another 40-45 mins time. So we will have another inspection at 12.15 PM, thats about 25 mins from now.

Ian Botham: So if you find the conditions alright then, how much time will it take to get the game started?

Billy Bowden: It will take about 10-15 minutes. Not more than 15, definately.

Ian Botham: And how many overs can we expect then?

Billy Bowden: Not too sure about that. But I would guess we'll have something around 35 overs per side. We need a minimum of 20 overs per side for it to be considered an official match.

Ian Botham: Thanks a lot gentlemen. So there we have, the umpires are going to have another inspection in about 20 mins time. I must say however that is pretty cloudy, and there is a cool breeze blowing. Not the best day for cricket, surely.

We'll take a break now. Join us for the next update.

Attachments

• _1808754_rain150.jpg
    _1808754_rain150.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 38
  • scgrain.jpg
    scgrain.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 46
  • umpiresgetty.jpg
    umpiresgetty.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Pitch Inspection at 12.15 PM
David Gower: Welcome back. Well the umpires have had a second inspection, and they are satisfied with the conditions, and play will start in 10 minutes time. So thats good news for all of us. I must say that the ground has dried up pretty quickly, and one must appreciate the efforts of the ground personnels.
Well in the mean time lets see who won the coin toss for today's game.
Michael Holding is with both the captains.
Michael Holding: Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. We are ready for the toss for today's match. I have with me the two captains, Graeme Smith of South Africa and Michael Vaughan of England. Also present with us is the match referee, Ranjan Madugalle of Sri Lanka.
Michael is going to call, so Graeme if you can toss the coin.........................................Michael has called tails and tails it is.
So Michael, what is your decision?
Michael Vaughan: We are going to bowl first.
Michael Holding: The reason for that?
Michael Vaughan: Well, Mike its a damp wicket. Plus there is a lot of moisture in the air, and conditions are ideal for swing. Hence it will be easier to pick up wickets early on. I guess batting will be easier in the second innings, though, I dont think conditions are ideal for batting.
Micheal Holding: What about your team?
Michael Vaughan: Yeah we have one change. Ian Bell comes in for Vikram Solanki. Ian will be opening the batting with Marcus.
Michael Holding: Thanks very much, and all the best, Michael.
Michael Vaughan: Cheers Mike.
(In the mean time Ian Botham is with Graeme Smith)
Ian Botham: Well Graeme. Happy batting first on this wicket?
Graeme Smith: Not really. I think batting first on this wicket will be difficult. But since we are going to have a reduced overs game, I dont think it will make that much of a difference.
Ian Botham: Exactly. Now tell me how has your team being doing after that thrilling tied game in Port Elizabeth.
Graeme Smith: Yeah, we were a bit disappointed. But we feel we are still the driving force in this series. A win here will give us an unbeatable lead and put us in pole position for taking the series. But we must not show any complacency.
Ian Botham: Yes indeed. Any changes to your team?
Graeme Smith: Yes Ian. Dippenaar will be playing today in place of Ashwel Prince.
Ian Botham: Very well and all the best for the match, Graeme.
Graeme Smith: Yup, thanks.
(back to the studio)
David Gower: So England have won the all important toss and have elected to field first. Now Geoff how do you think that will help England.
Geoff Boycott: If the England bowlers can make use of the conditions, than definately they will be able to pick up wickets as the conditions is ideal of swing bowling. I think England should have played Matthew Hoggard today as he does well in conditions like these.
David Gower: Well as you see outside, its still pretty cloudy and rains are expected throughout the day. But lets hope we dont get any interruptions. We'll take a break now. After the break Ian Botham and Bob Willis will be doing the pitch report.

Attachments

• new0.jpg
    new0.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
  • new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 44
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread