Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
ihnp-344121.jpg

ihnp-344125.jpg

ihnp-344143.jpg

ihnp-344128.jpg

Last edited:
A superb batting performance by the home side, putting up a mammoth 323 on the board, and making it very difficult for the England bowlers throughout the innings.

James Anderson, who came in for Darren Gough in this match, picked up two wickets, but went for 50 runs in the process from his 10 overs. Steve Harmison had another disappointing game ending with figures of 0-60 from 10 overs.
Giles and Collingwood each picked up 2 wickets.

For South Africa, the top performer was Herschelle Gibbs with his fantasic knock of 107. But Justin Kemp also played a blinder of an innings scoring 79 in just 51 balls, hitting 7 sixes. Adam Bacher scored 42, and was involved in a important partnership for the 2nd wicket with Herschelle Gibbs.

England now need to score 324 from 50 overs to win this match, and failing to do so will see the hosts claim a 3-0 lead in the 7 match series. It is very difficult, but nothing can be said or predicted in the sport of cricket.

Join us for England's runchase in about 45 mins time
ihnp-344133.jpg

ihnp-344134.jpg

ihnp-344145.jpg

ihnp-344150.jpg

ihnp-344158.jpg

I didn't think SA would be able to keep up the high level of play, but it seems they are really on a role. Good luck with the chase!

Seems you've got the best SA ODI team lined up now...? Hall and Kemp both in the team seems to make them really strong.

The Champ said:
Wow what a performance by SA well Eng bowlers hit out of the park by Gibbs.

Well match winnings century from SA no1 opener

Yes very much mate. Another superb performance from Gibbs.
Gibbs was the highest run scorer in the test series scoring a total of 545 runs at an average of 54.5!!. His highest score was a massive 189 in the 1st test at Port Elizabeth(this very ground!!).
And now his form is continued in the ODIs with scores of 73, 14 and 107 in the first three ODIs!!

For more details on the overall stats of the test series (like highest run scorer, best bowling, most wicket,etc....check out page 21 of this thread.)

Johann said:
I didn't think SA would be able to keep up the high level of play, but it seems they are really on a role. Good luck with the chase!

Seems you've got the best SA ODI team lined up now...? Hall and Kemp both in the team seems to make them really strong.

Yup they surely are on a role at the moment. Good batting, good bowling and really dominating England in every field. Good comeback after that humiliating 4-0 defeat in the test series.

Also the fact that the likes of Kemp, Bacher and Hall have been performing well for the proteas, as strengthened the look of the team. You now have batting till no.10 with Hall coming in at the position. Also many bowling options for Smith with Pollock, Ntini, Hall, Boje, Kemp, Kallis, Bacher & Smith himself all capable of bowling.

Scoring 324 is very unlikely, but I am gonna give it my best shot!

nightprowler10 said:
Wow!!!
Looks like SAF will take this series. England need to play very sensibly and not lose any early wickets.

Thanks for the advice. and I wouldnt be too surprised if SA do take the series. They are really playing well at the moment. Has been a totally different story in tests and ODIs.

Last edited:
kemp batting was fantastic, i hope you will ulled a good fight as your team is going 2 down in a serries hope they can also bounce back

Eventhough Eng will give a fight back i think they can start preparing mentally for the next match. Sorry to say this Vaughnie but SA have played better, But still anything can happen lets wait and watch.

Duncan Fletcher Interview
ihnp-344386.jpg

David Gower: Well as the players take a break at the end of the South African innings, we managed to catch up with England coach Duncan Fletcher and South African coach Ray Jennings. Now lets head to the middle where Paul Allot is present with both the coaches.

Paul Allot: Thanks a lot David. Hello to all our viewers. I have with me here, Duncan Fletcher and Ray Jennings. Good evening to you both and thanks a lot for doing this.

(Both- No problem.)

Paul Allot: Okay first I have a question for you Fletch. Where do you think the England bowlers went wrong today?

Duncan Fletcher: To be honest, it just was one of those days went nothing went our way. All my bowlers tried their best, as they always do, giving a 100%. But full credit to the South African batsmen, especially Gibbs, Bacher and Kemp, who I think played really well.

Paul Allot: Ray, you must be really pleased with the batting performance of your team.

Ray Jennings: Oh yes definately. I mean scoring 323 in a one day match against a quality side like England, is a great achievement for my team. They have worked hard, played well, and fully deserve to be in this healthy position. But we must not become complacent. We still have to win this match, and the series. So until all this is done, we have to continue working hard.

Paul Allot: Fletch, you really have an uphill task not only winning this match, but also preventing South Africa from winning the series. What will you tell your players before they begin the runchase today?

Darren Fletcher: Just play your natural game. Give your best, and I am very sure that at the end, results will come our way. Like Ray said, the series is still on, and both teams are gonna continue giving their best till the very last match. My players are special, and they are capable of winning matches from the worst situation possible.

Paul Allot: Well Ray, you must be really pleased with the performances of Justin Kemp, Andrew Hall and Adam Bacher?

Ray Jennings: Yes very much Paul. Kemp and Hall are all good allrounders who give us depth in batting as well as bowling. Allrounders are very important in one day international cricket. In Hall, Kemp, Kallis, Pollock and Boje we have five quality allrounders. Also the likes of Adam Bacher and Graeme Smith are more than capable of rolling their arms and supporting the main bowlers whenever needed. At the moment, its a perfectly fit jigsaw for South Africa.

Paul Allot: Well thanks a lot for doing this small interview gentlemen. So thats it from the middle. Back to studio.

David Gower: Thanks Paul. So that was Paul Allot with both the coaches. We will take a break now. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
It wasnt one of those days Mr.Fletcher, i think for last 2 matches i think u havent done ur home work buddy, i think this is going to be the third such match mate.

But still expecting miracles from ENG though

England lose Solanki

Match update - Solanki dismissed by Ntini in the vert first over.

England 1-1 (1 Over)
M. Trescothick 1*(3) M. Ntini 1-1
M. Vaughan 0*(2)
V. Solanki 0(1)

England need another 323 runs to win from 49 overs
(Reqd. RR - 6.59, Current RR - 1.00)

David Gower: Well the hopes of a miracle comeback by England have got a big setback with Ntini dismissing Solanki in the very first over. A fine delivery inducing an edge off Solanki's bat on its way to the keeper.

Nasser Hussain: England will be very disappointed with that start to their innings. Its already getting harder and harder for England. Let see if the captain Vaughan who is in now can instil any confidence into this England side.

ihnp-344542.jpg

ihnp-344553.jpg

England reach 20-1 after 5 overs.

Match update- England reach 20-1 after 5 overs.

England 20-1 (5 Overs)
M. Vaughan 10*(10) M. Ntini 3-8
M. Trescothick 10*(19)

England need another 304 runs to win from 45 overs
(Reqd. RR- 6.75, Current RR- 4.00)

David Gower: Michael Vaughan has looked positive since he arrived at the crease, scoring two fours off a Shaun Pollock over. This definately had reduced the pressure on the England batsmen.

Nasser Hussain: Yeah definately, David. Two superb shots from Vaughan and Trescothick also then playing a nice leg glance to pick up his first boundary. But still a lot of work to do if England still think they can chase this mammoth target.

ihnp-344641.jpg

Thanks Champ your comments. I am playing the game at the moment and posting regular updates.

10 overs up - England 45-1

Match update- England reach 45-1 after 10 overs.

England 45-1 (10 Overs)
M. Vaughan 24*(25) M. Ntini 1-16
M. Trescothick 21*(34)

England need another 279 runs to win from 40 overs
(Reqd. RR- 6.98 Current RR- 4.50)

Michael Holding: Well England have reached 45-1 after 10 overs, still way behind the run rate required. But considering the start they had I think its been a sensible performance by them uptil now. But now I guess they will have to have start thinking about the required run rate also. What do you think Bob?

Bob Willis: Absolutely Michael. The required run rate has already reached 7, and you would not want it to increase too much. But the good thing for England is that boundaries seem to be coming pretty easily. Michael Vaughan has scored 4 boundaries, while Trescothick has scored 2. Maybe the aggressive field settings applied by Smith to pressurise the England batsmen isnt quite working for them at the moment.

Michael Holding: Yes Bob. But I am sure Smith will be pretty happy with the proceedings uptil now. He also introduced Jacques Kallis into the attack replacing Shaun Pollock who has conceded 25 runs in his 4 overs.

Bob Willis: Well Shaun has conceded quite a few runs, so I guess thats a good decision by Smith. Kallis being brought in before Hall was a surprise though as Hall has done very well for South Africa in the previous two games, getting early as well as vital breakthroughs.

ihnp-344714.jpg

ihnp-344727.jpg

Last edited:
Vaughan is out!

Match update- England lose the wicket of captain Vaughan in the 13th over.

England 63-2 (13 Overs)
M. Trescothick 36*(42) M. Ntini 2-25
A. Strauss 0*(5)
M. Vaughan 27(30)

England need another 261 runs to win from 37 overs
(Reqd. RR- 7.05, Current RR- 4.84)

Michael Holding: And just when things were starting to look good for England, and it seemed they might just be able to make a match out of this contest, Vaughan was bowled by a superb delivery from Mkhaya Ntini. How big a setback is that for England, Bob?

Bob Willis: Big blow Michael. Vaughan was looking good and positive, and I am sure South Africa will be very happy to have got rid off him.

Michael Holding: So how do you rate England's chances now?

Bob Willis: Well it was difficult from the very beginning, and now after having lost two wickets, and an increasing required run rate, its becoming even more harder for England. But Trescothick has done well to reach 36. I think if England lose another wicket before getting into some kind of a comfortable position, then they will be in real deep trouble.

Michael Holding: Absolutely Bob. But we must also compliment South Africa, especially Mkhaya Ntini who has picked up two big wickets, and put England very much on the backfoot.

Bob Willis: Oh yes. Ntini has bowled superbly and both those wickets were off fantastic deliveries. He is a very good bowler, is Ntini. Good line and length.

ihnp-344766.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread