Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Thanks for all your comments.

Yup, the SA batsmen seem to be great form, especially Herschelle Gibbs, who has been England's nemesis in this tour.

Now there are three games remaining, and England have to win all three to win the series. SA on the other hand are out and out favourates needing just one more win to take the series.

Thanks for the comments and stay tuned to the action.

Interview with Makhaya Ntini

282003ntini2zf.jpg

From a raw and unpolished diamond, Makhaya Ntini has worked hard to glitter above the best in his trade ? pace bowling. In 2002 he was South Africa's highest wicket-taker, and in 2003, he became the highest weicket taker with 59 wickets in his bag.
He continues to develop and grow into one of the best fast bowlers of all time.

Sky Sports' Tim Abraham managed to get hold of Makhaya for a small interview.

Tim Abraham: Makhaya, your team lead England 2-0, with just three matches remaining. How confident are you of clinching this series?

Makhaya Ntini: The series is currently in our hands. I think if we lose this series now, after going 2-0 up, it will be a big disappointment for us. But we have been playing really well, better of the two teams, so I am confident that we win will the series. However, I am not complacent.

Tim Abraham: What has been the key for your team's good performance in the one dayers?

Makhaya Ntini: Teamwork, determination and dedication. After losing 4-0 in the tests, we were feeling very low. But the unity amongst the team members, coaching staff and others involved got us back up. We practiced hard, planned well, and most importantly, delivered on the day of the match.

Tim Abraham: Do you think England's One Day team isnt as good as their Test Team?

Makhaya Ntini: No, I dont think thats the case. Their one day team is as good as the test team. Most of the players of the test side play for the one day side too, so there is no question of any difference. But yes, I guess they havent done as well in ODIs as they have in test matches. Buts its only a matter of time before we see the best of England in the one day matches too.

Tim Abraham: Which current English batsman are you the most afraid to bowl at?

Makhaya Ntini: (giggles) No one. You dont be afraid of any player, you just have respect for him. But I must say I am big admirer of Michael Vaughan and Graham Thorpe.

Tim Abraham: Well according to me the strength in the South African team at the moment is the depth in the batting and also the number of allrounders in the side. Do you agree?

Makhaya Ntini: Yes very much. Allrounders are important in international cricket, and I am glad that South Africa has so many allrounders to choose from.

Tim Abraham: You were the highest wicket-taker in 2003 ? what were the things you worked on?

Makhaya Ntini: It's all about concentration and knowing your role in the team. From there on it depends on how you work towards your goal.

Tim Abraham: You have assumed the mantle of the strike bowler from Shaun Pollock. How big is the responsibility?

Makhaya Ntini: Well, each one of us has the same responsibility ? to take wickets. Yes, as a strike bowler the team always looks to me to take wickets.

Tim Abraham: Your bowling style, delivering from wide of the crease, has troubled established batters. At the same time it has been a case of debate.

Makhaya Ntini: Yes, it is an advantage to get the ball across the left-handers, but at the same time, the spot I deliver it from, and the angle, doesn't allow the ball to get into the left-hander or curve it away from the right-hander. That can only happen if I get closer to the stumps, and I am working on it.

Tim Abraham: Okay last question Makhaya, does speed matter?

Makhaya Ntini: No, speed is irrelevant. What I need to do is I need to attack the batsman more without allowing him to be comfortable against me. For that to happen I need use varied balls that will test him.

Tim Abraham: Thanks for spending your time with us Makhaya and best of luck for tomorrow's match.

Makhaya Ntini: Welcome, Tim.

Last edited:
5th ODI starts!!

STANDARD BANK ONE DAY INTERNATIONALS

South Africa vs England
5th ODI
East London, South Africa
Day and Night Match

South Africa leads 7 match series 2-0

David Gower: Hello and welcome to East London for the 5th ODI of this Standard Bank One Day Series between South Africa and England. South Africa lead the series 2-0, after winning the first two games. The third game ended in a tie, while the fourth was abandoned due to rain.
With me in the studio is David Lyold, Geoffery Boycott and Nasser Hussain.
Good afternoon gentlemen.

All: Good afternoon David

David Gower: So Nasser, what do you think will be England's plan for this game. They very well know that another defeat will cost them the series.

Nasser Hussain: Well if you ask me, I would prefer if England did not change their style of play. They just need to get everything in order. I need not remind you that this was the same England side that went to the finals of the ICC Champions Trophy, beating Australia in the process.
So I guess its about all the players performing the maximum potential. With confidence, results will also come.

David Gower: Very much Nass. But, Geoffery, do you think England are probably lacking the allround skill of Andrew Flintoff?

Geoff Boycott: No doubt about that. They are missing Flintoff big time. With Flintoff in the team, you have an extra bowler and an extra batsman. And not just one who can just about bowl and bat, but one who is really good in both. I mean he is the best allrounder in the world, along with Jacques Kallis.
But I think this England team is not dependent on Flintoff for wins. Yes he makes a huge difference, but this team still has a lot of winners, and is capable of beating South Africa with or without Flintoff.

David Gower: I think everyone agrees with you on that, Geoffery. Now, David, what do you think South Africa's approach will be in these remaining three games?

David Lyold: The fact that this is not a test match, does not allow you to plan any defensive or match saving tactics. South Africa will have to win atleast one of three games, and though that is not the toughest thing to do, they will have to work hard and earn that win. The two nil lead will not gift them another win, they will have to earn it.
It wont be easy because England are determined to win this series and go back home on a high.

David Gower: Thanks, David.
Well we know how important the conditions and pitch are for a game of cricket. Lets us see what we have for today's game in our pitch report with Ian Botham and Bob Willis.

Ian Botham: Thanks David. Well after some horrid conditions in Cape Town I am pleased to inform you that we have perfect conditions for cricket today, here at East London. There is absolutely no chance of rain, its very pleasant, a very comforting breeze blowing across the ground. I think the players are going to enjoy being out in the middle today.

ihnp-354906.jpg

Well now coming to the pitch, I see a good one day wicket that has something in it for the bowlers as well as the batsmen. However, this is a day and night game, and batting second under lights is always going to be difficult. So I would want to win the toss bat first on this wicket and score something around 270, which will be difficult chasing under lights, as the swing bowlers will be able to get a lot of movement at that time.
Your comments Bob?

ihnp-354914.jpg

Bob Willis: Yes indeed Ian. Good overall conditions for cricket, though I think the bowlers have a slight advantage, especially the swing bowlers as you mentioned. No doubt about the fact that one should bat first on this track.
But all in all a good day of cricket in prospect.

Ian Botham: So there you have it. Now its back to the studio with David and company.

David Gower: Thanks Ian. Now lets have a look at what happened in the coin toss today. Michael Holding is with both the captains.

Michael Holding: Good evening ladies and gentlemen for this 5th One Day International between South Africa and England. Here with me for the coin toss I have both the captains, Graeme Smith of South Africa and Michael Vaughan of England. Also we have the match referee for today's game, Mike Proctor.
Michael if you could please toss the coin........................Graeme Smith has called for heads.................and its tails.......no heads it is.......which means Graeme Smith has won the toss.

So Graeme, what is your decision?

Graeme Smith: We are going to bowl first.

Michael Holding: But you will have to then chase the target set by England, under lights.

Graeme Smith: Well we did that successfully in Bloemfontein, dint we?
Anyways, I just feel we are more comfortable in chasing that we are setting targets. Our deep batting gives the advantage of planning a runchase more efficiently with less pressure on individuals. Also I think England themselves are good chasers, as they have twice scored above 300 batting second in this series.

Michael Holding: Very good point Graeme. Any changes to your team?

Graeme Smith: Nope. Same team.

Michael Holding: Thank you Graeme and all the best.

(in the mean time)

Paul Allot: Well Michael, Graeme has decided to bowl first. I think you'll be happy with that, wont you?

Michael Vaughan: Yeah absolutely. Batting second under lights is always difficult. So I must I am glad to be able to bat first today.

Paul Allot: Its a do or die situation for you and your team hereafter Michael. How have you geared up for these remaining three games?

Michael Vaughan: Well we've practiced hard, worked on our weaknesses, and helped each other in whatever way possible. The coach has done a good job also. All the boys are ready for today's game, and I am confident we'll do well.

Paul Allot: Thanks a lot Michael. And now its back to the studio with David Gower.

David Gower: We'll take a short break now. After the break we'll have LIVE action. So stay tuned to Sky Sports 1.

David Gower: Welcome back. We are ready for the start of the match, as the South African players run onto the ground.

2d9eeb

Let us have a quick look at the two teams for today's match.

(Click on thumbnails to view full size image)
Thanks to Imagehosting.us for hosting all my pictures for FREE!

After 15 overs

Match Update- England have lost the wicket of Marcus Trescothick for 20, and have reached 69-1 after 15 overs.

England 69-1 (15 Overs)
I. Bell 31*(50)
M. Vaughan 16*(16)
M. Trescothick 20(26)

Current Run Rate: 4.6

Michael Holding: The match is well poised after 15 overs. South Africa have picked up one wicket, an important one, that of Marcus Trescothick. But England have played, according to me, pretty well.

Nasser Hussain: Couldnt agree with you more, Michael. I think England have done a good job. We have seen there is quite a lot of help for the bowlers, especially the faster bowlers like Makhaya Ntini. So England have done the right thing in not losing too many early wickets. As far as the run rate is concerned, if they have enough wickets in hand, I am sure it will go up in the final 5-10 overs.

Michael Holding: Yes indeed, Nasser. But what do you have to say about Trescothick's dismissal?

Nasser Hussain: Well superb fielding by the South Africans. Good co-ordination between fielder and bowler. Superb throw by Kemp from long off, nice pick up by Ntini and I think he did really well to dislodge the bells so quickly. On any other day that was a comfortable run.

ihnp-355284.jpg

Click on the thumbnails to view full size image.

Hey Sid (I hope you dont mind me calling you Sid!), thats a decent score after 15 overs. This time, England has to win this!!

Do you use slogs or not?? I used a few down the ground slogs (no airy slogs!) and I got 114/1 on a Hard wicket with India against Sri Lanka (See my story thread!). I am using the same patch that you're using now (Ravi's ODI patch with BatWindowIdealSize at 2.0)!

The Champ said:
Good solid start by ENg i would have to like to see them bieng 69-0
Me too.

saisrini80 said:
Do you use slogs or not?? I used a few down the ground slogs (no airy slogs!) and I got 114/1 on a Hard wicket with India against Sri Lanka (See my story the read!). I am using the same patch that you're using now (Ravi's ODI patch with BatWindowIdealSize at 2.0)!

Well I have decreased the power of the down the pitch airy slog shots, but I do use it sometimes after the batsman has sufficient confidence to hit it cleanly. But I have lost my wicket quite a few times in the process. (as you might have seen in my stories)

England lose wickets

Match update- England lose three more wickets to end up with 133-4 after 30 overs.

England 133-4 (30 Overs)
K. Pieterson 14*(30) N. Boje 2-14
I. Bell 9*(16) S. Pollock 1-24
M. Vaughan 40(46)
A. Strauss 0(1)
I. Bell 43(64)

Run Rate: 4.43

David Gower: Graeme Smith's decision to bring in Nicky Boje worked out well when the latter picked up two quick wickets, that of Ian Bell and Andrew Strauss. Two good deliveries by the left arm spinner.

Paul Allot: Absolutely David. Bell and Vaughan were playing well and were building up a good partnership. But then Boje was introduced, and not only did he break the partnership, he also got rid off Andrew Strauss.

David Gower: Two quick wickets would definately put pressure on the batting side, but Vaughan dint appear to have been affected by it, and continued playing his shots. However he soon fell to a superb delivery by Shaun Pollock. Wasnt it a gem of a delivery, Paul?

Paul Allot: Sure was, David. A good length delivery that had Vaughan trapped plum in front of middle stump. A Shaun Pollock special.

David Gower: Well, England's run rate had once gone up as high as 4.75, but those three wickets brought it down to 4.43. They still have a good chance of posting a score of 250+.

Paul Allot: Yes David and I think if they have enough wickets in hand after 40 overs, and maintain a run rate of about 4.5, then I am sure they can score about 250-260. Buts thats a lot of ifs you know. As of now, South Africa have the upper hand in this match, but England can still bounce back and post a good score.

ihnp-356922.jpg

good fightback by boje, unlucky for vaughn though. 40 was a nice start. great story. sorry i havent been posting as much as i would like but i have been reading

MWaugh said:
good fightback by boje, unlucky for vaughn though. 40 was a nice start. great story. sorry i havent been posting as much as i would like but i have been reading
Yes really Vaughan should have got more, would be an inspirational inings.

Thanks guys for the comments. Keep them coming!!

Yup, agree about Vaughan. He was looking very good, but you should have seen the delivery from Pollock that got him out. It was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread