Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
thats going to be a big challenge for south africa. while pollock is there they always have a chance but if he goes i think the match will dissapear aswell. great story mate

England win by 51 runs!!!

South Africa 187 all out (38.3 Overs)
S. Pollock 37*(25) A. Giles 4-61
J. Kemp 26(33) J. Anderson 2-26
G. Smith 26(39)

England 238-9 (50 Overs)
I. Bell 43(64) N. Boje 3-42

G. Jones 41(44) S. Pollock 2-37
M. Vaughan 40(46) J. Kallis 2-49

England won by 51 runs
South Africa lead 7 match series 2-1, 2 matches remaining

Man of the Match: Ashley Giles (ENG)

David Gower: Well England have won this match pretty comfortably at the end, bowling out the home side for 187. Ashley Giles, despite being was expensive was the pick of the bowlers with 4 wickets. James Anderson and Paul Collingwood each picked 2, while Steve Harmison and Alex Wharf both picked 1.

Michael Holding: Yes a clinical bowling and fielding performance there by Michael Vaughan's team. They dint post a very high total, but bowled well. But I think their fielding is what made the difference in today's game. Apart from all those brilliant catches, the overall fielding by England was excellent. They easily saved some 30 runs.

David Gower: What do you think about Giles' performance today?

Michael Holding: Well he went for a few runs, but got the wickets, and as a captain you wouldnt mind that. In ODIs, wickets and quick wickets are important, and Giles picked up four very important wickets, and hence I think his contribution in this game was very important for England.

David Gower: Bob, we had predicted that batting wouldnt be all that easy on this wicket, but do you think the scores that we have seen today by both teams are much less than what we had expected?

Bob Willis: Yes David. I thought a score of 260 could be attained on this wicket, and anything above 270 would be tough chase. England's 239 was a chaseable target, but I think they fielded really well.

David Gower: Okay then we will take a short break now after which we will have the match presentation with Paul Allot.

2krf9x

2krfpt

David Gower: Welcome back. Before we head for the match presentation, lets have a look at the stats for South Africa's innings

2krfvo

2krivn

2krj15

2krjfs

2krlw2

Match presentation

Paul Allot: Welcome to the match presentation. First I would like to thank all the people on stage, who will be distributing the awards.
Now I would like to call the South African captain, Graeme Smith to come forward please.

So Graeme, disappointed?

Graeme Smith: Yes Paul. 239 wasnt the toughest target to chase, and I really felt that our batting let us down today. But I must also give credit to the England bowlers and fielders who were spot on in the field today in almost everything.

Paul Allot: Well you were in the game till the end, even with 8 wickets down and 70 runs behind people were refusing to rule you guys out.

Graeme Smith: Yes we have a lot of depth in our batting. Andrew Hall who comes in at no.10 is a very good batsman, and Makhaya Ntini has a habit of hitting shots at the end. But no one really clicked, no major partnerships, and without both these you cannot win international matches.

Paul Allot: So what will your strategy for the remaining two games. You know you have to win one more to win the series.

Graeme Smith: It would have been better had we wrapped up the series here today. We had a decent chance of doing that, but I guess it was not to be. Anyways, I am confident that we will work on our mistakes and try and win the next game.

Paul Allot: Thanks Graeme, and now I would like to call upon the England captain, Michael Vaughan.

So Michael how does it feel after having finally won a match in this ODI series?

Michael Vaughan: Well we are really delighted to have won this match. We've had 5 tough matches, lost the first two, somehow managed to tie the third, and now to have won this match and to have kept the series alive, its a really good feeling for all of us.

Paul Allot: The main performer for England, I felt, was Ashley Giles. How do you rate him in this England side?

Michael Vaughan: Very highly. He is one of the most experienced players in the side, and is our best spinner. He is also one of the best in his department in the world, and we are very fortunate to have a bowler of that quality in the England side.

Paul Allot: Well congratulations Michael and all the best for the rest of the series.

Now for the man of the match. Well there were not many outstanding individual performances today, apart from South Africa's Nicky Boje and England's Ashley Giles. But at the end the commentators of Sky Sports as well as Super Sport have voted for Ashley Giles.
Unfortunately Ashley is not feeling well and hasnt been able to attend the presentation ceremony, hence I would request his captain to come and accept his award as well as a cheque of 5,000 GBP.

So thats all we have from the match presentation. Join us for the next match LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on Sky Sports 1.

England break duck

England forced their way back into the ODI series with a 51 run win over South Africa at East London

_40337315_indexeng203.jpg

Steve Harmison and Michael Vaughan celebrate England's 51 run victory over South Africa

The visitors set up victory with an excellent bowling and fielding display to dismiss the Proteas for 187 in the 39th over after having made 238-9 in 50 overs.

Ashley Giles starred with four wickets.

Having being made to bat first by Graeme Smith, England struggled themselves with the bat, losing wickets at regular intervals, and the highest score being 43 by Ian Bell. Michael Vaughan made 40 while Geraint Jones hit 41.

For South Africa, Nicky Boje picked up three wickets, while Pollock and Kallis picked up two wickets each.

In reply South Africa got off to a decent start reaching 45-0 in 11 overs. But then three quick wickets put the hosts under pressure, something they couldnt cope up with, as wickets started falling regularly. At the end they were bowled out for 187, 51 runs behind England's score.

Ashley Giles picked up four wickets, while James Anderson got two. The former was named man of the match.

Both teams will now head to Durban for the sixth match, where a win for the visitors will level the series, while the home side can seal the series with a victory.

Adam Bacher injured

South Africa have been hit by an injury to batsman Adam Bacher. Bacher, it is believed, has picked up a thigh strain, due to which he will be unavailable for the South Africa's ODI match against England at Durban tomorrow.

000299.jpg

Bacher had earlier made a return to the ODI squad after a span of seven years. He has been in good form so far in this series.

Ashwell Prince, AB De Villiers or Jacques Rudolph are expected to replace Bacher in the starting lineup.

6th ODI - LIVE from Durban

Standard Bank One Day Internationals 2005
South Africa vs England
6th ODI
Durban, South Africa
Day and Night Match

South Africa lead 7 match series 2-1, one remaining.

David Gower: A very good afternoon to all our viewers. Welcome to this sixth ODI of the Standard Bank ODI Series, between South Africa and England. Well, after having a really tough time in the series, England finally broke their duck, with a 51 run win over the hosts at East London in the last match to cut short South Africa's lead to 2-1.
Now we have two more matches to play in this series, a win for the home side in any one will hand them the series, while the visitors need to win both to win the series.
In the studio with me I have Nasser Hussain and Paul Allot.

A very good afternoon to you both.

Now starting with you Nass, how do you see today's match shaping up?

Nasser Hussain: Well David with England winning the last game, we have the series back alive. Everyone was expecting SA to romp through the series, which they still might, but I think England's win in the last game has changed things quite a bit. England will be a lot more confident going into this match, and hence we can expect a good tough contest here at Durban today.

David Gower: Yes Nass, I agree with you on that, we do have a great match in prospect today. Now, Paul, we know that South Africa are still rated favourates in this series. How do you think Smith will make his team play in today's game?

Paul Allot: I think they will be aggressive in this match, as they still have a cushion of one game over England. Hence they probably are more likely to take risks, as compared to England. But mind you anything foolish here could cost them dearly at the end. Remember, if England win this one, then we will have a deciding final game at Centurion. I am sure Smith wants to wrap up the series before that.

David Gower: Very true Paul. Now I guess its time for the pitch report with none other than out very own Ian Botham and Bob Willis.

Ian Botham: Thanks David. Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, we are ready for another cracking game between these two sides here at Durban today.
Its bright and sunny here today, warm and a good day for cricket. There is an almost zero chance of rain.

Now coming to the pitch, as you can see, its a good wicket for batting. Not much bounce or pace on it, and hence one can expect a high scoring affair today. However we once again have a day and night game, and hence batting second under lights is always going to be a gamble. So though its appears to be a good batting wicket for the entire 100 overs, I would want to make first use of this wicket and post a high total.
Whats your opinion on that Bob?

Bob Willis: Yes Ian. It will always be harder to bat second on this wicket under lights. And since this wicket seems to be a good one for batting, there is a good chance that the team batting first might post a huge total, and hence chasing that total under light will be really difficult. So I would definately recommend batting first on this wicket.

Ian Botham: Thanks Bob. So thats all we have from here at the moment. Its back to the studio.

David Gower: We'll take a short break now. After the break, we will head back to the ground for the toss.

should be a cracker hopefully england can level the series. good luck

David Gower: Welcome back. Now lets head to the ground for the coin toss with Michael Holding.

Michael Holding: Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. We are ready for the coin toss for today's match. So if I could ask the captain of the home side, Greame Smith to toss the coin..........................Michael Vaughan has called heads..........and heads it is.

So Michael what is your decision?

Michael Vaughan: We are going to bat first Mike. The wicket looks a good batting track, and we want to make the first use of it and post a good total, with which we can put South Africa under pressure.

Michael Holding: Not a surprise there, Michael. Any changes to your side?

Michael Vaughan: Nope. We are playing the same team.

Michael Holding: Thanks, Michaeal.

(in the mean time)

David Lyold: Hello Graeme, you are going to have to chase again.

Graeme Smith: Yes, and I guess its a good oppurtunity for us to show that we are capable of chasing. We dint perform well in the last game, but I am confident we will do better in today's match.

David Lyold: Well we all know that Bacher is not playing today. So who is in inplace of him, and also tell us about the injury.

Graeme Smith: Uh, Adam picked up a thigh strain yesterday while practicing in the nets. Its nothing serious, and we expect him to be fit for the next game. However we will only play him if he is fully fit.
Today, we have Abraham De Villiers in the side in place of him.

David Lyold: Well thanks a lot mate and all the best.

David Gower: So England have won the toss and have decided to bat first. Will that make a difference, Nass?

Nasser Hussain: It will. It did in the last match, and today I think it will affect even more as England now have a good chance of posting a high score batting first on this wicket. And chasing a huge total will always be difficult.

David Gower: Let us have a look at the team lineups for today's game, as the players get ready for action.

ihnp-376324.jpg

ihnp-376325.jpg

The Champ said:
Eagerly waiting for the start mate
Thanks for your replies. Hope you have enjoyed this story till now.

jazz said:
should be a cracker hopefully england can level the series. good luck
Thanks mate.
I have already completed the England innings, but couldnt post the regular updates as I was a bit busy in the last few days and I played most of the part at a place where I was unable to access the net.

Will be posting the details of the England innings tonight.

Just a reminder that Adam Bacher is not playing this game due to injury.

Last edited:
Jones' unbeaten 187 puts England on top

England 363-5 (50 Overs)
G. Jones 187*(140) N. Boje 1-44
A. Strauss 49(62) M. Ntini 1-46
I. Bell 44(50)

South Africa need 364 runs to win from 50 overs
Reqd RR: 7.28

David Gower: So a superb batting display by England, lead by Geraint Jones, sees them right on top of this game.
If South Africa do manage to chase this target, then it will be a world record.
Now, Geoffery, what did you think about Geraint Jones' innings today?

Geoffery Boycott: It was brilliant innings from the Kent wicketkeeper. He played some really nice shots, good running
between the wickets, and really got on top of the South African bowlers. It was a treat to watch him today. The lad is
really doing well for England.

David Gower: Yes, and the South African bowlers dint have a good time today, apart from maybe Ntini and Boje.

Geoffery Boycott: Boje bowled well. I think it was only towards the end that he got punished, but thats natural. But out of all
the South African bowlers, I think he caused the batsmen the most problem.

David Gower: Lets have a look at the wickets that fell today. First to go was Marcus Treschothick, out bowled by Ntini.

After this Bell and Jones played well for a good partnership, before the former was run out on 44.

ihnp-376603.jpg

The next wicket to fall was that of Andrew Strauss, caught by Gibbs off Kemp. Strauss missed out on a 50 by just 1 run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread