Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
David Gower: Now lets have a look at the stats for the innings.

ihnp-376620.jpg

So Geoffery, can South Africa chase this target?

Geoffery Boycott: I think I have a better chance of playing baseball, than what South Africa have for winning this match. I wont say impossible, but very very close to it. Come on 364 under lights, needs some sort of a miracle, doesnt it?

David Gower: Well only time will tell.
Anyways as the players take lunch, we will take a break ourselves. But dont forget to join us for the South African innings in about 45 mins time. Do stay tuned.

Well, this time I think SA can forget a win. Wonder what the rest of the series will provide...? Should be very good!

South Africa start off well

Match update- Despite losing captain Graeme Smith, South Africa have done well in the first 15 overs, reaching 98-1.

South Africa 98-1 (15 Overs)
A. De Villiers 43*(38) S. Harmison 1-27
J. Kallis 43*(39)
G. Smith 12(13)

South Africa need 266 runs to win from 35 overs
Reqd RR: 7.6, Current RR: 6.54

Ian Botham: South Africa have done well if you ask me. They have kept the runs coming as well as not lost two many wickets. But the problem for them despite having such a good run rate, they are still behind the required run rate. So they are constantly under pressure to score runs. Lets see if they can handle it.

Nasser Hussain: Well if they have wickets in hand at the end, then I am sure they will be able to up the run rate. But they must maintain a runrate of 6-6.5 right uptil the 35th over, and not lose too many wickets if they want to stand a chance of winning this match. But personally, I dont see that happening, Ian.

Ian Botham: Me neither Nasser. But I guess we have seen how good this pitch is for batting. Even batting second on this wicket seems to be easy stuff.
Now lets have a look at the highlights from the first 15 overs.

2mgtcj

Graeme Smith was dismissed by Steve Harmison off his own bowling. A great catch this, as its always difficult for a fast bowler to take catches off his own bowling.

2mgto1

Despite losing captain Smith, South Africa have done well, thanks to De Villiers and Kallis.

2mgtx3

England's James Anderson has not had a good game so far, being hit for 36 runs in his four overs. Harmison has been slightly better going for 27 runs in his six overs, but he also picked up a wicket.

Nasser Hussain: The next 15 overs are going to be crucial for both sides.

Ian Botham: Indeed Nasser. So lets rejoin the action, as the players are ready for play to resume after the drinks break.

South Africa dominate, but two late wickets puts England back into the game

Match update- Kallis, De Villiers and Gibbs put SA on top, but two late wickets bring England back into the game

South Africa 199-4 (30 Overs)
H. Gibbs 31*(28) A. Giles 1-19
J. Kemp 0*(2) S. Harmison 1-36
B. Dippenaar 0(2)
J. Kallis 80(74)
A. De Villiers 76(61)

South Africa need another 165 runs to win from 20 overs.
Reqd RR: 8.25, Current RR: 6.63

David Gower: Well South Africa were really looking like they might chase the target of 364 pretty easily, only for two quick wickets to fall in the 29th and 30th over, which again brings England back into the game.

David Lyold: Absolutely David. Now they have a new batsman in the middle, and still have to score at above 8 runs per over. However if they manage to score another 70-80 runs in the next 10 overs, without losing too many wickets, then I think they will have a really good chance.

David Gower: Yes and full credit to them, we were so confident that no team will be able to make such a high score batting second, but I guess, this shows how wrong we commentators can be.

David Lyold: Yes David. Well the pitch is good for batting and hence go out there and score runs - this has been the motto of the South Africans, and they have bothered about batting first or second, and have just gone their and scored runs.

David Gower: But now with the fall of Kallis and De Villiers' wickets, and also Dippenaar going cheaply, I think it will be a tough task for them.

David Lyold: Well it was a tough task from the very beginning. They have done very well in the first half of their chase. Now lets see if they can do the same in the second half.
But whatever happens, this game has been a fantastic one to watch.

David Gower: Highlights in the last 15 overs,

2mhj81

2mi5as

2mi6wh

2mia10

Ashley Giles was introduced into the attack and he dismissed De Villiers in just his second over. A crucial wicket

2miae1

2miahk

2miam0

2miarr

David Gower: James Anderson who has had a pretty poor game so far, strikes back in his second spell dismissing the dangerous Jacques Kallis on 80.

2miaur

Paul Collingwood produces a sensational delivery to get rid of Dippenaar.

2mib03

A close match in the offing here!!! 165 runs off 20 overs with Ravi's patch is definitely possible.

A great series so far Siddarth!! Both teams have fought brilliantly!! Kudos to you for entertaining us so much!

saisrini80 said:
A close match in the offing here!!! 165 runs off 20 overs with Ravi's patch is definitely possible.

A great series so far Siddarth!! Both teams have fought brilliantly!! Kudos to you for entertaining us so much!
Surely he has entertained us very well sai, but i dont think 165 of 20 overs is cake walk.

Anyway great thread Siddarth, good presentation and nice coverage

Users who are viewing this thread