Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
The Champ said:
Surely he has entertained us very well sai, but i dont think 165 of 20 overs is cake walk.

Anyway great thread Siddarth, good presentation and nice coverage

I think you've not played with Ravi's patch buddy.. Its very tough to contain the batsman in Ravi's ODI patch and 8 runs per over are very common with his patches!!!

But still England are the favorites though I predict a close match!!

Yes it is very hard to contain the batsmen with Ravi's patch. Only certain deliveries and certain field settings (which change during different stages of the match) can contain the CPU from picking up 4s.

England draw level!!

South Africa 292 all out (44.2 Overs)
J. Kallis 80(74) A. Giles 3-58
A. De Villiers 76(61) I. Bell 2-39
H. Gibbs 71(55)

England 363-5 (50 Overs)
G. Jones 187*(140) N. Boje 1-44
A. Strauss 49(62) M. Ntini 1-46
I. Bell 44(50)

England won by 71 runs
Man of the Match: Geraint Jones (ENG)
Series level 2-2, 1 match remaining

David Gower: Well despite providing a good fight, South Africa have found 364 too much of a target, and the pressure of an ever increasing run rate finally did get to them. England have now drawn level in the series, which means the last game at Centurion will decide the winner of this series.

Michael Holding: Yes David, a great comeback by England to level the series 2-2. Geraint Jones batted brilliantly earlier in the day to help his team post an unbeatable score. South Africa nearly proved us wrong, but in the end, the target was a bit too much for the home side. But it was a great game of cricket. This series has been one of the best Ive ever seen or experienced.

David Gower: Very much Mike. Now let us have a look at the highlights after the 30th over.
The first wicket to fall was that of Justin Kemp. Kemp is a dangerous batsmen and ideal for these kind of situations, but he failed today.

2mjsrm

Gibbs on the other hand reached 50 in just 44 balls.

2mjvw2

2mkxva

Ian Bell was then thrown the ball by Vaughan and despite going for runs he responded by picking up two wickets, Boucher and Pollock.

2mjzo4

2mk1ee

Last edited:
David Gower: But SA hopes were completely dashed when Gibbs was stumped by Jones off Giles.

2mk1l2

Giles picked up his third wicket, when he had Andrew Hall out LBW.

2mk4qw

And Nicky Boje's run out handed England a 71 run win over the hosts.

2mk5l0

Wow.. That was a great match..

Now the final ODI is going to be a mouth watering encounter with the winner winning the ODI series.. Great comeback from England after having lost the first two matches. But the rained ODI gave them a breath in back to the series.

Match presentation with Sky Sports' Paul Allot

Paul Allot: Good evening ladies and gentlemen. We've experienced a fantastic match here at Durban today. Both teams played well, but in the England coming out winners.
A vote of thanks to all our guests on stage, who will be presenting the awards. A special thanks to pop singer Alizee for coming here today and watching the match.

First I would like to call the losing captain, Graeme Smith, on stage

Well Graeme, what a match that was?

Graeme Smith: Yeah it was a great game. Disappointed that we lost, but we tried our best.

Paul Allot: Well you were once leading the series 2-0, and now England have drawn level. How do you see the final match shaping up after this?

Graeme Smith: Well its like a final. We are obviously disappointed that we could finish the job earlier, but now we have to work hard for the Centurion game, and I am sure we can keep these 2 defeats behind us and win that match, and with it the series.

Paul Allot: Thanks Graeme.

Now I would like to call upon Michael Vaughan.

Well Michael, how do you rate this win?

Michael Vaughan: Very high Paul. It was a great game of cricket. We batted well earlier on and put South Africa under pressure, but they too fought till the end, and I must say I am very pleased to have won this match.
We've worked hard. We had an uphill task being 2-0 down in the series, but we fought back well and have now leveled the series.

Paul Allot: And your decision to send Geraint Jones up the order paid off at the end, dint it?

Michael Vaughan: Yes it did, Paul. He is one batsman who can score runs quickly and hit the ball hard. We needed someone like him to score runs quickly early on in the innings, so that we get a good score in the first 20 overs or so. But he went far beyond that and played a leading role today, which we knew he was very capable of doing. His innings was a treat to watch.

Paul Allot: Thanks Michael.

Now for the man of the match. Quite a few eye catchers, but none quite as much as Geraint Jones, with his unbeaten 187 coming in just 140 deliveries. Sensational stuff, and he is our man of the match.

Geraint, pleased with your performance?

Geraint Jones: Yes Paul, very much. More than the fact that I scored 187, what pleases me is that it helped my team post a good total on the board, and at the end win the match. I enjoyed batting on the wicket, and tried my best to make most use of the conditions.

Paul Allot: Well since you have mentioned about the pitch, tell us a bit more about it. How was it overall?

Geraint Jones: Like I said it was great pitch for the batsmen, but not quite for the bowlers. Not much pace or bounce, and hence it was easy for the batsmen to time and execute their shots. I would definately not want to bowl on this wicket, had I been a bowler.(laughs)

Paul Allot: (giggles) I can understand that Geraint. Thanks a lot, and please collect your prize from Mr. Majola, the president of the UCB South Africa.

So thats all we have from today's match presentation ceremony. Till next time, its good bye from me and the rest of the team of Sky Sports.

Jones inspires England to victory

England have leveled the series 2-2 with a 71 run victory over South Africa at Durban

After winning the toss and batting first, England posted a mammoth 363-5, thanks largely due to Geraint Jones' unbeaten 187. The Kent wicketkeeper was sent in at number three, a place which has been occupied by the England captain in previous matches. And Jones responded well, as he played some glorious shots in his innings, and to all parts of the ground.
Apart from this, Ian Bell made 44 and Andrew Strauss 49.

For South Africa Nicky Boje, Makhaya Ntini, Andrew Hall and Justin Kemp each picked up one wicket.

Chasing 364, South Africa got off to a flier, despite losing Smith. First De Villiers(76) and Kallis(80), and then Kallis and Gibbs(71), got partnerships going between them and put South Africa on top of the game, scoring at almost seven runs per over. But the task was a bit too much for them, and despite of half centuries from all three of them, the Proteas were bowled out for 292 in the 45th over.

Ashley Giles picked up three wickets, while Ian Bell got two. Harmison, Anderson, Wharf and Collingwood each picked up one wicket.

England's Geraint Jones was named Man of the Match. He also became the highest run scorer in this series.

With this win, England have levelled the series 2-2, and both teams now head to Centurion for the all important decider.

Attachments

• jones.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I am now more interested in the last ODI. I want to know who is going to win...

When do you plan to start, Siddarth?? I am waiting for it!! Excitement building!! Hope its a fitting finale to this great series!!

Users who are viewing this thread