Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Oops... Sorry to see a loss for England. But the result was what I predicted at the start of this match!!

Brilliant thread buddy! You're one of the best surely.. Some reps for you!!

Great for SA! One of the best series iv'e "seen". Thanks for bringing it to us! Very similar to the real England SA tour...

I'm behind England all the way for the Ashes!!!

Johann said:
Great for SA! One of the best series iv'e "seen". Thanks for bringing it to us! Very similar to the real England SA tour...

I'm behind England all the way for the Ashes!!!
Thanks Johann your all your comments, suggestions, and the continuous support during this entire African tour which started in Namibia.

Also I would like thank The_Champ, Colin, Sai, nightprowler10, faraz, Rangeela, Matt, Stevie, MWaugh, Jazz, Gold, fardin, tjh1989, S_Harmison, karan_rvd, FishBowlMan, Shailesh and all the others who have posted their comments and views in this thread.

Match Presentation Ceremony coming up shortly

Match presentation with Sky Sports' Michael Holding

Michael Holding: Hello and welcome to the final match presentation ceremony in this Standard Bank ODI Series between South Africa and England. South Africa have won the series 3-2 after beating England by 107 runs here at Centurion. Well played both sides and thanks a lot for providing us with such an entertaining one day series.
Now I would like to call upon the losing captain, Michael Vaughan.

Michael, the target was a bit too much for your team?

Michael Vaughan: Yes Mike. I thought that a score above 230-240 would be a good total on this wicket, and their score of 283 was simply an awesome one. It was always going to be tough to chase that target, and we never got any sort of partnership going. Trescothick and Collingwood tried their best, but our batting performance was very disappointing today.

Michael Holding: But you can take a lot of positives from this tour, Michael.

Michael Vaughan: Oh yes Mike. We've had a long and hard tour, and we are really looking forward to going back home. We've had a nice time here, learnt a lot, and I am sure our experience here will help us play better in future games and tournaments. We won the test series 4-0, and though we werent able to win the ODIs, we can take a lot of positives from them.

Michael Holding: Thanks a lot Michael. You can now collect your team prize cheque.

Now its time for the Man of the Match.

And there was really just one main candidate for this award, Adam Bacher for his brilliant 119 under not the best batting conditions.

Adam, you must have been pleased with that ton?

Adam Bacher: Yes it was a special innings. I am happy because it propelled the team towards victory. But you cant say we won just because of my century. I think the bowlers really bowled well, and after all it was a team victory.

Michael Holding: This obviously was your comeback series, after being called into the side after such a long absence from International Cricket. How do you rate this series?

Adam Bacher: Well it was a great series, Mike, with both teams wanting to win at any cost. There were some incredible performances with both bat and ball, and despite having one rained off match, I think overall this series was superb.
As far as my performances are concerned, I am really pleased to have been able to contribute for my team. But I think I could have converted some of those 40s into 50s and 100s. So definately I can and want to improve.

Michael Holding: Thanks Adam. Now its time for the Man of the Series.
Well we've seen some great performances from players of both sides. But there was one certain player who played very consistently, and played some crucial knocks. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Man of the Series in this Standard Bank ODI Series is none other than - Herschelle Gibbs.

Herschelle, you've really had an amazing time, scoring most number of runs in both tests and ODIs. What was the secret to your success?

Herschelle Gibbs: Ah, when you are out there as a batsman, your job is to score runs and put your team in a winning position. I tried my best to do it whenever I am batting. I am pleased that we have won this series, after having lost our 2-0 lead earlier in the series. Full credit to out captain and also the entire team.

Michael Holding: Well as Man of the Series you win a brand new BMW X5 courtesy Standard Bank South Africa. Congratulations Herschelle once again.

And finally I would like to call upon the winning captain, Graeme Smith.

Graeme, congratulations and you must really pleased with your team.

Graeme Smith: Absolutely Mike. We had a tough time in the test series, but I think we've shown a lot of character in bouncing back in the ODIs. I have always had faith in my team, and that faith has paid back today. I would like to thank each and every member of South African team. I would also like to thank our opponents, for providing such a tough fight throughout this series. They are great team, probably the second best in the world after Australia. I know the Ashes is coming up for them, and wish them the best of luck for that.

Michael Holding: Thats the sign of a man leading from the front. Congratulations Greame, you can receive the Standard Bank 2005 trophy.
_40824467_trophy_getty300.jpg

South Africa win series

South Africa romped to victory in the final one-day international at Centurion to lift the series against England 3-2.

Batting first the South Africans posted an impressive 283 in 50 overs, largely due to Adam Bacher's 119. Shaun Pollock played well at the end scoring a quick fire 33. Otherwise no one really managed to cross 30 for South Africa.

For England, Matthew Hoggard playing his first game of the series picked up four wickets, though he went for 54 runs in the process.

England never really got off to any sort of a start chasing 284, and lost wickets very frequently. Finally they were bowled out for just 176, 107 runs behind SA's total. Trescothick scored 45, while Collingwood was unbeaten on 57.

_40823321_tresco_getty300.jpg

Marcus Trescothick looks dejected after being dismissed for 46

Makhaya Ntini and Andrew Hall, bagged three wickets each.

Adam Bacher was rightfully named Man of the Match for his blinder of an innings.

Herschelle Gibbs who has scored above 350 runs in this series was declared Man of the Series.

_40824431_vaughan_pa200.jpg

Vaughan applauds South Africa after the latter beat his team 3-2 in the ODI Series.

England who had won the test series 4-0, will now return home for a long much deserved break. Their next opponents are Bangladesh, and in England.

Your welcome mate.

I added a bit to the sig too ;) :D

I hope Ste wont get angry :p

England's African Safari (Nov 2004-Feb 2005)
2 One Day matches v Namibia @ Nissan Series (Draw 1-1)
4 ODIs v Zimbabwe @ Nissan One Day Internationals (Won 4-0)
vs SAA 3 day match (Drawn)
5 Tests v S Africa @ MTN Castle Lager Test Series (Won 4-0)
vs SAA One Day Match (Won)
7 ODIs v S Africa @ Standard Bank ODI Series (Lost 2-3, 1 NR, 1 Tie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics from the Standard Bank ODI Series 2005

South Africa vs England

Top Run Aggregates (Individual)
Highest Individual Scores
Highest Strike Rates (Batting)

Attachments

• toprunaggregates.jpg
    toprunaggregates.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 69
  • toprunscores.jpg
    toprunscores.jpg