Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Tigers determined to bounce back

Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore is confident that his team will put up a good performance at Chester-le-Street in the second test match against England

_41196971_whatmore203.jpg

Ex Sri Lanka and current Bangladesh coach, Dav Whatmore

The visitors were thrashed at Lords, losing by an innings and 289 runs, and also raising a lot of questions about their test status.

After the defeat to England, Michael Atherton and Richie Benaud both said they should not be playing Tests. Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Atherton said: "The quality of cricket we have been subjected to at Lord's demeans Test cricket and the players throughout history who have played the game."

However, the former England captain placed the blame firmly at the door of the International Cricket Council for promoting Bangladesh to the highest level too early."

"In time, Bangladesh will surely take their rightful place amongst Test match nations," he added.

Writing in the News of the World, Benaud said the ICC "must remove Bangladesh and Zimbabwe from full-time international cricket until their ability and infrastructure warrant their re-inclusion".

But Whatmore rejected suggestions they could play in a lower tier, saying: "It's not the answer." "On the surface it was a one-sided affair but just to say, 'Bangladesh, off you go,' is not right," Whatmore told BBC Radio Five Live.

"The potential that lies in Bangladesh is incredible. This was our first tour of England and to play at Lord's was a wonderful honour and a great experience.
The memory's not too great with the result." added Whatmore.

"I am confident that we will put up a much better performance in the next match as by then we would have got used to the conditions better and this first test match will also serve as a good lesson for all our players. Failure is the first step towards success."

The second test starts on the 3rd of June at the Riverside.

2nd Test

The npower Test Series
England vs Bangladesh

2nd Test
Riverside (Chester-le-Street)

David Gower: Hello and welcome to the Riverside for this second test match between England and Bangladesh in the npower test series. The hosts lead the series 1-0 after a massive win at Lords, and are favourites for a 2-0 whitewash of the visitors. Bangladesh on the other hand have been subjected to intense criticism, with their test status been thrown into doubt.
I have got two gentlemen in the studio with me to discuss this and other things, Sir Geoffery Boycott and Attar Ali Khan.
Good morning to you both.

Geoffery, you were very adamant that Bangladesh do not deserve to play test cricket.

Geoff Boycott: Sure I was, David. Test Cricket is the highest and the purest form of the game. Players who have played test cricket and those who are playing currently are of the highest quality. And what we saw at Lords was clearly insulting the very existence of test cricket.

I am not saying Bangladesh and Zimbabwe should never play test cricket. All I am saying we must ensure that they play only if they are good enough and strong enough to challenge the other test playing nations. I am not saying you have to win matches, but you must look like you are capable of playing with the big boys.

David Gower: So what, a two tier system or something?

Geoff Boycott: That would be a good solution. A two tier system in which maybe you can include the A sides of the major test playing nations and teams like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Kenya. Based on their performances, we can determine whether or not some of these teams are capable of playing with the big boys.
I mean Bangladesh I heard were beaten by Sussex prior to this test series, and that was another comprehensive innings defeat. So how can one expect them to play against a team that many feel are capable of beating Australia?

Attar Ali Khan: Well I fully understand Geoffery's comments, and I think any cricket pundit or fan would not want to see performances like the one we experienced at Lords. But I guess we must wait and see what happens in this test match, before jumping to any conclusions.
Subcontinental teams, like India and Sri Lanka, also find it very tough to play in English conditions, and they too have a pretty poor record in test matches here. So for a subcontinental team that is playing for the first time in England, its obvious it will be a tough task. Also the fact that they are playing one of the best sides in the world, just makes matters worse.
So I think we must see how Bangladesh adapt in the remainder of this tour and then think about removing their test status and demoting them to a lower tier or something.

David Gower: So some vaild points there from both pundits. Anyways lets now have a look at today's match. England lead the series 1-0, remember.
5jxxrd

Lets now have a look at the conditions and the pitch for today. For that lets head on to the middle with our very own Ian Botham and Bob Willis

I say England take this in 2 days. They should be very positive at thrashing Bangladesh to help the mental boost before they take the Ashes this year.

its going to be another whooping win for england

i cannot see bangladesh putting up a fight

Pitch Report and Conditions Check

Bob Willis: Thanks David. Well its a sunny day here at the Riverside, but there is a cool breeze blowing from the north, which means the players need to be well wrapped up in their sweaters. No chance of rain what so ever, but overall good conditions for cricket.
5megs6

Now lets have a look at the pitch with Ian.

Ian Botham: Thanks mate. Yes, so the pitch today is a rather hard one, with a lot of bounce that should last atleast the first three days. Batting will be tough, especially for the minnows, Bangladesh, but England dont have Harmison and Flintoff, who can make optimum use of the pitch. But nevertheless, I would suggest bowling first on this wicket.
5megza

Back to the studio.

David Gower: Thanks a lot Ian. We will take a short break now. After that we will head back to the middle for the all important toss.

In the meantime here is some information about the ground on which this test match is being played, Chester-le-Street.

yes correct decision by england they were always going to bowl first

Chester-le-Street - Riverside Stadium

Riverside Ground

Chester-le-Street, England

cricket3.jpg

County Ground, Riverside, Chester-le-street, Co Durham, DH3 3QR (Phone: 0191-387-1717/Fax 0191-387-1616)

Established 1995
Capacity 5000 (17000 for internationals)
Floodlights No
End names Finchale End, Lumley End
Home team(s) Durham

First Test England v Zimbabwe - Jun 5-7, 2003 scorecard
Last Test England v Bangladesh - Jun 3-7, 2005*
First ODI Pakistan v Scotland - May 20, 1999 scorecard
Last ODI England v New Zealand - Jun 29, 2004 scorecard

Highest Innings Total: 416 England vs Zimbabwe 2003
Highest Partnership: 149 Alec Stewart and Antony McGrath, England vs Zimbabwe 2003
Best Bowling: 6-33 Richard Johnson, England vs Zimbabwe 2003
Highest Score: 81 Antony McGrath, England vs Zimbabwe 2003
Highest Wicket taker: 6 James Anderson, Steve Harmison and Richard Johnson
Highest Run scorer: 81 Antony McGrath

Can any of you guess why I've not been posting in this thread for the last few days? :rolleyes:

The Toss with Paul Allot

David Gower: Welcome back. Lets now head back to the middle for the toss.

52994889.jpg

Paul Allot: Thanks David. Yes I have with me the two captains, Michael Vaughan of England, and Habibul Bashar of Bangladesh along with the match referee Clive Lyold. Michael is going to toss the coin, so..........Habibul has called heads...........and its tails.

Congrats Michael. What is your decision?

Michael Vaughan: Thanks Paul, uh, we are going to have a bowl first on this wicket. It seems a good one for bowling with a lot of bounce, and I think batting first on this wicket is going to be very difficult.

Paul Allot: Any changes to your side?

Michael Vaughan: Yeah. Jonathan Lewis and Graham Thorpe are both in in place of Martin Saggers and Ian Bell.

Paul Allot: Thanks Michael and all the best.

Micheal Vaughan: Cheers mate.

Paul Allot: Habibul, you didnt want to bat first, did you?

Habibul Bashar: Yes as it will be very hard to bat first against England's bowlers. But we will try our best to put in a good performance and make England work for a victory.

Paul Allot: Well thats good spirit. Any changes from the team that played at Lords?

Habibul Bashar: Well Tapash Baisya has picked up a thigh strain while training and hence cant play today. He is replaced by Shahadat Hossain. Also Aftab Ahmad, Anwar Hossain are playing in place of Shahriar Nafees and Enamul Haque.

Paul Allot: Okay, thanks a lot Habibul. And that all we have from the middle at the moment, its back to the studio with David and company.

Users who are viewing this thread