M. Hayden 80(55) A. Flintoff 3-19
A. Gilchrist 20(10) S. Jones 3-32
R. Ponting 17(10) P. Collingwood 2-15

England 172 all out 20 Overs
A. Flintoff 51(44) B. Hogg 2-6
K. Pieterson 44(26) A. Symonds 2-21
G. Jones 24(15) M. Kasprowicz 2-26

England won by 5 runs

David Gower: England have won an absolute thriller of a game here at the Rose Bowl. The match was like a rocking chair till the end, and could have gone in favour of anyone.

Nasser Hussain: Yeah, and I really think the main turning point in this game was Hayden's wicket. Until then it was looking like the Aussies would win this one.

David Gower: Yes Nasser. Hayden's wicket was crucial but Australia were losing wickets at regular intervals even when Hayden was playing.

Nasser Hussain: Yeah, and that put him under pressure, and he responded well by continuing to pick runs off the bowlers. But I think Paul Collingwood did a superb job as England's fifth bowler and a stage when the batsmen were really looking for scoring boundaries. Collingwood kept it tight and dint give any room to the batsmen. Superb stuff.

66ccar

66ccrc

66cefm

66cf86

66chld

66de84

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
David Gower: What a cracking game we've had here at the Rose Bowl with England coming out winners at the end. Australia seemed to be heading for victory before Collingwood produced a dream spell of three overs for just fifteen runs and bagging two wickets.

Well nows it time for the presentation ceremony with Bob Willis.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Bob Willis: Thanks very much David. Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen for this presentation ceremony for this dramatic Twenty20 match between England and Australia. England coming out winners at the end of a nail bitting encounter between the two teams.

I would like to call upon the Australian captain Ricky Ponting first.

Ricky, England win the first battle?

Ricky Ponting: Yeah they did win today, but I thought we had a great chance ourselves. It was good, this game, but I am sure it wont have that much of bearing in the 50 over and 5 day matches between the two sides.

Bob Willis: You got off to a good start but while Hayden was there almost till the end, wickets started falling at the other end?

Ricky Ponting: Yeah, we got off to a fantastic start and really the way we lost wickets after that good start was a disappointing. We had reached one stage when about seven runs per over would have got us home, but we still went for the big shots and ended up throwing away our wickets.

Bob Willis: Well bad luck Ricky Ponting, and all the best for the Natwest Series.

Now I would like to call upon the winning captain Michael Vaughan.

Michael, a good start to Twenty20 cricket for your team.

Michael Vaughan: Yeah a fantastic start. Good to get off with a win, and I think everyone, the players, the fans enjoyed this game, and for us its good to have won it at the end. I thought Flintoff, Jones and Collingwood bowled really well at a crucial stage and won the game for us. Otherwise the Aussies were looking like they were going to reach the target well within the 20 overs.

Bob Willis: And looking forward the Natwest Series now, how much a role will this winning start play?

Michael Vaughan: Well I dont think it'll have much effect, but yes its good to win, keeps the confidence high, and we will be looking forward to getting off to a winning start in the NatWest Series as well against Bangladesh on Thursday at the Oval.

Bob Willis: Thanks Michael and now for the Man of the Match, and we have gone for Andrew Flintoff for his excellent performance with both ball and bat.

Well Andrew good game?

Andrew Flintoff: Yeah it was nice to play today. Nice to win, I know its only twenty20 but its always better to get a win under your belt, and we've done that. Now we'll have to concentrate on the NatWest Series and NatWest Challenge and hopefully we'll win both those trophies, just like we did in 2003.

Bob Willis: Well thats good to see Andrew Flintoff in a confident mood. Congratulations Andrew once again, and that concludes this presentation ceremony and this broadcast.

Dont forget to join us for the NatWest series first match between England and Bangladesh LIVE from the Brit Oval on Thursday. Till then Goodbye.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
excellent win for england at one stage it looked like australia would easily win

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Advantage England - How significant is England's Twenty20 win over Australia?

England are revelling in the aftermath of a rare win over Australia and players, pundits and punters are quick to call it an advantage.

The Rose Bowl success completes a clean sweep of England wins over Australia in all three formats of the game after victories on the last occasions the old foes met at one-day and Test level.

But if you think the tide is turning and the win marks a watershed in cricketing contests with the Ashes set to finally come home - think again.

While everyone says it was a wonderful England win after a pulsating performance in the field, they are all unanimous in saying the slap-dash slogfest in Southampton has no bearing on what is to come over the ensuing three months.

_40624290_ponting203.jpg

Disappointed but determined to bounce back - Ponting

"I don't think the result will do them any good and probably won't do us any harm," Aussie skipper Ponting said after the match.

_40621676_vaughan203.jpg

Good to win, but lets not get carried away says Vaughan

"It's nice to win, nice to beat Australia, but I wouldn't read too much into a Twenty20 victory," his opposite number Michael Vaughan added.

Only six of the England team are certain of a starting place in the Test series and many of Monday's heroes will be making way for others as the summer progresses.

So where are the positives from an England perspective?

Alec Stewart highlighted the confidence factor and Marcus Trescothick took delight in the performance, but both added firm notes of caution. "England will take confidence from the fact they know they can beat Australia in a form of cricket," former skipper Stewart told BBC Radio Five Live.

"But at the same time they know that 50-over cricket, and more importantly the Ashes series, will be completely different to what we saw at the Rose Bowl."

"It will give us an extra edge and it's more the performance than the victory that will give us that bonus," England opener Trescothick told BBC Radio Five Live before reaching for his 'but'.

"I don't think it will have much of a bearing on the Test series, because the two games are so completely different, and it may not have any resemblance on the one-day internationals - we'll have to wait and see."

And we will be awaiting the Australian reaction with interest as well. Ponting believes the result will make Australia "more determined" when next the teams meet and his vice-captain Adam Gilchrist said it was all about preparing for the bigger games ahead.

"England were fantastic and they caught Australia napping," Shane Warne admitted.

"But I'm sure we'll fight back and this is the right wake-up medicine.

"I don't think I have ever been associated with a series where there is so much hype. It's fantastic and England will now be hyping themselves up so much - the only way is down!"

It is likely the teams will meet in seven one-day matches as well as the five Tests - a potential 32 days of cricket.

The Rose Bowl crowd's taunting chant of 'Can we play you every day?' could yet come back to haunt them.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
The NatWest Series 2005

David Gower: Welcome to this special programme on this year's NatWest Series 2005.

section_natwest.gif

The NatWest Series has become an annual triangular ODI series held in England, in the middle of the English summer every year. As hosts, England have always been involved in the series have won the trophy twice, in 2000 and 2003.

This year the two other participating teams are Australia and Bangladesh. Australia have played this series once before in 2001, when they won it. Bangladesh are on their first ever visit tour to England, so this will be their first NatWest Series.

Lets have a look at the various winners of this prestigious NatWest Trophy.

2000- England beat Zimbabwe (Third Team: West Indies)
2001- Australia beat Pakistan (Third Team: England)
2002- India beat England (Third Team: Sri Lanka)
2003- England beat South Africa (Third Team: Zimbabwe)
2004- New Zealand beat West Indies (Third Team: England)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Flashback to 2004

David Gower: And now we will have a quick look at last year's NatWest Series involving England, West Indies and New Zealand.

June 24: England vs New Zealand at Old Trafford

England's day-night match against New Zealand has been abandoned following heavy rain at Old Trafford that prevented a single ball being bowled.
_40310295_ot_rain203.jpg
Result: Match Abandoned​

June 26: West Indies vs New Zealand at Edgbaston

Brian Lara's 36 off 22 balls proved to be meaningless as the West Indies' NatWest Series game with New Zealand was abandoned due to rain.

West Indies 122-4 (21 Overs), New Zealand 97-2 (13.4 Overs)

_40318313_laraoneday203.jpg
Result: Match Abandoned​

June 27: England vs West Indies at Trent Bridge

England crashed to a seven-wicket defeat at Trent Bridge after an inexperienced West Indies seam attack had bowled out the hosts for just 147.

Dwayne Bravo claimed his best haul in one-day internationals of 3-26 before Chris Gayle led his side to victory with an unbeaten 60.

England 147 (38.2 Overs), West Indies 148-3 (32.2 Overs)
_40320307_jonesindex.jpg
Result: West Indies won by seven wickets​

So after the first round of games in the group stage which were mainly marred by bad weather, it was West Indies who were top of the table with 9 points, with New Zealand second with 6 points, and England bottom with 3 points.​

So a bad start for England, losing to West Indies in the third game. Can they fight back and make it to the finals in the second and third round of matches?​

All that after the break. Do stay tuned.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread