England's ODI squad

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
20's not that bad an average for a number 7 in a pretty poor batting team recently, especially when they're playing in the completely incorrect position. Better than anyone else has managed to do in that position. Bopara would be in the top order in my team but can't see that ever happening.

I personally think Bopara + Ali + Root as the 5th bowler is more than suitable.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bopara is technically accomplished and a fine ball striker. I'm not sure I'd pick him but the idea that he fundamentally isn't good enough to do a top order job is ludicrous.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I'm not saying that he's not a good player. At domestic level he's a brilliant batsman, but at International level, he just isn't. He's batted everywhere in the order from 1-8 and not shown anything really. His best positions are averaging 30 at a strike rate in the 70s, which isn't good enough for numbers 4-6. As I've said, if someone wants to show me all these great innings, then I'll reconsider, but it hasn't happened yet.

Re: him averaging 20 and that being "not bad for a number 7", I'd back Stokes or Woakes to average that and be better bowlers, so where's the value in Bopara being at 7? He's had plenty of chances and not shown enough, time to move on. We have talented guys in County Cricket, they just need opportunities.

PokerAce

Banned
Guys as a cricket fan who has had a long look at the Eng Side over the summer once again this is the side you want to go with -

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Morgan
Ali
Butler
Broad
Woakes
Tredwell
Anderson

Its the perfect mix of builders and players who can hit out, and with Tredwell, who can hit a few at 10, easily one the deepest batting line of all teams. Moenn Ali is your 5th bowler, and Root can chip with a few if required. Its the most balanced the Eng side can be. Stick with this team, it will do well. I am not saying it will win the WC, because no one can say a particular side will definitely win the WC. However this is Eng's best shot I feel.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I haven't really kept track of Bopara in the last few years but the whole England method has been to send in Cook/Trott/Bell to knock the ball around and fortify their batting averages free of the pressure of having to score quickly, and then rely on high risk slogging from good ball strikers at the end of the innings to make back all the runs they didn't score while the top order was dawdling.

The difference between being given a top order job or a lower middle order job with the bat is enormous in that scenario, and I don't think it's a lack of ability that has put Bopara down the order. Maybe Bopara doesn't have quite the stickability of Trott/Cook/Bell, but the real ability gap works the other way around : Trott/Cook/Bell are literally not good enough to just come in at the end and hit boundaries in the final overs but Bopara is, and as a result the crappier ball strikers always get the chance to build an innings and he usually doesn't.

bigred

Club Captain
I'm not saying that he's not a good player. At domestic level he's a brilliant batsman, but at International level, he just isn't. He's batted everywhere in the order from 1-8 and not shown anything really. His best positions are averaging 30 at a strike rate in the 70s, which isn't good enough for numbers 4-6. As I've said, if someone wants to show me all these great innings, then I'll reconsider, but it hasn't happened yet.

Re: him averaging 20 and that being "not bad for a number 7", I'd back Stokes or Woakes to average that and be better bowlers, so where's the value in Bopara being at 7? He's had plenty of chances and not shown enough, time to move on. We have talented guys in County Cricket, they just need opportunities.

Just looked up Bopara's performances in the champions trophy as I wanted to see what he did during a global tournament.

1st game v Australia - hit 46 batting at 6 with only a few over to go.
2nd game v Sri Lanka - hit quick 33 batting at 7
3rd game v New Zealand - batted down the order again and didn't score many. 2-19 with ball though. Remember him doing a good job.
4th game vs South Africa - doesn't bat
Final v India - quick 30 at 6 then bags 3 wickets.

For the position England play him in I think that's a good effort.

Guys as a cricket fan who has had a long look at the Eng Side over the summer once again this is the side you want to go with -

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Morgan
Ali
Butler
Broad
Woakes
Tredwell
Anderson

Its the perfect mix of builders and players who can hit out, and with Tredwell, who can hit a few at 10, easily one the deepest batting line of all teams. Moenn Ali is your 5th bowler, and Root can chip with a few if required. Its the most balanced the Eng side can be. Stick with this team, it will do well. I am not saying it will win the WC, because no one can say a particular side will definitely win the WC. However this is Eng's best shot I feel.

No thanks. That team has 3 seamers for an Australian WC. You must be joking. 6 bowlers, 2 of whom are part time spinners. This will not be the starting 11.

PokerAce

Banned
Just looked up Bopara's performances in the champions trophy as I wanted to see what he did during a global tournament.

1st game v Australia - hit 46 batting at 6 with only a few over to go.
2nd game v Sri Lanka - hit quick 33 batting at 7
3rd game v New Zealand - batted down the order again and didn't score many. 2-19 with ball though. Remember him doing a good job.
4th game vs South Africa - doesn't bat
Final v India - quick 30 at 6 then bags 3 wickets.

For the position England play him in I think that's a good effort.

No thanks. That team has 3 seamers for an Australian WC. You must be joking. 6 bowlers, 2 of whom are part time spinners. This will not be the starting 11.

See thats the thing, 3 seamers 2 spinners is a very balanced attack for modern ODIs. Just because its Australia how many seamers are you going to play - 5? In ODIs spinners have a vital role, especially if the opposition gets off toa good start and you need to take the pace off the ball. You are not going there to play tests, ODIs have a different dynamics.

War

Chairman of Selectors
See thats the thing, 3 seamers 2 spinners is a very balanced attack for modern ODIs. Just because its Australia how many seamers are you going to play - 5? In ODIs spinners have a vital role, especially if the opposition gets off toa good start and you need to take the pace off the ball. You are not going there to play tests, ODIs have a different dynamics.

If the two spinners were Swann/Giles maybe ENG could try that, but ENG ODI spin options led by Tredwell are just serviceable thus it would be a risk to Tredwell/Ali as part of a 5-man attack in AUS conditions.

Ali is a 6th bowler at best still. Stokes will play, since ENG won't play Ali/Ballance in the same team.

Users who are viewing this thread