England's tour of India (Nov '16/Feb '17)

Haven't seen anything special from PP. But he can be handy when the team is collapsing and we need a quick fire. But where does he fit into? He is basically an opener and we already have two solid openers.

He played decently in this season of Ranji so far...

This recall for Parthiv Patel tells me that selectors don't trust Rishabh Pant the wicket-keeper as of yet. I can also totally understand that decision because it is not easy keeping wickets to the likes of Ashwin and Jadeja and Parthiv is much more experienced in that department plus he has kept wickets to Kumble and Harbhajan in the past and has been in a decent nick so far in Ranji trophy.

Out of no where Parthiv Patel? Like really?

Quote from espnCricInfo on why PP was chosen over others-

ESPNcricinfo understands that Parthiv, 31, was ahead of other candidates to fill Saha's role because he offers the option of a left-hand batsman. Also, it is understood that the selectors felt it was too early to hand a debut to the 19-year-old Rishabh Pant, who has hit a triple-hundred for Delhi this Ranji Trophy season and smashed a 48-ball ton in a game in which he scored twin centuries.

The other big contender was Madhya Pradesh's Naman Ojha, who played the last Test that Saha missed. Ojha missed the start of the Ranji Trophy with injury. However, he did play MP's last match.

Tamil Nadu's Dinesh Karthik, who has also had a good recent run with the bat, is believed to have lost to Parthiv because of the latter's better glove work and the left-hand batting variation.

Parthiv Patel has grown leaps and bounds as a batsman and a keeper in the last few years. He has learned to lead the team from the front as a captain and he was the reason why Gujarat had a smooth transition when established performers for the team like Siddharth Trivedi, Ashraf Makda, Azhar Bilakhia (he was quite consistent with Gujarat before he moved) and Bhavik Thaker amongst others left the team. I have a lot of respect for him as a leader. Perhaps its a big call but his captainship is pretty much like Ganguly - fearless. Obviously he is nowhere near as talented as Dada but Parthiv is certainly one man to rely on. He can surely bat ahead of Ashwin and looking at current form of Rahane, at #5. He has had enough experience in the lower middle order so having him just as an opener not the only option. On the contrary, I believe he will be more beneficial at #5 or #6 because he will give a left handed variety to the middle order consisting of only right handers. Furthermore, he is a batsman to take his time to settle and then start batting aggressively and we have Ashwin and Jayant to give him ample support in the lower order so I believe he is the best option there.

Parthiv is however, just a stop-gap solution. Its clear by his selection and having Pant on standby ignoring Samson that selectors are looking for left hand variety unless we have a solid right handed wkb which is obviously not the case. This should set alarm bells ringing a bit for Saha who is otherwise a very good batsman and a decent keeper having not done much at the test level. Also, I don't agree that Saha should be sent ahead of Ashwin at this point because he has been a walking wicket of late. Its really the runs that matters at the end of the day for the team. The one who is scoring should obviously bat ahead. If we really need to boost up Saha, a good way would be to promote him when India is in a commanding position in the second innings (batting) and quick runs are required. That will give him the confidence that the team believes in him. Coming back to Pant, the selectors obviously doesn't think he is ready as a WK at the moment which is right thinking. He's just 19 and its not that we don't have other options (Ojha, Patel, Saha) so its better for both Indian cricket and Pant to let him get some FC experience and improve his WK skills. That would make him a long term option for India.

This recall for Parthiv Patel tells me that selectors don't trust Rishabh Pant the wicket-keeper as of yet. I can also totally understand that decision because it is not easy keeping wickets to the likes of Ashwin and Jadeja and Parthiv is much more experienced in that department plus he has kept wickets to Kumble and Harbhajan in the past and has been in a decent nick so far in Ranji trophy.

He has kept to Kumble and Harby in the past but not very successfully. I can clearly remember his keeping having cost us the test at Sydney and Chennai in 2004 against Australia. His keeping is mediocre. His return will be another Gambhir-like situation. I would`ve opted for Naman Ojha who did little wrong when he was chosen last time. If not, some of the younger keepers would have been a much better bet. Going back a decade seems to be the new thing with the BCCI. I`m sure they wish they could go back a decade when it comes to the Lodha committee situation as well.

Buttler seems a WAY better option than Duckett. Duckett's technique against spin is crappy. Even though Buttler hasn't played red ball cricket in a year, he sounds a better option over Duckett and Gary Ballance. Both Duckett and Buttler are aggressive, Buttler seems to have a better technique against spin as he displayed aganist Pakistan in the UAE in 2015. I'd rather have Buttler keeper than Bairstow. Bairstow is just not grabbing those chances, but he is a better batsman than Buttler. For the boeling, I think Ansari should be dropped for Gareth Batty, Batty has experience that Ansari doesn't have, and off spin troubled Indian batsmen, with Moeen Ali.

India: Bhuvi back, but it's a very tough choice whether Shami or Yadav should be dropped. There's Jayant Yadav who could be dropped, but his performance seemed good enough to let him stay otherwise. Depending on the pitch, I'd go with the same side, but if the surface is good for seamers, then it would make sense of Bhuvi to come into the side.

I would even play 3 seamers and opt for Bhuvi ahead of Jayant/Jadeja if it aids seam.

He has kept to Kumble and Harby in the past but not very successfully. I can clearly remember his keeping having cost us the test at Sydney and Chennai in 2004 against Australia. His keeping is mediocre. His return will be another Gambhir-like situation. I would`ve opted for Naman Ojha who did little wrong when he was chosen last time. If not, some of the younger keepers would have been a much better bet. Going back a decade seems to be the new thing with the BCCI. I`m sure they wish they could go back a decade when it comes to the Lodha committee situation as well.
A lot has changed in 12 years. Wake up!

Ojha has just returned from an injury. He needs time to get into his best again.

A lot has changed in 12 years

You're a PP supporter so I understand your point of view. But I've to disagree with you on this one. PP definitely wasn't the right choice in this case.

Quote from espnCricInfo on why PP was chosen over others-

ESPNcricinfo understands that Parthiv, 31, was ahead of other candidates to fill Saha's role because he offers the option of a left-hand batsman. Also, it is understood that the selectors felt it was too early to hand a debut to the 19-year-old Rishabh Pant, who has hit a triple-hundred for Delhi this Ranji Trophy season and smashed a 48-ball ton in a game in which he scored twin centuries.

The other big contender was Madhya Pradesh's Naman Ojha, who played the last Test that Saha missed. Ojha missed the start of the Ranji Trophy with injury. However, he did play MP's last match.

Tamil Nadu's Dinesh Karthik, who has also had a good recent run with the bat, is believed to have lost to Parthiv because of the latter's better glove work and the left-hand batting variation.
And it wasn't too late to bring Parthiv back?

I'm honestly just done with our selectors, persistence with Ishant, consistently picking Binny over Rishi, bringing back Gambhir to make us settle for Dhawan and now this shit. :clap

You're a PP supporter so I understand your point of view. But I've to disagree with you on this one. PP definitely wasn't the right choice in this case.
Yeah I support Parthiv but I'm not overly biased. As I mentioned earlier, Rishabh Pant seems to be in the radar of selectors for long term but currently he's not ready for a Test class wicket keeper's role.

Parthiv is however, just a stop-gap solution. Its clear by his selection and having Pant on standby ignoring Samson that selectors are looking for left hand variety unless we have a solid right handed wkb which is obviously not the case. This should set alarm bells ringing a bit for Saha who is otherwise a very good batsman and a decent keeper having not done much at the test level. Also, I don't agree that Saha should be sent ahead of Ashwin at this point because he has been a walking wicket of late. Its really the runs that matters at the end of the day for the team. The one who is scoring should obviously bat ahead. If we really need to boost up Saha, a good way would be to promote him when India is in a commanding position in the second innings (batting) and quick runs are required. That will give him the confidence that the team believes in him. Coming back to Pant, the selectors obviously doesn't think he is ready as a WK at the moment which is right thinking. He's just 19 and its not that we don't have other options (Ojha, Patel, Saha) so its better for both Indian cricket and Pant to let him get some FC experience and improve his WK skills. That would make him a long term option for India.

Surprised.

Would go with this:

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Patel
Pandya/Ashwin(won't surprise to see Hardik getting a debut as Mohali supports seam)
Ashwin/Jayant
Jayant/Jadeja/Bhuvi
Shami
Umesh

Users who are viewing this thread