Story Englands Tour Of The Sub-Continent (part 2)

So England start off the one day tournamant in reasonable mood despite their embarrasing defeat to Pakistan A. Pakistan win the toos and elect to bat first, something that had a sceptical Richie Benaud claiming we will have to wait and see if that was the right result. The pitch was hard, it was humid and there was a slight chance of rain. Jim Maxwell seemed to think that the pitch could decline as the match progresses. Skipper Michael Vaughan was still confident and claimed that his bowlers had spent extra time in the nets, and he had been working on a new, very containing field which was 8-2, he exclaimed that if the bowlers kept to the right lines and lengths he was quietly optimistic of keeping Pakistan to under 250 on this batting friendly wicket, with a lush outfield!

England couldnt have wished for a better start, Steve Harmison and James Anderson (Englands most potent fast strike bowlers on the tour so far) ripped through the top order, by the time Pakistan had scored 36 runs they were 5 down! Vaughan new field settings looked to be working a treat at this rate the score could be kept well below 100 runs. What England didnt expect was a middle order fighting performance, that arrived in the shape of Abdul Razzaqw and Shoaib Malik. They arrived at the crease and played positive from the off building a partnership of over 100 runs. However Pakistan were still on a low run rate and as they continued to play there shots both were run out after great throws from Marcus Trescothick on the boundry (dont know why tresco was out there:D ). So Pakistan had reached 158 for 7 by the time they wer both dismissed, England were once again in joyfull mood hopeing the tail wouldnt wag. Flintoff arrived for a short spell and picked up the next wicket wit a slower ball, Kahn attempting a backfoot drive which went straight to Paul Collingwood at cover. Richard Johnson then came back for his second spell, a lovely outswinger ripped Shoaib Aktars off stump from the ground, even tho it only just clipped it. Anderson's next ball of the next over, Umar Gul playing a back foot defensive, nicked the outside edge and Richard Johnson made a lovely diving catch which almost took him to the gully position.

Pakistan all out for 172 after 33 overs! England require 173 to win.

Pak_ScoreCard1.jpg
[/IMG]

Razzaq_Spider.jpg

Pak_Batt1_quan.jpg
[/IMG]

Pak_Part_Quan.jpg
[/IMG]

Pak_Part_Quan.jpg
[/IMG]

Malik_Runout.jpg
[/IMG]

Johnson_Catch1.jpg
[/IMG]

Johnson_Catch_2.jpg
[/IMG]

So England require 173 runs to win. England will have plenty of time to knock off the runs. Vaughan quickly stated in an ideal world he hopes both openers can go along as test run rates and complete the victory without loss of a wicket.

in reality england could have been clobbered by now and every body would want vaughan's neck :)

England make a good positive start with the opening partnership contributing over 50 runs before vaughan mistimes a leg glance and is given lbw. Thorpe fell to a similar stroke that was going miles doen the leg side. Very poor umpire'in decision. Still he put on a great 100 partnership with Trescothick. Trescothick played out of skin but got carried away and danced down the pitch a bit to earlier and Hafeez caught and bowled him. Then came abit of a collaspe but england battled home for the last few runs.

En_Scorecard.jpg
[/IMG]

En_Batt_Stats.jpg
[/IMG]

Pa_Bowl.jpg
[/IMG]

En_Part.jpg
[/IMG]

Thorpe_LBW.jpg
[/IMG]

Tresco_Charge.jpg
[/IMG]

Tresco_half_Cent.jpg
[/IMG]

Tresc_Cent.jpg
[/IMG]

Tres_Spider.jpg
[/IMG]

Good win, gas. Especially with Robert "Tub of Lard" Key in the team. :D Did you forget to replace him in your squad? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, well done for keeping them to that sort of score and good batting by Trescothick.

Looking forward to the next game. As this is round-robin, can we have league tables please?

er it hard to tell mate because it dosent tell me the score of the other games. How lame is that? All i can do is say who i have in the next round

Originally posted by The_gas
er it hard to tell mate because it dosent tell me the score of the other games. How lame is that? All i can do is say who i have in the next round

How lame? If it was a horse it would be shot! Pity as they can do that for the other 1-day style tournaments so they have the code in there already.

Bit like them not having proper batting / bowling stats for the tour like they do for the county championship and test series. You know - Vaughn has played 5 innings at an average of 35 with top score... etc.

Originally posted by FishBowlMan
How lame? If it was a horse it would be shot! Pity as they can do that for the other 1-day style tournaments so they have the code in there already.

Bit like them not having proper batting / bowling stats for the tour like they do for the county championship and test series. You know - Vaughn has played 5 innings at an average of 35 with top score... etc.

tell me about it! All we can hope is someone creates a fix for it (unlikely)! Im tempted to do a domestic english season so i can see stats, but i prefer to play with england! I like a mix of one dayers and tests!

Have you downloaded the new run out bug fix from sam?

I have, but I've not used it yet. With the fields I have set for test matches I don't really have the problem. Most run-outs occur by batsmen taking a risky 3.

I'm sure I will use it when I play some 1-day games. How are you finding the patch?

Originally posted by FishBowlMan
I have, but I've not used it yet. With the fields I have set for test matches I don't really have the problem. Most run-outs occur by batsmen taking a risky 3.

I'm sure I will use it when I play some 1-day games. How are you finding the patch?

well i have started another match, i lost the toss and was put into bat, but after i shortly update my story i will find out so ill let you know!

Second game V New Zeland at Karachi.

Hard Pitch, Humid, Great Chance Of Rain.

New Zealand win the toss and elect to field first, not a bad decision considering the conditions however the pitch looks as if it will wear quickly so getting first use of it could be essential. England pick a virtually unchanged team except for the inclusion of Ricky Clarke at Thorpe's expense, Vaughan stating the although Thorpe is one of Englands best batsmen he was looking for a more all roung player who can bowl a bit as well as field.

Englands openers make a steady start in the first 4 overs picking up mainly singles down the ground. A few over later Vaughan gets into stride smashing multiple cover drivers, makeing the bowlers pay for overpitching. Trescothick at the other end picking up ones and two's looks a little rusty considering his performance so far on the tour, however they manage to build a partnership of 50. Harris bowled very well, the humid conditions suited his slow pace as he trapped 5 england batsmen LBW. New Zeland's bowling was far from perfect giving many wides, and a couple of byes which the keeper should have taken. Several England batsmen made helpfull contributions without scoring heavily, Clarke immpressed on his first game. He was left with the tail but made a respectable 30. Anderson and harmison also added a nice ending partnership.

England sacore 293 from 50 overs, leaving NZ 294 to win.

Vaughan's Cover Drive

Vaughan_cover_drive.jpg
[/IMG]

Vaughans LBW

Vaugh_Lbw.jpg
[/IMG]

Vauan_Spider.jpg
[/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread