English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Simon Jones plays his first first-class game in over 2 years. Looks like Notts are going to be done by the weather.

Great to see. I know he's kicking on now but if he can bowl anything like he did in that season he had for Worcestershire in 2008 he could possibly get back into the England team.

All dependent on how bad the injury has effected him but his reverse swing would be extremely useful for the current England lineup.

Finally some play; Notts are doing very well but I can't see them taking twenty wickets in a day and a half.

Got to hope for other results now.

Themer added 1 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Also Mahmood's completely lost his pace or atleast he has in this match. Barely getting it above 80mph.

So much that could happen over the next two days. Somerset need to win I think, to be able to pull this off. Too much of a risk of Yorkshire winning to play for the draw and I wouldn't bet against Lancashire agreeing to a run chase to give Notts a chance of winning either. I think it's going to be tight either way though.

Once again Hildreth scoring important runs for Somerset. He has to be close to getting into the England squad at some point in the future.

Themer added yonks later...

Simon Jones has bowled 20 overs in his first match back. Thats quite a load when he hasn't played for two years although he won't have any matches after this one. I'm backing him to get back into the England team if he still has his pace and reverse tis just what England need on flat surfaces.

Themer added a trifle later still...

Bell's continuing his form and the great Hughes once again fails.

Last edited:
4/60 after not playing in 4 years? I would say he still has it in him.

This could come down to whether Lancs want to gift-wrap a championship for Notts or not. Hopefully Kent will keep fighting against Yorkshire, although ideally, we'd be knocking over Durham to win. That's going to be a struggle though, with Di Venuto and Benkenstein and Blackwell to come. Just hope one of our bowlers comes up with something special first thing tomorrow morning.

Yorkshire having a mare, Somerset being held up by Durham and there will be play at Old Trafford.

Surely we can't come back to knick this now?

Bonus points make it interesting. As Somerset have full bonus points, Notts may get max batting points, but miss out on the 3 bowling points, which means, if both draw games, Somerset will win by a point in the Championship.

Worth noting that Kent's inevitable victory over Yorkshire will still see them relegated as Warks look like beating Hants, as Hants are 4 runs behind with 2 2nd innings wickets left.

As it is now Notts need to score 400 to get the max batting points. Then they'll need to get three Lancashire wickets to get enough points to be level with Somerset thus winning the title.

Certainly possible but they'll need to score at around 5 an over to give them about 15 overs to bowl at Lancs.

Ofcourse this all goes out of the window should Somerset win.

Come on the Notts!

Patel looks a class act against spin, amazing hitting here and its really starting to give us a proper chance.

It's pretty exciting to follow this final day of the County Championship. Yorkshire are already out of it. Nottinghamshire and Somerset are left to win it. Somerset has only one wicket left to take against Durham and they will be a target around 180-190 runs.

Now they've bowled out Durham. 181 runs to get in 16 overs for Somerset.

Somerset need 180 from 16 overs (I think they said 16). Going to be one hell of a chase their. Need Kieswetter and Trescothick to really fire for them to get there.

And Notts lose another wicket. Still need 35 to get the bonus point required to give us any chance.

A correction: it's 181 runs from 17 overs to get. Cricinfo is mentioning it on their frontpage.

As it is now Notts need to score 400 to get the max batting points. Then they'll need to get three Lancashire wickets to get enough points to be level with Somerset thus winning the title.

Certainly possible but they'll need to score at around 5 an over to give them about 15 overs to bowl at Lancs.

Ofcourse this all goes out of the window should Somerset win.

Come on the Notts!

Yup, I think it's Somersets title. Though I assume Notts have loads of overs left due to the rain, so if they can eek out another 40 runs and declare and then try and take 3 wickets, they can be tied and will win on matches won.

181 in 16 overs? I wouldn't bet against it!

Users who are viewing this thread