English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Luiz deserve it though? He's good going forward, but he's a CB, he was poor yesterday defensively and was somewhat lucky not to get sent off for that tackle at the end.

I'd like to see Cahill-Ivanovic in the centre with Azpilicueta on the right. I still see Ivanovic as a CB, and Azpilicueta looks a cracking player.

Well yes that would be a good suggestion as well. Azpilicueta could very well have an instant impact whenever he starts like Oscar has this week. But the sooner Terry becomes a bench player the better.

The moment you appointed Hughton was the moment I was able to categorically state that Norwich will be getting relegated this season. Sorry, but it's going to be a very long year for you guys.

Why was that? He's been successful as a manager wherever he's been, there's no real reason why we should be suddenly relegated with him in charge. He really was the outstanding candidate of those in the running in June.

Because he was a dreadful coach at Spurs. Getting rid of him was a major reason we actually started improving. Just quite how well has he done? He got a Newcastle team promoted and took them to mid-table ish... A Newcastle team that have subsequently finished top 6 and got stronger and stronger. They replaced him because they knew he wasn't good enough to take them further, and they were justified by the subsequent improvements under Pardew.

Oh, and the fact he was cack at Birmingham...

Because he was a dreadful coach at Spurs. Getting rid of him was a major reason we actually started improving. Just quite how well has he done? He got a Newcastle team promoted and took them to mid-table ish... A Newcastle team that have subsequently finished top 6 and got stronger and stronger. They replaced him because they knew he wasn't good enough to take them further, and they were justified by the subsequent improvements under Pardew.

Oh, and the fact he was cack at Birmingham...

I'll admit that I think I could have got Newcastle promoted, but he did what he was asked to do. Pardew isn't that great. It's more likely the excellent scouting at Newcastle that's made them better.

He wasn't cack at all at Birmingham. He got a team, under a transfer embargo with a tiny squad and a ridiculous schedule, to the play-offs. That was a great achievement.

I still think we'll stay up though. There are 3 terms worse than us. It will just take that first win, like it did last year.

You mean he got a team that had been in the Premiership to the play-offs? Result :p

You mean he got a team that had been in the Premiership to the play-offs? Result :p

You obviously didn't pay much attention to the Championship last season. Getting Birmingham to the play-offs was miraculous.

That was far from convincing from us today but a win is a win. I thought the red card was deserved, but the Utd player should also have at least got a yellow, he did go in a bit recklessly as well. Maybe because Shelvey actually made contact, that's why he had to go.

Shame a few idiot fans on both sides had to spoil everything, but at least the vast majority behaved themselves.

Really enjoyable game at the Utd Stadium - no idea how Arsenal didn't win that! They had so many chances to put the game to bed. Still, that puts us one point off the lead, and three clear of City. :)

----------

Just see on sky sports news footage after the match of utd
fans signing about Liverpool.!!
"Where's your famous Munich song"
"It's never your fault"
Murderers murderers. !!

Banter..!

Supposedly, the Utd fans were set off by a couple of idiots who had to go and make 'Munich' gestures in front of them at the end of the game. That's beyond banter for me - as is anything about Hillsborough.

You obviously didn't pay much attention to the Championship last season. Getting Birmingham to the play-offs was miraculous.

Yes, what a hero he was for struggling through a year with much the same squad as the one that was good enough to remain in the Prem for years before and had won the league cup previously... Miraculous :lol

----------

His only miracle was getting Marlon King to not punch women in the face.

Yes, what a hero he was for struggling through a year with much the same squad as the one that was good enough to remain in the Prem for years before and had won the league cup previously... Miraculous :lol

----------

His only miracle was getting Marlon King to not punch women in the face.

Rubbish. 12 players left Birmingham after relegation, 5 of which would have been in the first team. Add to that the transfer embargo which meant Hughton wasn't able to improve his squad in January, and the Europa League meaning they had to play a ridiculous number of games.

So a squad containing -

Myhill,
Carr,
Ridgewell,
Caldwell,
Burke,
King,
Zigic,

Wasn't good enough? Better than the squad Norwich came up with :p

Oh, and the Europa league is not an excuse. He did an average job there, nothing more, nothing less... certainly not "miraculous."

Gervinho wasn't quite good TBH. Cazorla looked good, and Arsenal's defence seems to have improved.

Yeah that's the same old Gervinho we saw. He looked to have the form he showed at Lille and with Ivory Coast, but that's last season's Gervinho we saw. Poor finishing, fairly poor dribbling and poor passes. I'd like to see Podolski-Giroud-Ox next week, he can have a chance off the bench, then get his form back with a start in the CL.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll come back to form soon enough. We definitely would've won that with him on form.

Also our three CBs are looking the most solid in the league. All deserve to start, I'd probably say Mertesacker is looking like first choice atm. Sagna will have to fight to earn his place as well, Jenkinson was great. He's done it against weaker opposition and now the champions, he is really consistent is seems. Mannone made the one mistake, but it wasn't as bad as Szczesny's. Overall he put in a good performance. Szczesny is back in a couple of weeks I think, if Mannone keeps up his current form he should hold onto the gloves.

Walcott is useless, glad to see Wenger is finally looking to get rid.

Thought his standards had slipped against Sunderland in the last game when he played quite negatively tbh. Played far too many balls sideways and backwards. His pass completion rate was high but it wasn't a great game for him. However, he was back to his usual self yesterday. I especially like how he got forward quite a few times which we haven't seen much from him so far. As Rodgers has said, he'll be part of the 2 in the 3 man midfield once Lucas comes back and I'm pretty excited about it. He's becoming a real fan favorite and I think he's already become my 2nd favorite player!

Here's some Stevie G for you as well. Love him!

Last edited by a moderator:
The useless carling/capital one cup starts 2moro, hooray! :facepalm

----------

Walcott is useless, glad to see Wenger is finally looking to get rid.

I know Walcott gets some fair stick due to his inconsistency, but i think he makes a fair point here about wanting to play as a striker.

BBC Sport - Arsenal's Theo Walcott says new deal dependent on striking role

Fact is though, Walcott came up from Southampton as a striker. Even when he scored that hat-trick for England that was always his strong point and it true that for years he being played out wide for the Gunners in an unfavourable positions.

The same things seems to be happening to Sturridge as Chelsea, so maybe we should consider that before we criticize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread