English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out that Liverpool were not particularly good yesterday. They were just better than the tosh we put out.

lol. Everton are still merely a dark horse for a top 4 spot. there is basically no chance of getting near the title.

we are only two long term injuries away from being a midtable side.

Any team other than Chelsea, United and City will need a lot of luck to win the title. Injuries are a part of that luck. If we're assuming you'll finish the season as well as you usually do, there's every chance you could be in with a sniff.

I didn't put Liverpool in there as they aren't complete at all for me, the lack of a proper striker is an even more gaping hole than the one in Utd's midfield. All other teams look decent.

Going back to what Sir Alex was saying about stoppage time, he has a point. It's ridiculous that the stoppage time is still down to the referee.

So, what I say is this: Why not stop the bloody clock altogether for things like injuries, goals, throw ins, corners etc - and come down harder when a team is obviously wasting time - like taking forever to take a set piece and stuff like that.

This isn't to begrudge Spurs their victory - they deserved it, we didn't get off the coach for the first half! It's simply to try and find a way to put an end to the problems that 'stoppage time' causes. We don't have it in rugby - they stop the clock - and the system works perfectly.

----------

Any team other than Chelsea, United and City will need a lot of luck to win the title. Injuries are a part of that luck. If we're assuming you'll finish the season as well as you usually do, there's every chance you could be in with a sniff.

I didn't put Liverpool in there as they aren't complete at all for me, the lack of a proper striker is an even more gaping hole than the one in Utd's midfield. All other teams look decent.

Not to mention the gaping hole in our defence now, thanks to all the goddamn injuries!

It should be fine now with Smalling back soon.

I reckon every extra second should be accounted for as opposed to stopping the clock entirely. Just measure the length of every stoppage, not hard at all for an assistant.

Going back to what Sir Alex was saying about stoppage time, he has a point. It's ridiculous that the stoppage time is still down to the referee.

So, what I say is this: Why not stop the bloody clock altogether for things like injuries, goals, throw ins, corners etc - and come down harder when a team is obviously wasting time - like taking forever to take a set piece and stuff like that.

This isn't to begrudge Spurs their victory - they deserved it, we didn't get off the coach for the first half! It's simply to try and find a way to put an end to the problems that 'stoppage time' causes. We don't have it in rugby - they stop the clock - and the system works perfectly.

----------

Not to mention the gaping hole in our defence now, thanks to all the goddamn injuries!

because the games will be about 50% longer that way. ball is only in play for about 60-65 minutes per game.

The only reason ferguson still goes on about stuff like this is to deflect attention away from his own team's failings. How people still fall for it and debate whatever issues he raises is beyond me really.

----------

yeh but another problem for us would be that even if we were to somehow be in the top 2-3 and within 4 points or so of top nearing the end of january, city or someone would just come in with a ridiculous bid for Fellini.

because the games will be about 50% longer that way. ball is only in play for about 60-65 minutes per game.

The only reason ferguson still goes on about stuff like this is to deflect attention away from his own team's failings. How people still fall for it and debate whatever issues he raises is beyond me really.

----------

yeh but another problem for us would be that even if we were to somehow be in the top 2-3 and within 4 points or so of top nearing the end of january, city or someone would just come in with a ridiculous bid for Fellini.

----------

Ste is spot on. Football matches would take forever if the clock was stopped for stoppages.

Ste is spot on. Football matches would take forever if the clock was stopped for stoppages.

Fair point.

We need consistent guidelines then - so it's fair for everyone whether it's Man Utd or Macclesfield, Spurs or Stevenage. No one here can argue with the fact that stoppage times are very inconsistent?

----------

It should be fine now with Smalling back soon.

I reckon every extra second should be accounted for as opposed to stopping the clock entirely. Just measure the length of every stoppage, not hard at all for an assistant.

I don't see why they don't do that then, instead of making 'guesses', as they appear to now.

Stoppage times are inconsistent, but the only reason Fergie is making a fuss is because stoppage time usually helps United. It's pretty much fine as is. I'm sure Macclesfield and Stevenage aren't as good as Man Utd in stoppage time.

If it happens, it'll be yet more of the FA brown nosing Fergie.

----------

Jack played 60 minutes yesterday, really happy for him. Hopefully with Diaby's injury he isn't rushed though.

Diaby is great and gives us someone big and strong in the middle, but a midfield of Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla is on another level... We'd never lose the ball. Diaby dwells on the ball for a bit too long and has a habit of giving the ball away. Our midfield play would step up a notch with an in form Jack.

Stoppage times are inconsistent, but the only reason Fergie is making a fuss is because stoppage time usually helps United. It's pretty much fine as is. I'm sure Macclesfield and Stevenage aren't as good as Man Utd in stoppage time.

If it happens, it'll be yet more of the FA brown nosing Fergie.

No. the only reason he is making a fuss is because now everybody is talking about this nonsense and not the fact his team can't defend for toffee.

The logistics and implementation of stoppage time could definitely be improved, but it's okay as it is. they are far far bigger issues to sort out than something this trivial.

Would be funny if a manager complained about stoppage time after they'd just won 5-0.

Did some googling and came up with this stuff!

Liverpool players' weekly wages in GBP:

Gerrard 140k
Joe Cole 130
Suarez 120
Glen Johnson 100
Reina 80
Carroll 80
Agger 80
Downing 75
Sahin 70
Doni 65
Lucas 60
Skrtel 60
Borini 50
Allen 45
Coates 25
Assaidi 20
Yesil 15
Kelly 15
Flanagan 15
Shelvey 10
Robinson 10

Couldn't gather info on the following players' weekly wages - Henderson, Enrique, Jones, Sterling, Carragher, Suso, Pacheco, Wilson, Sama, Gulacsi.

Joe Cole's the second highest paid player at Liverpool. While Downing and Doni (who's in Brazil with his family) earn more than Sahin and Lucas/Skrtel respectively.

Carroll's loaned for the time being and hence has been marked in italics.

b0vm1y

No wonder this article that I'd linked earlier in this thread consistently bashed Joe Cole and Roy Hodgson.

Football and Finance, Liverpool and the Top Six | The Tomkins Times | News, Opinion, Statistics and Discussion about Liverpool FC Football Club

Well, if you exclude the ?49.6m stadium costs, we made a loss of ?0.3m, so where the hell did it all go? Manager termination costs and wages, or Roy Hodgson and Joe Cole if you want an exact personification. Cue the dreaded wages to turnover figure.

Tomorrow's game(City v Sunderland) is apparently being telecasted here live on ESPN2, can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread