English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters
He's more like Saha circa 2006, who was almost equally as frustrating in front of goal but he brought the best out of others with his dynamic running.

joveticshirtfinall.ashx

Why the hell is he standing like that:lol.

I always liked this guy,he seems to be the talents that can play back & forward,he doesn't look the strongest in statistics,but he can play the well enough I guess regardless if he's a prat or rat.

I always liked this guy,he seems to be the talents that can play back & forward,he doesn't look the strongest in statistics,but he can play the well enough I guess regardless if he's a prat or rat.

City's best signing of the summer IMO. All are pretty underwhelming and remind me of last season's signings somewhat. But this guy once he improves certain aspects of his game and settles into the league could be one of the best in the league. It helps that he actually knows English before coming as well, it should make his transition much smoother.

I see him as a good, more long term replacement for Tevez. Negredo is Balotelli's replacement and certainly not Tevez's.

He is obviously neither a prat nor a rat.

@Epic: Fair enough, poor form from the City photographers for choosing that photo:p.

Either way I stand straight when one of my feet is on a step;).

Good to see a new football fan who actually seems English!

Sorry to tell you though most people here support teams in the PL, but still you should still have a fine discussion here.

haha cheers mate .

As for jovetic , its safe to assume he was bought as a cheaper option to Cavani after they missed out cos PSG are moneycrazy at the moment.

City's best signing of the summer IMO. All are pretty underwhelming and remind me of last season's signings somewhat. But this guy once he improves certain aspects of his game and settles into the league could be one of the best in the league. It helps that he actually knows English before coming as well, it should make his transition much smoother.

I see him as a good, more long term replacement for Tevez. Negredo is Balotelli's replacement and certainly not Tevez's.

He is obviously neither a prat nor a rat.

Do they really? I actually think we've done well thus far, have secured the "top target" on 2 occasions - Fernandinho and Navas, and have settled for decent to good options on the other 2 occasions where we've failed to secure the top target - Negredo after missing out on Cavani and Jovetic after missing out on Isco.

Yeah City have bought well in this window tbh, albeit overpaying for Fernandinho and Negredo, but then, money isn't really an issue for them. ;)

------------Negredo----------Aguero--------------
-----------Silva-------------Jovetic--------------
--------Yaya Toure---------Fernandinho------

-------------------Aguero--------------------
Silva------------Jovetic--------------Navas--
-----------Yaya---------Fernandinho---

Loving what Pellegrini has done so far - made City very tactically versatile. That's his traditional 4-2-2-2 along with City's 4-2-3-1 from last year. Both looking devastating upfront. No more of the trash that is Milner and Barry in the XI either (:p).

Basically a high quality LB away from being firm favorites for the league title.

Last edited:
Do they really? I actually think we've done well thus far, have secured the "top target" on 2 occasions - Fernandinho and Navas, and have settled for decent to good options on the other 2 occasions where we've failed to secure the top target - Negredo after missing out on Cavani and Jovetic after missing out on Isco.

None of them will take city up to another level I feel.

Navas may have recovered from his homesickness problems, but when you've got chronic homesickness for almost all your life I'm certain it won't completely go away after a year or two. He had trouble leaving Sevilla and going to other parts of Spain, Manchester is a whole different proposition. Navas isn't someone I've particularly fancied ever. We were linked to him last season and I didn't really want him to give you an idea. He is a great crosser but barring that he is quite limited and last season wasn't his best. He needs a great target man in the middle to be putting them away and I don't think either Negredo or Dzeko are great. I think he can do well but he isn't going to make an impact like say Silva, Toure and Aguero made early in their Man City careers, and City need someone to provide that.

Negredo is very flaky, and even when on top form is quite limited and still misses chances. He has goalscoring patches. While that should be less of a problem at a club like Man City with numerous strikers, he still isn't a satisfying improvement at all and doesn't add much to the squad.

I don't know a whole lot about Fernandinho admittedly, I've only seen him play in the CL and while he was very good, I don't think a Brazilian coming from Ukraine is going to settle quickly. Plus them Brazilians seem to really fall away around 30 and he's close to that...

Jovetic is good but again not going to take City to another level just yet. Last season wasn't his best like for Navas and he still has numerous parts of his game which he must improve. I think he will be an amazing player in time, though. I don't think he'll get the game time he needs just yet though. He plays by far his best atm behind the striker and could develop into a striker later on, but I think he'll end up getting more game time on the wings this season.

City still favourites for the title though, David Moyes will struggle and Chelsea haven't strengthened much.

Funny how everyone is writing off David Moyes before the season has even got underway. Why should he struggle? He's a very good manager who did good things with Everton on a shoestring budget. Furthermore, he's still got all the players who blew away the league last year and there are bound to be more coming in.

Go ahead and write us off - we all remember how it ended the last time we were written off like this. 95/96 I believe it was - Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince all sold; everyone thought Fergie had lost it; thrashed 3-0 on the opening day by Villa and 'you can't win anything with kids'...

Yep. We all know how that turned out. ;) Utd like being written off; it fires them up. ;)

He's already struggling. Making bids for Fabregas when he knows it won't work (hence why he's even talking about it!) just to appease fans. Telling Rooney he is a back-up publicly.

This guy is a good manager but he doesn't know how to manage a big club like Man Utd. In terms of his power of bringing players to the club, he is a million times weaker than Ferguson. Hell Laudrup is a more attractive manager to play under at Swansea!

Ferguson squeezed out results for you, like last season with clear flaws evident in the team. Moyes won't be able to do that simply because he isn't the best like Fergie was.

You think he was the wrong man? Who would you have gone with? I have to admit, you have a point about his man-management of the Rooney situation.

Users who are viewing this thread