English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters
Very unfortunate, but going back to the game, got to thank our supporters for clapping him off the field, more often than not football fans explicit ---- behavior in similar situations.
I disagree. I very rarely see players not clapped off when they are stretchered off or have a serious injury. Obviously there's a minority who will chant abuse, at every club and ground, but serious injuries are one of the few times supporters put their feelings on the match to one side. I don't think it's something those fans should be specifically praised for.

I feel sorry for Rodriguez. He'd had a good season and was close to being a cert for a World Cup spot. I guess it's back to Welbeck.

Last edited:
Yet more bollocks served up by turd-peddler extraordinaire martin samuels.

We had 3-4 players on loan the other year. Nobody said anything because we were not doing well.

Shoehorning in immigration and the welfare state into an article on football so heavy0handedly shows exactly what he and that paper are about.

it's not that ridiculous an article. it points out that arsene has no right to complain, given arsenal have loaned out players all over the place, a lot of whom are influencing other leagues.

to be honest, I am a little worried about loans as the big clubs turn into these great black holes of talent, that chelsea have lukaku and cortois out on loan while they maintain a CL and premiership challenging squad is ridiculous. they'll either sell them for huge profit or can just recall them back. there's far too many advantages for clubs that can afford to chuck a few bob around.

it's not that ridiculous an article. it points out that arsene has no right to complain, given arsenal have loaned out players all over the place, a lot of whom are influencing other leagues.

the first third or so is utter, utter turd.

He does almost hit on the real problem towards the end but he's doing that sensationalist mountain out of a molehill thing and trying to create controversy to write about.

It's entirely incongruous (or worse disingenuous) to complain about financial fair play and parity and then criticise one of the few systems that helps the less well off clubs to compete with clubs who dwarf their spending.

There are a lot of problems with the finances of football. A side loaning players they wouldn't normally be able to afford either isn't one, is one only as a result of the bigger problems which actually need to be addressed, or is one of so little importance it doesn't justify that type of article.

to be honest, I am a little worried about loans as the big clubs turn into these great black holes of talent, that chelsea have lukaku and cortois out on loan while they maintain a CL and premiership challenging squad is ridiculous. they'll either sell them for huge profit or can just recall them back. there's far too many advantages for clubs that can afford to chuck a few bob around.

I'm a bit on the fence, but i think I agree 100% with this.

ste_mc_efc said:
There are a lot of problems with the finances of football. A side loaning players they wouldn't normally be able to afford either isn't one.

Is it really?. Its tricky, i personally don't min that Everton can have Lukaku, Delulafeu (spell check) & Barry - but the fact that in the cases of Barry & Lukaku in the premiership does look bad, that they can't play versus their parent club does seem bad.

Then of course lets say Everton get into the Champs league, most likely Chelsea will take back Lukaku. And if Barca cant get their transfer ban delayed, they will take back their spanish kid. So Everton will go into the C-League without two key players & that too looks a bit messy TBF.

Plus we have a similar scenario that could potentially happen if Chelsea faces Atletico in maybe in the c-league semi-finals/finals with that keeper.

Some interesting comments maybe by readers in response to the article here - MARTIN SAMUEL - THE DEBATE: I'm not anti-Everton, I'm just against the loan system - but the foolish paranoia of football fans never ceases to amaze me | Mail Online

Last edited:
Stopped reading seriously from this point on.

I often don't bother when I see the 2 names "Martin" and "Samuel" together, but seeing Stinky and War's posts, I might have to give it a read...

I back the Liverpool VS Man City game to be the game of the season, will be the decider of the title in my opinion.

It's entirely incongruous (or worse disingenuous) to complain about financial fair play and parity and then criticise one of the few systems that helps the less well off clubs to compete with clubs who dwarf their spending.

they don't really let you compete though, not with those clubs, it has so happened arsenal falling away has left a door open for everton to snag the coveted 4th place and the financial rewards (though given they'll have to play qualifiers to make the CL groups it might not be that earth shattering) but everton won't be getting any favours from the top clubs next year if they're throwing their hat in the ring for CL spots. It could be villa or newcastle that will be the benefactors next year.

I don't think loans are all bad but the bigger teams are pushing in the direction of trying to command more and more of the talent, in the early 90s you just wanted a good team and three or four world class players to polish it off, by the 2000s you wanted a full team of world class players, mid 2000s you needed an 20 man squad of ?30m players and now we're moving into territory that you have to have tapped up several of the worlds hottest young talents to develop. it's quite possible the next step is owning a large group of players and loaning them about. I don't think a situation where chelsea and man city commonly exert influence over the make up of other teams is a good thing.

a wage cap would be the best half way ground, these guys are only moving to chelsea/city to then get loaned out because of the huge wages involved. cut wages out and what reason does courtois have to be at atletico via chelsea?

I back the Liverpool VS Man City game to be the game of the season, will be the decider of the title in my opinion.

No one game has ever decided the title except for that Liverpool vs Arsenal game at Anfield in 1989, however, whoever wins this game will be the favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread