English wicketkeepers

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Paul Nixon was the best of them all, the only one who was at least entertaining for us Aussies.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
As a one off, opinions on Steven Davies?

He's ok, don't rate him particularly highly. Could be an option in ODi cricket, but with Craig Kieswetter elegible for England late this year and Prior starting to play better at #4 it could be hard for him getting in. I do firmly believe that Foster should be 2nd in line for the Test gloves though. His batting really isn't as bad as many make out and could comfortably bat 7 for England. I don't think Davies should be too high up the pecking order really, he'd be behind Prior, Foster and Ambrose in Test cricket (with Kieswetter ahead of him once eligible) and behind Prior, Kieswetter and Foster in ODi's.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Paul Nixon was the best of them all, the only one who was at least entertaining for us Aussies.

So true, I remember the Tri Series a few years ago, he was really entertaining to watch.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
He was hyped up. He's average with the gloves at best, his most notable feature is his voicebox. He was billed up as a very attacking batsman... and wowed nobody.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He wasn't that good, but at least he gave 110%, always busted his nut for the team. He had good spirit...Unlike some other England players.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
He's ok, don't rate him particularly highly. Could be an option in ODi cricket, but with Craig Kieswetter elegible for England late this year and Prior starting to play better at #4 it could be hard for him getting in. I do firmly believe that Foster should be 2nd in line for the Test gloves though. His batting really isn't as bad as many make out and could comfortably bat 7 for England. I don't think Davies should be too high up the pecking order really, he'd be behind Prior, Foster and Ambrose in Test cricket (with Kieswetter ahead of him once eligible) and behind Prior, Kieswetter and Foster in ODi's.

:laugh

One game.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Wasn't even at #4 actually. He's played 4 games batting 3 and scored 114 runs at 38 at a strike rate of 85. Much better than his efforts down the order or opening. 1 game is what you're basing your judgement on Mustard on as well, he certainly did nothing in the others to indicate he had serious talent. Another 1 season wonder that flopped at International level.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Um I've seen Mustard play more then one game. But because his form has been so poor since he was droped the chances of him playing for England are pretty slim. He looked better then Prior and Ambrose when looking to score quickly.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I didn't say you hadn't seen him play only 1 game, just that he only performed in 1 game and it appears that's what you're basing your love of him on, and that one game he performed in was on a dreadfully flat deck on a tiny ground. He's a mindless slogger and a very average wicket-keeper. Prior and Ambrose are far better batsmen.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Ambrose has scored about five runs in his ODI career, I would say Mustard did a far better job then he did. And if Mustard is just a mindless slogger how does Luke Wright get into the England team?

Prior is a better batsmen no doubt, but his ODI game is very poor. I would take Mustard opening over Prior opening.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Wright's a better slogger than Mustard. Think that just about sums Mustard up.

Lucky that Prior doesn't open anymore then. If Prior plays properly and isn't instructed to slog at the top of the order like he was under Fletcher and Moores, then he could be a very good ODi keeper, certainly better than Mustard. There are so many better opening batsmen than Mustard in England, and how you can continually call for his inclusion in the ODi side baffles me. Do you rate Jerome Taylor as an competent batsman as well? Given he slapped your boys about on a flat track?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
The reason I call for Mustard to be included in the England ODI team is that I haven't seen anyone do any better. In NZ he was decent, he played in the two T20's and hit a very quick 30 iirc. Then when we went over in the winter Ambrose got the call up and he was useless. Batting at six or seven he wasn't able to do anything, plus his keeping was very poor. And from what I've seen of Prior isn't much better. Know I believe Davies played for England recently but I haven't seen him at all so I can't comment on him but those four are the last keepers to play for England in ODI cricket right?

Mustard
Prior
Ambrose

That's how I rate them as ODI batsmen. Btw how is Mustard going this season.

Any anyone that scores a test match hundred has batting ability, even if the bowling was shite ;)

BackwardPoint

Banned
Foster, the fellow in the recent t20 was very painful to watch while batting. They would have been better off with Prior. He has settled in rather nicely in the lower middle order but I still do not fancy him a good #6.

Users who are viewing this thread