Extinction Of Allrounders.

What caused the extinction of allrounders from world cricket?

• Total voters
Allrounders going extinct? Get real.

If anything they are on the rise. Sure they may be a momentary shortage of truly great allrounders but then allrounders of the past are always remembered with rose tinted specs and they are just as rare as truly great bowlers or truly great batsmen.

16k2y50.jpg

Last edited:
i didnt list those, those are the TOP TEN of the most recent time :rolleyes:

Ravinder Jadeja has some fantastic Ranji stats. Selected for the SL series and I hope he gets a go. Would really like to see him in action now.

Kallis is barely an allrounder these days anyways. I'd actually put Sehwag as one of the top Allrounders ATM.
Hmmm, did you see much of Kallis' bowling during this tour of Australia? He's bowled really well.

I think rather than the current 'drought' being a phase, it was simply the case that the 1980s was a phase where there was an unusally high number of quality allrounders. We've simply reverted to the norm since then.

Look Flintoff, Kapil Dev, etc were/are ridiulously talented allrounders. Its like saying atm why aren't there any more Tendulkars and McGraths?

Flintoff was hardly ridiculously talented. He was/is a good all-rounder but there have been a lot of better ones. Heck Jacques Kallis is a hell of a lot better then Flintoff ever was and for some reason he gets ignored.

Jacob Oram would be miles ahead if he didn't get injured all the time. I don't think people quite realize how impressive his Test record is in both batting and bowling. Seems under-rated. Most people talk about him as an ODI player.

Last edited:
Shakib definetley deserves that top spot. He's been superb to say the least.

Heck, What is Yuvi doing in there? :p

He's played a lot of cricket lately and does deserve it. Oram will take back his spot against India (and Australia if he plays). Don't worry about that. ;)

Is this the first time a Bangladesh player has been on top in the rankings? I'd be willing to bet it's a first.

Last edited:
He's played a lot of cricket lately and does deserve it. Oram will take back his spot against India (and Australia if he plays). Don't worry about that. ;)

Is this the first time a Bangladesh player has been on top in the rankings? I'd be willing to bet it's a first.

yea too bad for Oram that he cant stay healthy and show what he can really do. Even the little that he played against the WI he was not 100%.

I would also take that bet.

Freddie Flintoff: unarguably the best allrounder in world cricket at the moment, lethal on any kind of track and more than handy with the bat. Everyone knows how he destroyed Aussies in Ashes(thats when i become his fan). Though after that he has been suffering from injuries and only now he is hundred percent fitscored tons and tons of runs. He had provided wickets at the right time.

Unarguably? No way. The man is a brilliant bowler and when he is good, he's one of the best in the world but his batting is nowhere near good enough to be called the best alrounder in the world.

That's just what I think. Kallis is the best for me. Always takes wickets, always makes a few.

no Rafiq was on top 10 all and Razzak was top 10 odi bowler ..so you can say 3rd :p

Users who are viewing this thread