Favourite and least favourite commentators

DD National commentators for the India-Pakistan series have to be the worst in the world. Even Ranjit Fernando is better than them, well maybe not. They spoil the whole experience with their stupidity.
I agree with everyone else that Bumble is the best.

Those DD National English commentators make Fernando and Athar Ali Khan sound like Richie Benaud !
They are that bad. They`ve spoilt the whole excitement of the Indo-Pak series for me.
As I type, I just come to know from their commentary that their names are Gurpreet,Rajinder and Ajay Saxena ! They cannot speak gramatically correct English which is the most important pre-requisite for the job, they take 5 pauses in each sentence !
They`ll be on top of the most-hated list !

Some of their classics include
" Shoaib can bring it `inside`, no matter he is bowling fast !"
"Gurpreet, we`ve seen a lot of cricket but not an innings like what Misbah played !"
" Rubbing onto the wounds with the salts (DDs version of rubbing salt onto the wounds)"
"Kumble tends to bowl at 90 miles an hour (instead of kph)!"

My favorites would be the ESPNSTAR Team (which now includes Ian Chappel), the Channel 9 team (except Healy and Taylor), Bumble ,Boycott
Tony Graig i think is best. he has good voice tone and nice style. i enjoy his commentry.

He tends to speak some crap sometimes/(most of the times) !
He messes up with the names of the players many times.

Sivaramakrishnan actually has a good knowledge of the game as well as good command over the language. He does not have the voice though and his tone is poor !

Last edited:
favourite - Toy Greig

least favourite - ranjit fernando, arun lal

I love Bumble,he is such a crack-up.

Most hated commentators would have to be all of the Australians apart from Richie and Michale Slater(the others are so biased)and I can not stand Tony Cozier either.

What is he doing with box?

77860.icon.jpg

Yeah love bumble. He's a hoot and can keep you entertained all the time. I love his expressions when sky sports pans onto the commentary box. The best I heard was last year when SL were playing Eng in the 3rd test at trent bridge i think and on the final day i think it was collingwood who hit the ball on to his foot and short leg caught it. It was crystal clear that it came from the boot and caught and was out but bumble was hilarious. He kept saying '' oooh am not so sure am not so sure in his accent and beefy and the rest of the box were cracking up!!!

Least fav definitly ranjit fernando. Can't we find better commentators from SL arghhhh

Hate:
Geoffrey Boycott - So damn annoying.
Aamir Sohail - Always says. "The Pakistanis"
Rameez Raja - Whenever he praises Pakistan, something bad happens to them.

Like:
Michael Holding - The "bowled him!" is BRILLIANT :D
Bill Lawry - Do not know why but I like his commentary.
Ian Bishop - He is cool.

Hate:
Geoffrey Boycott - So damn annoying.
Aamir Sohail - Always says. "The Pakistanis"
Rameez Raja - Whenever he praises Pakistan, something bad happens to them.

Like:
Michael Holding - The "bowled him!" is BRILLIANT :D
Bill Lawry - Do not know why but I like his commentary.
Ian Bishop - He is cool.

Lol, he's a curse to everyone. I remember once in a test against India he said when Laxman came on "Laxman is a very good batsman, he's done extremely well with against the Aussies. His strong point is his defence, it's really hard to crack through". First ball up, he was cleaned up by Asif. :p

Favourites

Richie Benaud. THE voice of cricket on the TV.
Aggers, CMJ, Blowers et al. The voices of cricket full stop.

Dislike

Mark Nicholas. Does anyone need to ask ;)

wat do you guy's think about the new supersport commentator ( former SA bowler ) Alan Donald , i think hes kinda boring.

wat do you guy's think about the new supersport commentator ( former SA bowler ) Alan Donald , i think hes kinda boring.

He surely sounds boring. Robin Jackman is best in SA.

Favs
Bill Lawry - Is a LEGEND...BAAAANGG is a trademark and his balls continuously dropping is hilarious.
Richie Benaud - Is just a legend.

Michael Holding - Sexiest voice I have ever heard.

Hate
Tony Grieg - Your just a tool, you say some stupid s--t.
Damien Fleming - Sounds like he has a cold 24/7. Someone get this man some anti-biotics!
Geoff Boycott - Is probably a good commentator and I loved him as a Cricketer...but damn...if I had to listen to that accent for more then 5 minutes I think my ears might start bleeding. So bloody annoying that accent is.
Ian Healy - Stop embarrassing yourself and go do some 'Keeping coaching at the academy or something instead.

I have to agree.

I like slats as well, hes not too bad.

Hate:

Laxman Shivaramakrisnan - He talks about random cr*p....and I hate his voice, he'd be perfect for 'Once Upon a Time, in the dark and scary forest.....'

Aamir Sohail - Also Talks about random cr*p including about Safari Parks and other places which are not interesting even though he insists they are....

Ian Botham - Underestimated the Indians far too much in the Summer saying that England will roll over India in the test series far too much....In other words I think he is far too biased.

Like:

Ramiz Raja - Knows his cricket and keeps coming up with interesting cricket facts, also he is completly unbiased...

Ravi Shastri - Makes the match sound really exciting with his commentary without exaggerating anything...

Michael Holding - I simply like the West Indian accent!.....and in the summer when Ramesh Powar was batting at the non-strikers end, he said 'Well, Roly Poly's at the other end....' :rtfl

David Lloyd (Bumble) - No reason required....:p

Slats - Again makes the match exciting and has a sense of humour....Like when Australia needed 20 off the last ball in the Twenty20 Semifinal. he said ' 20 of 1 needed!, a tad hard....'

Last edited:
I relate to all the commentators I hear, mostly through Sky Sports, in different ways. I wouldn't say I have a favorite or a villain because, come on, there just commentators. But yes, you grow to their personalities over time.

Michael Holdings prolly the commentator I enjoy listening to the most. No secret its his accent. He's just got that lazy West Indian, almost drole tone his voice that just makes you want to sit in the sun, smoking a nice big doob, pint in hand, watchin the game.

I've never liked Michael Slater and i'm not entirely sure why.

Toni Greigs a worthy commentator as well. Again, hes got that unusual accent that just adds that little sparkle to his commentating. Plus he's born a Scot which gives him bonus points in my book.

Simon Hughes comes across as a very articulate and smart man. Always sounds like he knows what hes talking about.

Geoff Boycotts an arse.

Users who are viewing this thread