Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

Realistic timing ( timing in real time): where it feels like your waiting for the ball to come onto the bat and playing the ball off the pitch.

The problem with picking up line and length has been a flaw in every cricket game because you are made to play your shots so early. The quick fix used by many games was the pitch marker so you at least know where the ball would end up. The timing in every cricket game is basically pick up the line and length as quickly as possible and initiate the shot. You know for fast bowlers you have to pick it up quick, more time for fast medium, slows etc. The timing doesn't feel natural doesn't really feel like your middling it.

The problem with being made to play your shots so early is that you are not aloud to react to pitch conditions and swing/seam/spin. For example you try to smash it through cover and its edged to slip. In the replay you clearly see that there was some out swing , but because you are forced to play shots so early you weren't aloud to react to it in real time. You have already initiated the shot before the ball has even started to shape away. Batting would be more enjoyable if you are able to react to the phenomena of the ball through the air and off the pitch. Just seems a waste implementing movement in the game which is clearly visible in the replays but when batting you are not aloud to react to it.

For example batting on a green top would be alot more enjoyable if we are able to time the ball in real time. The ball would zip through more than a flat pitch so you would feel more hurried and would be conscious of swing when batting. Currently conditions just seems cosmetic cause we cant react/ajdust shots in real time to the phenomena of the ball.

Timing in Real time would take advantage of the uniqueness of the pitches and conditions. You would be adjusting your game, e.g., at Wacca with extra bounce you will look more to get on the bck foot, on a dry Indian pitch you would have to look to get on the front foot and look out for balls that grip and turn sharply. The way timing is in the current game you are hurried to play shots, its already hard to pick up line and length let alone have the time to react to the phenomena of the ball

That's why slow balls are so lethal in this game, you are so fixated on picking up the line and length so you don't really have the time to react to changes of pace.

Last edited:
Realistic timing ( timing in real time): where it feels like your waiting for the ball to come onto the bat and playing the ball off the pitch.

The problem with picking up line and length has been a flaw in every cricket game because you are made to play your shots so early. The quick fix used by many games was the pitch marker so you at least know where the ball would end up. The timing in every cricket game is basically pick up the line and length as quickly as possible and initiate the shot. You know for fast bowlers you have to pick it up quick, more time for fast medium, slows etc. The timing doesn't feel natural doesn't really feel like your middling it.

The problem with being made to play your shots so early is that you are not aloud to react to pitch conditions and swing/seam/spin. For example you try to smash it through cover and its edged to slip. In the replay you clearly see that there was some out swing , but because you are forced to play shots so early you weren't aloud to react to it in real time. You have already initiated the shot before the ball has even started to shape away. Batting would be more enjoyable if you are able to react to the phenomena of the ball through the air and off the pitch. Just seems a waste implementing movement in the game which is clearly visible in the replays but when batting you are not aloud to react to it.

I agree with @Gayan 's post not the entire one though but one thing. Since there is some pick up time differences with various types of bowling in the game. i.e. We've to play a little late and wait for the ball to land on the surface for the spinners and slow medium pacers whereas we have to play the ball similar to what is done real time for pacers.
So what i agree with Gayan's post is that there should be a lot more importance for the swing with the new ball and the batsman should feel and adjust his game according to the type of pitch as well as the pace and swing of the ball. As he mentioned earlier we can see quiet well that the ball has swung and we have not reacted to the movement of the ball in the replays, but not while we are playing. I think trying this will add more realistic gameplay.

For career mode a quick suggestion popped up in my mind, not sure if its suggested before or no. In career mode almost everybody seems to skip the fielding part, so the idea is making the fielding a part of the game as well. for example if we are gonna get a catch/a run out chance by us while simulating to career mode we would be taken to that ball being played. And this is not impossible to do as an android game called cricket career beginnings has already made it possible. So with some effort this would really be an awesome addition in my opinion :D

For example batting on a green top would be alot more enjoyable if we are able to time the ball in real time. The ball would zip through more than a flat pitch so you would feel more hurried and would be conscious of swing when batting. Currently conditions just seems cosmetic cause we cant react/ajdust shots in real time to the phenomena of the ball.

Timing in Real time would take advantage of the uniqueness of the pitches and conditions. You would be adjusting your game, e.g., at Wacca with extra bounce you will look more to get on the bck foot, on a dry Indian pitch you would have to look to get on the front foot and look out for balls that grip and turn sharply. The way timing is in the current game you are hurried to play shots, its already hard to pick up line and length let alone have the time to react to the phenomena of the ball

That's why slow balls are so lethal in this game, you are so fixated on picking up the line and length so you don't really have the time to react to changes of pace.
But how would you implement this? Many people are saying that the timing is already too difficult. I get the point you are making but dont see how you think this can be done: just saying Real Time doesnt get it done....[DOUBLEPOST=1461486954][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly the kind of thing that's really helpful to bring up. Little things that (at least as far as I know) would be relatively small fixes/changes that would have big benefits, but equally are relatively minor so they don't otherwise hit the top of the list of feature requests/feedback.
Would seeing ballwear fall into this category?

I think one way of fixing the timing could be to just alter the timing window against faster bowlers so that we don't have to premeditate shots to get the timing right.

Another thing is, in DBC 14, the pace of the ball didn't seem like it affected the timing. What I mean is, a well timed non-triggered shot through the square leg region against a spin bowler will go just as quickly to the boundary as the same shot played against a fast bowler. In real life, such a shot against spinners would probably just trickle past the 30 yard circle. I'm not sure if the game factors the pace of the ball when deciding how far and quickly a ball would go off a well timed non-triggered shot.

If the pace was a factor, we should be able play square and behind square shots against fast bowlers pretty late.

For the purpose of that post I was thinking of bits of feedback on things that were in DBC14 but had little niggling issues with them - they're often really easy to sort out, just a matter of remembering to do so, as the nature of little nitpicky issues is that you'll find a workaround to it, or just get used to it, and forget how much of a problem you found it.

However, my point was to encourage posts on the little things - rather than discourage posts on broader problems or feature requests, so don't worry if something doesn't fall into that category.

Gottcha....

Perhaps the following: I was wondering whether it would be possible to set a field for a certain bowler against a certain batsman. Now we have x which sets that field for all batsman but ideally you would want to set the field for who was on strike and who was bowling...
So for example over a is fastbowler with a more defensive field for x and a more attacking field for y

Whilst over 2 is an offspinner with men around the bat for y and more defensive for x

That would save a lot of bother having to go through the menus each time.....

1. Would it be possible to have an option in career mode to keep bowling a bowler whilst simulating until his fatigue level reaches a threshold or until the bowler has finished his quota of overs?

2. It's possible that this may have been brought up before, but I'd really like to see the BARS data preserved across innings and play sessions.

I was thinking of bits of feedback on things that were in DBC14 but had little niggling issues with them.

...well in the same wheelhouse, could we give the batsman something to do while the bowler changes the field/views the field/changes sides? Rather than the 'point-with-the-bat' could there be an animation where he maybe:

- Checks his guard with the umpire?
- Walks down taps the pitch?
- Walks off to the leg side and fiddles with his gloves?
- Does the 'spins bat' thing with the handle then adjusts his pads/box/bat?

- Checks his guard and fiddles with the umpire?
- Walks down taps the umpire?
- Walks off to the leg side and fiddles with silly mid-on?
- Does the 'spins bat' thing with the handle then adjusts his partners box?

Fixed it all.....:p

I have no issue with any of that so long as during the toss there's a 'buys me a drink first' animation... Heads or tails at that point, everyone wins.

That's not "better" because it doesn't fix acid's problem if someone doesn't have the radar & is scanning.

Not saying there shouldn't be an optional field radar (aka tosser mode) but that if there was it doesn't fix the mentioned problem in the event of it being toggled off

It would still work as you can at least speed up half the match when you don't have to scan the field for 3-4 secs every delivery, which is quite a lot when you play a T20 match. Practically it will help much more than that coz you generally play online matches with your friends or in an online league where you know the folks you are playing with. Thus, more chances the people in the league will adhere to the league rule of using 'field radar' in online matches instead of holding up the play for a few secs every delivery. In fact this would help folks like me who are strapped for time to hurry up the offline mode as well. I won't have to look at the field at all in offline gameplay or career mode if I've an option to toggle on the 'field radar'. I barely get to play 45 mins or thereabouts a day on average and would like to maximize the game time as much as possible.

This makes a lot of sense but the problem is the current technology doesn't allow the option of instantaneous controller feedback. You have to account for the fact that it will take a few msecs for controller to communicate with the game, for the TV to process the signal etc. and if it's an online game, the network latency will need to be factored in as well. All in all the ideal scenario you are proposing, i.e. use the controller to play the ball as soon as the ball is in the hitting range isn't likely to be a practical option. You always have to factor in the delays and latency that are part of the process of passing the controller feedback to the game and the same being reflected on the visual device (TV or monitor).

It would still work as you can at least speed up half the match when you don't have to scan the field for 3-4 secs every delivery, which is quite a lot when you play a T20 match. Practically it will help much more than that coz you generally play online matches with your friends or in an online league where you know the folks you are playing with. Thus, more chances the people in the league will adhere to the league rule of using 'field radar' in online matches instead of holding up the play for a few secs every delivery. In fact this would help folks like me who are strapped for time to hurry up the offline mode as well. I won't have to look at the field at all in offline gameplay or career mode if I've an option to toggle on the 'field radar'. I barely get to play 45 mins or thereabouts a day on average and would like to maximize the game time as much as possible.

This makes a lot of sense but the problem is the current technology doesn't allow the option of instantaneous controller feedback. You have to account for the fact that it will take a few msecs for controller to communicate with the game, for the TV to process the signal etc. and if it's an online game, the network latency will need to be factored in as well. All in all the ideal scenario you are proposing, i.e. use the controller to play the ball as soon as the ball is in the hitting range isn't likely to be a practical option. You always have to factor in the delays and latency that are part of the process of passing the controller feedback to the game and the same being reflected on the visual device (TV or monitor).
I think it is a point that a better responsiveness and a much greater amount of movement and shot possibilities will make for a better gameplay: do BA have the resources for the many many more animation sequences this requires?

But how would you implement this? Many people are saying that the timing is already too difficult. I get the point you are making but dont see how you think this can be done: just saying Real Time doesnt get it done....[DOUBLEPOST=1461486954][/DOUBLEPOST]

Well the idea I had for timing is that we play shots in real time. So basically you pull the right stick when the ball is close, this way you see the line and length before playing the shot and timing feels natural. You should get ur feet ready/in position as the ball is coming down but the bat swing with the right stick occurs when the ball is close.

e.g when playing behind the wicket you wait till the ball is abit in front of you/in line/ slightly past you depending on whether ur looking to use the pace of the ball to run it down or more looking to play a cut shot. so when the ball is close you pull right stick back.

e.g. the ball is full , watching the ball approach you u see that it is full from the trajectory so u press forward, wait for the ball to be close to hitting the batsmen's toe then pull right stick across to flick it through square leg.

e.g the bowler bowls a seam up ball, going off the trajectory you think it will be good length just outside off stump so you are looking to punch it . From the tradgetory you can see its a good length so u press forward waiting for the ball to hit the pitch and approach the batsmen. From this trajectory u are looking to drive it through mid off. However after hitting the pitch the balls seams in , if you pick this movement up you will adjust your shot more straighter or even look to go more leg side. So the bat swing with the right stick is played in real time. If you are good enough to pick up this seam movement off the pitch you will will pull the right stick straight or more leg side. if you do not pick it up you play the straight drive as you were looking to do off the trajectory and are bowled.

Another example would be the ball holding up off the pitch . going off the pace of the ball you have an idea of the perfect time to pull the right stick to play the shot, however the ball grips and holds up off the surface. if you pull the right stick as per normal u might be hitting the ball too early, hitting it down the fielders throat. If you are good enough to realise that the ball held up off the pitch you will hold back a touch before pulling the right stick.

Timing: Pulling the right stick (bat swing) at the right time is all about feel and judgement you just know when its right.

Isn't this way alot easier then the current timing system in the game? This way you get a good sight of the trajectory because you are in control of the shot right till it ball is in line with the batting crease. So you have plenty of time to see the line and length and get your feet set. its a matter of pulling the right stick at the perfect time as the ball is nearing the batting crease. This way it actually feels like you are timing the ball and are able to adjust shots if you are good enough to react to the movement.

Users who are viewing this thread