Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

You are right about making it challenging but how do you expect that to be implemented...If its like adjustment made in the length differing the input given then it would become like a bug in the eyes of the player...

what we have now is just a region of needle stopping were it says perfect make it a lot tougher to get that i would even tie to the bowler's confidence and rhythm a lot.

Also make 'Good timing' more varied and open that window a bit so that more lengths are covered, Right now the fact that 'good window' is small is what makes it easier to land on the spot a lot make it more varied and less on the spot, I would ideally include the 'early regions' to the good length too, More of the whole range of dial [atleast half of it] can be used for more regions of the pitch instead of using them for marking bad deliveries and no balls.

Also i would make certain things more attrib based or skill based, like yorkers and short ones unless the bowler isn't built for that it doesn't mater if the user stops the needle at say short and good, it shouldn't be a vicious bouncer of an Johnson it should just be what is short and good of that bowler.

even better would be a different hud system that is more on the bowler than on the side of the screen. with the essence of what i have said above to make it challenging.

what we have now is just a region of needle stopping were it says perfect make it a lot tougher to get that i would even tie to the bowler's confidence and rhythm a lot.

Also make 'Good timing' more varied and open that window a bit so that more lengths are covered, Right now the fact that 'good window' is small is what makes it easier to land on the spot a lot make it more varied and less on the spot, I would ideally include the 'early regions' to the good length too, More of the whole range of dial [atleast half of it] can be used for more regions of the pitch instead of using them for marking bad deliveries and no balls.

Also i would make certain things more attrib based or skill based, like yorkers and short ones unless the bowler isn't built for that it doesn't mater if the user stops the needle at say short and good, it shouldn't be a vicious bouncer of an Johnson it should just be what is short and good of that bowler.

even better would be a different hud system that is more on the bowler than on the side of the screen. with the essence of what i have said above to make it challenging.

Simplest and most feasible option is to make the 'green zone' while bowling large or small depending on bowler's skill level. For a more skilled bowler (McGrath), the green zone should be large, for average bowlers (Dinda) it should be small which should be difficult to nail on a consistent basis and for part timers or poor bowlers, green zone should be miniscule and extremely tough to bowl decent deliveries. This is something similar to Pocket Cricket.

My solution to making one bowler more accurate than another is to actually go back to the bowling marker method. The difference being that it would not be visible. An accurate bowler would have a small circle while a less accurate one would have a larger one and the ball would land anywhere within the circle. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to land the ball on the same spot, ball after ball with a lower rated bowler and there would be no need to change the current bowling system. If it could be made to increase/decrease dependant on confidence/ fatigue it would be even better.

Please make next release version of this game to be DSR(dynamic super resolution) compatible which nvidia offers. Currently nvidia doesn't even show this in supported games list for turning on this feature. If I force assign game's display to higher resolution than my monitor's, it crashes.

My solution to making one bowler more accurate than another is to actually go back to the bowling marker method. The difference being that it would not be visible. An accurate bowler would have a small circle while a less accurate one would have a larger one and the ball would land anywhere within the circle. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to land the ball on the same spot, ball after ball with a lower rated bowler and there would be no need to change the current bowling system. If it could be made to increase/decrease dependant on confidence/ fatigue it would be even better.

How would you place it without a visible indicator? Because this is exactly how all the Codies games worked, and when we tried it with no visible marker, people HATED it - Just couldn't work out where the ball was going and felt like it was a total guesswork thing.

How would you place it without a visible indicator? Because this is exactly how all the Codies games worked, and when we tried it with no visible marker, people HATED it - Just couldn't work out where the ball was going and felt like it was a total guesswork thing.

It would be no different to how the bowling is currently, just that with less accurate bowlers you wouldn't be able to put it on the same spot ball after ball.

It would be no different to how the bowling is currently, just that with less accurate bowlers you wouldn't be able to put it on the same spot ball after ball.
A correct line ball if because of less skills ending up as a wide would lead to frustration to the player and some might even consider this as a bug...

A correct line ball if because of less skills ending up as a wide would lead to frustration to the player and some might even consider this as a bug...

not really. if accuracy skills/attributes in the academy mean anything, then lower skills should give a bigger possible landing area for a given input than it would for a higher-skilled bowler. this is a much more elegant solution than making the input more sensitive/harder to place.

The key to making bowling better, for me, is to, rather than manually specify where you want to put the ball, is to instead specify what you are hoping to achieve with it.

IE: "I am trying to catch the batsman LBW" - we now move to a sub-set list of how to do that: Yorker, slower ball, swinging in etc (options change depending on the type of bowler, and their abilities).
Now the execution of the delivery determines how close to doing that thing you get: a perfect execution on a yorker and he's in trouble: get it wrong and it's a full toss and over the rope before you can do anything about it.

"In the corridor, hoping for an edge" - execution sees how good a ball it is: poor execution and its wide and safe for the batsman to hit.

It's a much better system than anything seen before, because the game knows exactly what's going on - setting fields becomes easier because they are set to a pre-defined plan. The batting system becomes easier because the game knows how good a ball is. Risk/reward can be set up. Attributes become more important (and cohesive) AND it fixes the biggest problem with all cricket games: it makes it easy for a player to get feedback on what they are doing right and wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1439198787][/DOUBLEPOST]Incidentally,

Huge NO to this dont want any sort of button mashing mechanism in cricket game i hate them

I don't get this: You don't want a repeated press of R2, say, but you're happy with a repeated spin of R3? So against button mashing, but pro stick-mashing?

The key to making bowling better, for me, is to, rather than manually specify where you want to put the ball, is to instead specify what you are hoping to achieve with it.

IE: "I am trying to catch the batsman LBW" - we now move to a sub-set list of how to do that: Yorker, slower ball, swinging in etc (options change depending on the type of bowler, and their abilities).
Now the execution of the delivery determines how close to doing that thing you get: a perfect execution on a yorker and he's in trouble: get it wrong and it's a full toss and over the rope before you can do anything about it.

"In the corridor, hoping for an edge" - execution sees how good a ball it is: poor execution and its wide and safe for the batsman to hit.

It's a much better system than anything seen before, because the game knows exactly what's going on - setting fields becomes easier because they are set to a pre-defined plan. The batting system becomes easier because the game knows how good a ball is. Risk/reward can be set up. Attributes become more important (and cohesive) AND it fixes the biggest problem with all cricket games: it makes it easy for a player to get feedback on what they are doing right and wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1439198787][/DOUBLEPOST]

How is this to work? From menus? I wouldn't like that, it sounds very immersion breaking. you can do all this under the current system if you have the plan and it's about whether you have the skills and discipline to execute and stick with it - the only problem is the AI design is so poor there is no reward for probing the corridor, or setting up outwsingers for the big inswinger. that's what need to improve, the AI, the human input (with a minor tweak as suggested by @cooks1st100 to reflect the bowler's ability better) is great as is.

i'll say it again - evolution, not revolution.

It's a much better system than anything seen before, because the game knows exactly what's going on - setting fields becomes easier because they are set to a pre-defined plan. The batting system becomes easier because the game knows how good a ball is. Risk/reward can be set up. Attributes become more important (and cohesive) AND it fixes the biggest problem with all cricket games: it makes it easy for a player to get feedback on what they are doing right and wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1439198787][/DOUBLEPOST]Incidentally,

I don't get this: You don't want a repeated press of R2, say, but you're happy with a repeated spin of R3? So against button mashing, but pro stick-mashing?

Sorry Chief but this is a terrible concept, you would need at least 20 different options to choose from, it would be totally time consuming and not at all immersive. The current system is fine and a big improvement on what we have had previously.

How many different options do you think there would be per bowler, given their abilities and "the plan"? I suspect very few: once you eliminate balls that don't suit, the decision tree would basically come down to probably no more than 3 balls per run-up, selectable with one button press. It would be AS quick as the current system.

The current system is basically exactly the same as what we had in previous games, just mapped to slightly different inputs - there is no "plan", it's all ball-to-ball like previous games were with no real visible evidence of a longer game-plan, the field isn't aware of what the bowler is trying to do... etc etc.

Evolution would be the ability for the game to understand what the player is trying to do, and then punishing/rewarding them for doing it poorly. Then it can also advise them that they are trying to do the wrong things, and suggesting how they could improve. It fixes all sorts of problems.

It's a much better system than anything seen before, because the game knows exactly what's going on - setting fields becomes easier because they are set to a pre-defined plan. The batting system becomes easier because the game knows how good a ball is. Risk/reward can be set up. Attributes become more important (and cohesive) AND it fixes the biggest problem with all cricket games: it makes it easy for a player to get feedback on what they are doing right and wrong.
This thing with such options would be good for career IMO as captain can assign you a role as to what he needs from you depending on the situation...A cutscene of captain and bowler along with another bowler [maybe the one experienced] or vice captain of the team..And captain telling what he want maybe in a dialogue not or whatever style...But if such thing is implemented then would make career challenging and when bowling, the decision as to go for big shots, Rotate strikes etc by the partner if he is the better batsman and we taking the role of decision making when tailenders come in like stay with me, play this out, try to get a single or go for it etc...
These along with position of the career batsman based on his performance,maybe the decision of which position to bat on for county is fine but for the next level it must be based on the performance...Captain at international level should be able to make us change positions based on the nature of batting..If our strike rate is really high then make us go when the team has been going really well and captain wants keep the run rate up, he lets the career player in before the normal position...Sometimes it should be made to think ourselves as to perform according to the situation...Captain should punish the player if he performs really bad or even not performing the role assigned to him...Make him sit out 2 matches...Injuries in the team should make the positioning differ as if the team is trying different approach and role for the career player....It should be made enjoyable and surprising and should make us feel like we are in the game...Make the career more addictive...

This thing with such options would be good for career IMO as captain can assign you a role as to what he needs from you depending on the situation...A cutscene of captain and bowler along with another bowler [maybe the one experienced] or vice captain of the team..And captain telling what he want maybe in a dialogue not or whatever style...But if such thing is implemented then would make career challenging and when bowling, the decision as to go for big shots, Rotate strikes etc by the partner if he is the better batsman and we taking the role of decision making when tailenders come in like stay with me, play this out, try to get a single or go for it etc...
These along with position of the career batsman based on his performance,maybe the decision of which position to bat on for county is fine but for the next level it must be based on the performance...Captain at international level should be able to make us change positions based on the nature of batting..If our strike rate is really high then make us go when the team has been going really well and captain wants keep the run rate up, he lets the career player in before the normal position...Sometimes it should be made to think ourselves as to perform according to the situation...Captain should punish the player if he performs really bad or even not performing the role assigned to him...Make him sit out 2 matches...Injuries in the team should make the positioning differ as if the team is trying different approach and role for the career player....It should be made enjoyable and surprising and should make us feel like we are in the game...Make the career more addictive...

Yeah I like this a lot - The career mode I was always working up to was more of an RPG - You can't please everybody, so what are you in it for?
Reputation split across different areas - Fans, club, teammates, rankings etc. Scoring fast, explosive runs and taking risks may make you real popular with the fans, making loads of money etc, but maybe the international team don't want you as you can't be trusted to listen to the captain... Do you want to be selfish and try to rack up runs to improve your own stature, or play for the team and bat out a (boring) draw because that's what you're ordered to do?
Obeying orders keeps your national reputation high, but it doesn't necessarily further your career.
I love this as it gives it loads of re playability: you might choose to behave quite differently next time, it would be context-driven depending on who you were playing for and in what role... So much more depth.

Again, it's stuff that makes you feel like it's carrying over from ball-to-ball and match-to-match. I don't think any Cricket game has got anywhere near that. Every ball feels like a totally separate challenge and it makes it very easy for a player to drop out at any time without making a long-term investment in the game.

Yeah I like this a lot - The career mode I was always working up to was more of an RPG - You can't please everybody, so what are you in it for?
Reputation split across different areas - Fans, club, teammates, rankings etc. Scoring fast, explosive runs and taking risks may make you real popular with the fans, making loads of money etc, but maybe the international team don't want you as you can't be trusted to listen to the captain... Do you want to be selfish and try to rack up runs to improve your own stature, or play for the team and bat out a (boring) draw because that's what you're ordered to do?
Obeying orders keeps your national reputation high, but it doesn't necessarily further your career.
I love this as it gives it loads of re playability: you might choose to behave quite differently next time, it would be context-driven depending on who you were playing for and in what role... So much more depth.

Again, it's stuff that makes you feel like it's carrying over from ball-to-ball and match-to-match. I don't think any Cricket game has got anywhere near that. Every ball feels like a totally separate challenge and it makes it very easy for a player to drop out at any time without making a long-term investment in the game.
TBH I would love that, thats how I see a game, playing with the responsibility and role given and try fulfilling the challenges...This game can definitely lead to more depth and variety for sure..

Users who are viewing this thread