Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

It needs a narrative. Something that carries over through matches, tests and tournaments. Bigger goals. Rivalries to develop (between plays on the same team AND with opposition) and again, these depending on context. If you're playing for England or Australia it's all geared towards the Ashes. If India, you're probably focused on the World Cup, or more concerned about your IPL responsibilities.
Be the lynchpin opener who keeps the ship steady, or the explosive lower-middle order sent out to turn a game.

Goals change throughout as well - you may come in with orders to just hold on to your wicket. But if you do, and score quickly as well, then the goal is met, but another opens - "Win the Game". At the end of the match, you are the fans hero but the selectors may mark you down for taking unnecessary risk and going against the plan...

It needs a narrative. Something that carries over through matches, tests and tournaments. Bigger goals. Rivalries to develop (between plays on the same team AND with opposition) and again, these depending on context. If you're playing for England or Australia it's all geared towards the Ashes. If India, you're probably focused on the World Cup, or more concerned about your IPL responsibilities.
Be the lynchpin opener who keeps the ship steady, or the explosive lower-middle order sent out to turn a game.

Goals change throughout as well - you may come in with orders to just hold on to your wicket. But if you do, and score quickly as well, then the goal is met, but another opens - "Win the Game". At the end of the match, you are the fans hero but the selectors may mark you down for taking unnecessary risk and going against the plan...
Accepted thats where BA guys should make it more gamer friendly...Realistic is good but that needs to be tweaked when it comes to gaming similar to reducing the speed of bowling to make it playable...

I know that BA might be able to go big with more dressing room discussion on performance and even the response the career player has got...The feel good factor must be present...Even cutscene of even handing over the MOM award will be nice addition...Something rewarding for the effort put in by the player....Not just the XP...

I don't get this: You don't want a repeated press of R2, say, but you're happy with a repeated spin of R3? So against button mashing, but pro stick-mashing?

Its about how you feel bowling the spin, sure the stick rotation can be further improved to be more relatable to spin have more options etc but going to button thrusting will just make me feel like im wanking instead of spinning sorry.

The button smashing to fill the bar is one of the most horrible game design ever invented to make people feel like they are actually doing something in a game and to use that brainless method for one of the most thinking option in bowling would be downright awful especially after the much better system we had, i dont see the relation whatsoever between button smashing and the much better rotation system we have now this feels natural and can certainly be improved but i wouldn't go back.

Just imagine the scenario you have to press 15 times repeatedly to bowl a turner with shane warne at 2500+ rpm come on?

Last edited:
Its about how you feel bowling the spin, sure the stick rotation can be further improved to be more relatable to spin have more options etc but going to button thrusting will just make me feel like im wanking instead of spinning sorry.

The button smashing to fill the bar is one of the most horrible game design ever invented to make people feel like they are actually doing something in a game and to use that brainless method for one of the most thinking option in bowling would be downright awful especially after the much better system we had, i dont see the relation whatsoever between button smashing and the much better rotation system we have now this feels natural and can certainly be improved but i wouldn't go back.

Just imagine the scenario you have to press 15 times repeatedly to bowl a turner with shane warne at 2500+ rpm come on?

Don't get me wrong: I like the stick rotation. But I don't see that it's all that different to pressing or holding a button.
My problems with bowling are more fundamental: How do you define a "good ball"?

I said about the R2 implementation for rotation was for the ball screen suggestion I gave in the post...I really loved that game [dont remember the name] which has a button press for spinning and the amount of spin at the time of release determines the amount of turn you will be getting, this if implemented into DBC then it would just be awesome...The purpose for that R2 is to get the option of varying the amount of spin which is hard on the rotation technique [though I do like them in the game]...Varying spin meaning to confuse AI playing for the spin but getting beaten, even would be good for online play...The R2 will give us that control....

I said about the R2 implementation for rotation was for the ball screen suggestion I gave in the post...I really loved that game [dont remember the name] which has a button press for spinning and the amount of spin at the time of release determines the amount of turn you will be getting, this if implemented into DBC then it would just be awesome...The purpose for that R2 is to get the option of varying the amount of spin which is hard on the rotation technique [though I do like them in the game]...Varying spin meaning to confuse AI playing for the spin but getting beaten, even would be good for online play...The R2 will give us that control....

IC10 worked like that: R2 controlled spin/swing at the point of release, the more depressed the more spin you were trying to get. It then went on the execution: good execution and you got the required spin/swing, poor execution and you didn't. I think that the more you were TRYING to get, the more important it was to execute right (if it was poor then you were double punished).

I liked that system - Even better if you were playing with no on-screen markers. One thing we toyed with was having a "fake" button on L2 so that you could actually display a different output onscreen than the one you were actually bowling, but I don't think that made it in the final game.

My problems with bowling are more fundamental: How do you define a "good ball"?

In a broader sense i don't think we can decide it even in real cricket either apart from say give it some flight and pitch it up or on the rough for spin.
Plus We have to base it more on batsman skill, weakness n form against bowler type, plus the level of spin, pitch, the surprise factor etc
The control system should give me the freedom to choose the type of delivery, whether its good or not should be determined by the above. Like a flighted delivery can be good on a dusty pitch were as on seaming one pushing one through like darts will be better to maintain control.

To me the value of good bowling is largely undermined in DBC14 right now by the AI batting which is unrewarding to good bowling rather than the bowling system itself not being good.
The AI Batting just doesn't get it to give you a good bowling experience challenging & rewarding of now.

Even though its just stick rotation the level of control it gives to vary an delivery is evident in online play, people come with varied level of rotation for timing and position to vary the deliveries it does that while still givng a room for error on the human part to make it not too easy to set something up you will have ot work for your deliveries, with some more tweaking the level of control and variation can be more challenging and endless with that system something im not sure the button system can replicate.

Varying spin meaning to confuse AI playing for the spin but getting beaten, even would be good for online play

The rotation system should be tweaked to have better control over Spin etc but this system helps maintaining the human factor of not just getting it right all the time against the button one. Online spin is fantastic people can mix up deliveries in a hundred different ways. As stated above the AI batting largely doesn't let the bowling shine.

It's a complex ol' sport. :)

Fundamentally though, there IS a "correct" shot to play for every ball. It might be that it's a leave, a duck, a block, or a bosh out the ground.
It comes down to whether you can teach the AI what the RIGHT thing to do in the situation is, and then add layers of what might cause them to NOT be able to play it.

Bowling AI comes down to risk/reward, attacking/defensive intent. And, most importantly, setting the field to suit what you are going to bowl once those first two things have informed that decision.

It all starts with the match situation awareness and making sure the player knows that the games knows what that is. It's a very sad state of affairs that the only game which I can think of that did this (in an *incredibly* basic way) was Wii Cricket. It was an incredibly basic implementation (as indeed it was in ALL areas), but it was best-in-class in that category. Which is sad, because it's not exactly a complicated thing to do.

I know it has been said before. But then again want to mention that it will be very good to have some taunting or sledging option where bowler, keeper or the close fielders will go near the batsman and taunt him. That time the AI batsman will feel nervous and will try to play shots but the shots will have less accuracy and will lead to edges, catches etc. But it may not effect that much to the set batsman. But if the set batsman fails to hit the ball 3-4 consecutive deliveries, he also may get exposed to the sledging .

Please make next release version of this game to be DSR(dynamic super resolution) compatible which nvidia offers. Currently nvidia doesn't even show this in supported games list for turning on this feature. If I force assign game's display to higher resolution than my monitor's, it crashes.

Surendar I have a Nvidia Graphics card and I have tried dynamic Super Resolution a few times in Don Bradman Cricket 14 but it lags quite a bit. try Going to Global setting in Graphics control panel.

I know it has been said before. But then again want to mention that it will be very good to have some taunting or sledging option where bowler, keeper or the close fielders will go near the batsman and taunt him. That time the AI batsman will feel nervous and will try to play shots but the shots will have less accuracy and will lead to edges, catches etc. But it may not effect that much to the set batsman. But if the set batsman fails to hit the ball 3-4 consecutive deliveries, he also may get exposed to the sledging .
I feel that sledging shouldnt even be part of the game...Totally my opinion but if you can get the ball to talk then why sledge...Again My opinion...

Surendar I have a Nvidia Graphics card and I have tried dynamic Super Resolution a few times in Don Bradman Cricket 14 but it lags quite a bit. try Going to Global setting in Graphics control panel.

Hey there, that's interesting. Does DBC comes up in 'supported games' list in GeForce experience? I get all my other games like F1, NBA, batman etc in the list where I click optimize and set the games to highest resolution possible & it will beautifully render on monitor though display monitor is of lower resolution.

Would like to know how you did this for DBC? I ll be extremely happy if I can do it for this game.

Speaking of which, next iteration of this game should also try pushing for display beyond HD limits, 4K mode. Would be a treat to play this in 4k display mode without doubts. May be, it's too much of a ask in second iteration. ;)

..Something rewarding for the effort put in by the player....Not just the XP...

Yeah, hope those XP points get converted to wages or add some life factors to the career player - like getting a new sponsor, inviting more club member fans, upgrading the gear by purchasing additional stuffs & ability to choose the gear before Match starts, attending some intensive training sessions by additional fee that can boost confidence right from ball 1 of a game etc.

I feel that sledging shouldnt even be part of the game...Totally my opinion but if you can get the ball to talk then why sledge...Again My opinion...
Sledging actually shows the intensity of the match. Playing with batsman's mind is what a bowling team does. Australian players does that a lot. And as long as it's authorized by ICC, it's good. Good bowling doesn't always gives you the expected outcome, sledging sometimes help you to get that. Sledging will actually reflect the on field pressure in the game. It may not work out that good in online matches. But it will look realistic in offline matches! just my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread